Barta on fence about Black Friday game

Really should keep this game. National exposure on a day where we all the fatty Americans are sitting in front of the boob tube. But...we better start winning some soon or it will make us look even worse

1. You obviously don't follow B1G football very closely, but there are no night games allowed in November. 2. Do you have any idea how freaking cold that would be? This year's game was one of the coldest I can ever remember, now let's move it out of daylight hours. Tremendously brilliant idea there, skippy.

Hey, p!$$ off. I asked a valid question, and if there was a reason why it couldn't be played at night. And they play December/January football in Green Bay, by the way. No way in hell could they play a November night game in Iowa because it's too cold? Wear a freakin' hat & coat.

But thanks for being an a$$hole about it.

Having a portion of people who have to work on Friday who would normally go to the game is not nearly a good enough reason to move it to Saturday. If you can't make it, sell your tickets. Having a game all by itself on national television against a team like Nebraska is something that can become a traditional game that's talked about across the country around Thanksgiving. Obviously, Iowa has to win at some point and eventually will if they keep it. The fact that they're actually considering getting rid of it just ****** me off. Kirk's insistence on everything about Iowa football being as boring as possible doesn't always make sense to me.

Having a portion of people who have to work on Friday who would normally go to the game is not nearly a good enough reason to move it to Saturday. If you can't make it, sell your tickets. Having a game all by itself on national television against a team like Nebraska is something that can become a traditional game that's talked about across the country around Thanksgiving. Obviously, Iowa has to win at some point and eventually will if they keep it. The fact that they're actually considering getting rid of it just ****** me off. Kirk's insistence on everything about Iowa football being as boring as possible doesn't always make sense to me.

Yeah, remember when everybody was hopping in anticipation of Nebraska vs. Colorado every year?

I'm thinking there's probably a reason that practically nobody plays on Black Friday.

Hey, p!$$ off. I asked a valid question, and if there was a reason why it couldn't be played at night. And they play December/January football in Green Bay, by the way. No way in hell could they play a November night game in Iowa because it's too cold? Wear a freakin' hat & coat.

But thanks for being an a$$hole about it.

Negative Nancy is always negative. Don't let him bother you.
To some of your points: as far as I understood it, the B1G doesn't prohibit night games in November, but it's not something they like much. The night games are decided in the spring when the schedules start to come out. At that time both schools agree to them. Many schools don't do it because of logistics (imagine leaving a game in November with a bunch of snow - then imagine doing it at midnight). I believe city/school officials frown upon it as well. And that's why you don't have em.
I don't much care for it, but it is what it is.

Yeah, remember when everybody was hopping in anticipation of Nebraska vs. Colorado every year?

I'm thinking there's probably a reason that practically nobody plays on Black Friday.

I don't think he was saying LA and NY media would be hyping it up. Fact is, though, I always watched Nebraska and Colorado play (and Texas and A&M), even though I had no interest in the Big XII. If a national game is on, people will watch, and if something memorable happens (i.e., big upset), they will remember it. Hell, I still remember the name Ja'mar Toombs (A&M fullback in 1999 when the Aggies upset Texas), and I don't give two rips about Texas or A&M. THAT's how potent this time slot is.

I don't think he was saying LA and NY media would be hyping it up. Fact is, though, I always watched Nebraska and Colorado play (and Texas and A&M), even though I had no interest in the Big XII. If a national game is on, people will watch, and if something memorable happens (i.e., big upset), they will remember it. Hell, I still remember the name Ja'mar Toombs (A&M fullback in 1999 when the Aggies upset Texas), and I don't give two rips about Texas or A&M. THAT's how potent this time slot is.

There's a big difference between watching the game because there's nothing else on, and having it be part of a national (or at least cross-regional) conversation. Which is what he seemed to think it could be. And it could be, but there has to be a LOT more competition in the game for that to happen, and Iowa is a ways off from that happening.

Thats' because it was Nebraska vs. Colorado. Not even Nebraska fans cared about that game. Now if you think Iowa is no better than Colorado, fine, but I don't see that. Iowa has a chance to make this a competitive game. We've had two games so far with Vberg leading the way. I see top tier schools stepping out of their comfort zone all the time in all sports to gain exposure. Someone needs to tell Kirk, if you're scared buy a dog.

