Barta on fence about Black Friday game

HawkeyeHypnosis

Iowa AD doesn't know if 'Black Friday' game with Nebraska will continue - CBSSports.com

I think we need to keep this game as it is. From article:

“[National exposure is] one of the benefits,â€￾ Barta said. “One of the challenges, and I've talked to a lot of our fans that say a Friday is more challenging. They're trying to be with family on Thanksgiving and then they try to get to Iowa City. Again, I can make a case where it works well, and I can make a case where we should go back to Saturday. As of yet, we haven't done anything to finalize it.â€￾

What an idiot, go ahead and toss away a national broadcasted game. Where as the clones would do anything for an spot on ABC every year. This is the leader of our program....

People will adapt.

Que the field of dreams speech- " They will come Ray.....

Exactly. Especially if we revive the program. We were 4-7 thus year and we damn near had a sellout (that wasn't nearly as many Nebby fans as I expected). This is the last change the program needs now.

I think there is a need to consider the impact of one less day on the people that must play the game and those who have to prepare a game plan. Barta is right that ultimately the fans and students should be considered. I imagine that students within 4 hour of IC go home for Thanksgiving and are not going to jump in the car and head back on Thursday evening for an 11 pm start. The student section was really empty in the southwest end zone. Heading back on Friday evening or early Saturday seems more realistic.

I think there is a need to consider the impact of one less day on the people that must play the game and those who have to prepare a game plan. Barta is right that ultimately the fans and students should be considered. I imagine that students within 4 hour of IC go home for Thanksgiving and are not going to jump in the car and head back on Thursday evening for an 11 pm start. The student section was really empty in the southwest end zone. Heading back on Friday evening or early Saturday seems more realistic.

The students won't go no matter which day the game is held. That's why the Big Ten used to end the season before Thanksgiving.

Irregardless, as for the guys playing, Iowa is basically NFLU and we need to prove that our guys can turn around and play in a short week and that also gives us the added advantage of an extra day of rest and preparation for the one time in the next 100 years we actually have the privilege of going to Indy to get spanked by OSU.

The empty part of the student section would be a non issue if the team was worth a ****. Iowa fans would have gobbled those empty student section seats up that the ticket office put on sale.

As a student this game sucked. Driving from des moines isnt bad, its driving from des moines, then going back home, then returning to IC that sunday.

Keeping the game on Friday, but getting it pushed back to at least 2:30, would be alright. But with the early kickoff, it creates more of a conflict with Thanksgiving.

As a student this game sucked. Driving from des moines isnt bad, its driving from des moines, then going back home, then returning to IC that sunday.

I understand, but is the result any different for a Saturday game? Would you just stay in Iowa City after a Saturday game?

I guess I like the novelty of it. I would love the whole thing if Iowa was still at its 2008-09 level and more competitive. Also, as someone who currently drives 2.5 hours each way to see my wife every weekend (including from 4-7 AM to make my Monday morning classes), I know that inconvenient arrangements are far from the worst thing in the world if you find the person/activity/experience waiting at the end of it worthwhile. If you'd rather add to the TV ratings for a Friday game than the turnstile count, you're absolutely free to.

I understand, but is the result any different for a Saturday game? Would you just stay in Iowa City after a Saturday game?

I guess I like the novelty of it. I would love the whole thing if Iowa was still at its 2008-09 level and more competitive. Also, as someone who currently drives 2.5 hours each way to see my wife every weekend (including from 4-7 AM to make my Monday morning classes), I know that inconvenient arrangements are far from the worst thing in the world if you find the person/activity/experience waiting at the end of it worthwhile. If you'd rather add to the TV ratings for a Friday game than the turnstile count, you're absolutely free to.

I love the game and it was worth it for me. But i completely understand others who aren't as committed Especially because I know plenty of people who weren't born hawks and dont live close who arent going to come back for a 4-8 team when its freezing.

I love the game and it was worth it for me. But i completely understand others who aren't as committed Especially because I know plenty of people who weren't born hawks and dont live close who arent going to come back for a 4-8 team when its freezing.

Fair enough, and I don't fault them. I think most years (where we would be at least 6-5 heading in), you're going to get a sellout, even with a few or many persons who regularly attend opting out because it's Friday (they will more often than not be replaced). If profitability is GarBar's concern, then he should wait it out.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me that BG is considering pros and cons to a Friday game. My guess is he will ultimately keep in on Friday. As someone earlier suggested, moving the game time a bit later in the day might help fans with family obligations.

Latest posts