I also always watched the Colorado-Nebraska game. I couldnt have cared less about either, but it was on. I looked at the Rivals main board and there was an actual game thread for 4-7 Iowa-Nebraska with people responding in the thread from all over the country. Id doubt Iowa-Minnesota on the BTN on Saturday at 11am would garner the same attention. Bottom line is people were watching all over the nation. You need that exposure.

I personally don't feel that the gap is that big. We will see next year how we look, but we didn't get Michiganed by them. Better QB play probably would have won that game.

I personally don't feel that the gap is that big. We will see next year how we look, but we didn't get Michiganed by them. Better QB play probably would have won that game.

Agreed. There was no mismatch at the LOS. If Iowa had just a below average offense, they win that game. Unfortunately Iowa has zero offense, so they lost.

TM3308, I live in Colorado and it is true the Nebby vs. Buffs game carried no meaning out here; but Colorado cares about pro sports and CU/CSU are after thoughts. But I watched this game each year BECAUSE it was the 11am time slot the day after Thanksgiving. I go back to the 70's when Nebby/OU was on. i hated both teams but I watched the game because it was football and it was on t.v. I think think this time slot still holds that feel to it; plus it is still the Only game on at the time. Now, if other games for BCS conferences change to the same kickoff time; then it becomes moot. Just my thoughts.

TM3308, I live in Colorado and it is true the Nebby vs. Buffs game carried no meaning out here; but Colorado cares about pro sports and CU/CSU are after thoughts. But I watched this game each year BECAUSE it was the 11am time slot the day after Thanksgiving. I go back to the 70's when Nebby/OU was on. i hated both teams but I watched the game because it was football and it was on t.v. I think think this time slot still holds that feel to it; plus it is still the Only game on at the time. Now, if other games for BCS conferences change to the same kickoff time; then it becomes moot. Just my thoughts.

Like I said earlier, watching it because it's on isn't the same as it actually having relevance. I watch a lot of rivalries because I enjoy the games and they're a big deal (The Game, most ND rivalry games, Iron Bowl, etc.). But that doesn't mean they're all actually relevant in most years (Looking at Clemson-South Carolina). They're not all part of a national discussion.

Nebraska-OU had that, because they were two of the nation's very best programs. Nebraska-Colorado was thought to have something similar when it started, but the Buffs fell off a cliff. Nebraska-Iowa doesn't have that, and never will. It's very much like the Clemson-SC rivalry, where it's truly relevant maybe once every 6-7 years anymore.

Most people don't care who watch don't care who wins the Iron Bowl or The Game. They watch because it's on. But they choose those games over all the other games on TV at the same time because the games are usually relevant on a national level. People don't choose to watch Iowa-Nebraska over all the other games on. They watch because it's literally the ONLY game on.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm the kind of guy who is glued to the TV for those big rivalries even when I don't have a dog in the fight. But if I weren't an Iowa or Nebraska fan, I would casually watch this game in most years.

Like I said earlier, watching it because it's on isn't the same as it actually having relevance. I watch a lot of rivalries because I enjoy the games and they're a big deal (The Game, most ND rivalry games, Iron Bowl, etc.). But that doesn't mean they're all actually relevant in most years (Looking at Clemson-South Carolina). They're not all part of a national discussion.

Nebraska-OU had that, because they were two of the nation's very best programs. Nebraska-Colorado was thought to have something similar when it started, but the Buffs fell off a cliff. Nebraska-Iowa doesn't have that, and never will. It's very much like the Clemson-SC rivalry, where it's truly relevant maybe once every 6-7 years anymore.

Most people don't care who watch don't care who wins the Iron Bowl or The Game. They watch because it's on. But they choose those games over all the other games on TV at the same time because the games are usually relevant on a national level. People don't choose to watch Iowa-Nebraska over all the other games on. They watch because it's literally the ONLY game on.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm the kind of guy who is glued to the TV for those big rivalries even when I don't have a dog in the fight. But if I weren't an Iowa or Nebraska fan, I would casually watch this game in most years.

I think this is why many of us want the game to stay on Black Friday. Because it doesn't have intrinsic national relevance.

Every year I'll watch bowl games that have teams I have little to no interest in because it's on. I don't how many time I said to myself "wow, I didn't realize this team played this style or was this good" and then going into the following year, I'd casually pay attention to that team because they caught my attention. There's even professional sports writers who can honestly say they've haven't watched an Iowa game in years because it's their job to follow certain teams or a certain conference. Having a game all to yourself across the country brings eyes to those teams that wouldn't normally watch it. They may not become die hard fans after that game, but if Iowa plays well and more people see that it can have an effect that a saturday game on the BTN would not.

I had no idea how good Colin Kaepernick was until I sat down one night to watch some game that was on and I had nothing to do. Nevada was playing Boise State in what ended up being one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. I'm not the only one thinking this. Go try and get a pulse from what people are saying nationally about this decision.

I think this is why many of us want the game to stay on Black Friday. Because it doesn't have intrinsic national relevance.

Well so far, it's not helped us to have that exposure. Last year, we got completely housed on national television. This year, while the score was close, we looked utterly incompetent in almost every phase of the game. Until the program is on solid ground (with or without Ferentz), I'd rather see this game mixed in with everything else.

I would love some exposure in my writing career, but I wouldn't take the first note or whatever I wrote in Kindergarten (in crayon) to showcase myself. That's basically what Iowa has done so far in this "rivalry".

Every year I'll watch bowl games that have teams I have little to no interest in because it's on. I don't how many time I said to myself "wow, I didn't realize this team played this style or was this good" and then going into the following year, I'd casually pay attention to that team because they caught my attention. There's even professional sports writers who can honestly say they've haven't watched an Iowa game in years because it's their job to follow certain teams or a certain conference. Having a game all to yourself across the country brings eyes to those teams that wouldn't normally watch it. They may not become die hard fans after that game, but if Iowa plays well and more people see that it can have an effect that a saturday game on the BTN would not.

I had no idea how good Colin Kaepernick was until I sat down one night to watch some game that was on and I had nothing to do. Nevada was playing Boise State in what ended up being one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. I'm not the only one thinking this. Go try and get a pulse from what people are saying nationally about this decision.

And that's all great for Iowa. IF they were actually showcasing themselves well when they have that stage. They've failed miserably so far, and next year's game doesn't look any more promising.

Well so far, it's not helped us to have that exposure. Last year, we got completely housed on national television. This year, while the score was close, we looked utterly incompetent in almost every phase of the game. Until the program is on solid ground (with or without Ferentz), I'd rather see this game mixed in with everything else.

I would love some exposure in my writing career, but I wouldn't take the first note or whatever I wrote in Kindergarten (in crayon) to showcase myself. That's basically what Iowa has done so far in this "rivalry".

Haha. No, I agree. People have short memories, though. If the Hawks start acquitting themselves better in this game, it will be good, whenever it happens. If the Hawks keep sucking on the national stage, we'll have bigger problems. But if we move the game now because we're worried about bad exposure, the teams signing the dotted line to fill the slot now won't just get out of our way so we can showcase ourselves.

And that's all great for Iowa. IF they were actually showcasing themselves well when they have that stage. They've failed miserably so far, and next year's game doesn't look any more promising.

You're thinking short term. I don't feel Iowa will be a bottom feeder forever. The timing of this game came at a bad time for Iowa. They'll bounce back. It looks even worse to lose a couple then go into hiding because it was too hard. Plus, we have no idea how good next year's team will be. The defensive line will be inexperienced but way more athletic. The backfield loses Hyde but there seems to be talent behind him. All the linebackers are returning. Tanner Miller will more than likely be passed over by a more athletic faster player (Ruben Lile) barring injury. The young receivers and qb are the biggest questions in my mind. Who knows, we may be pleasantly surprised. Optimist, I know.

TM; the onus is certainly on KF and staff to MAKE this a rivalry. This is an opportunity to make Iowa relevent to a national audience on a realistic basis. This game speaks to potential recruits. To give it up after just two games would be a mistake. I certainly see what you are saying and factually, you are correct; Iowa has p*ssed down their leg twice. But if we give this game up to another BIG team, we won't get it back. We need to go for it.:D

Latest posts