Barta on Brust/Larson release hubub

Could it be that 6 Big 10 Schools, including Iowa, didn't think the rule applied since they hadn't enrolled and the scholarship "clock" hadn't started.

It's common knowledge once the athlete is in school but...

I think this is probably the case and that is why these other schools were setting up visits and so forth. Since they had not started classes and had only signed the LOI, was it really considered a "transfer." Obviously this is something that the majority of the Big Ten basketball coaches didn't know.

Also, I believe Jon said that Barta is going to release them to whatever school and leave it up to the Big Ten itself to determine if the waiver will be allowed. Iowa's hands are clean on this one and if they get an unfavorable ruling from the conference, then it's on them, not us.

Personally, I think in this situation with a LOI signed and a coaching change happens, then the recruit should be able to go to any school as long as the school releases them fully. Afterall, the are still a recruit, not yet a student-athlete. Once you become a student-athlete, I have no problem with the rule as it is.

I hope the rule stands up. I don't want either of them playing on another big10 team. If they win their appeal it will bring utter chaos/tampering of any team's recruits within the big10.

If it is a rule, it should be enforced. Making an exception now makes no sense...I feel for the two of them, but their parents need to use this as a teachable moment and move on..."Son, we made a mistake, now we need to look forward and not backward"

This is 100% on the players. Do your due diligence before making a huge decision in your life. It's a life lesson learned for them. If they don't want to be at Iowa, then fine, but they have nobody to blame but themselves for this situation they are in now.

This is completely Iowa and Barta's fault. They should be ashamed for what they have done to these kids.

Okay...I don't believe that at all. But I'm not use to a 5 page thread on this site with pretty much everyone in constant agreement. :)

I thought Iowa and Barta acted very honorably during this situation. To be honest, I wanted to see stipulations that they couldn't sign with other Big Ten schools if we released them. It would have been within Barta's rights to do it. The fact that he didn't shows how honorable he is. Much more than me....that's for sure.

Choice 3 is not pay one year. You can NEVER receive a scholarship after you transfer within the Big Ten. So they would have to pay for all four years.

I thought it was a 1 year deal. I didnt realize it was a lifetime ban as you put it. Can someone please verify that.

Hell, a coach like Bruce Pearl wouldn't even let Tyler Smith out of his LOI the first time around.

Think about that...

How is this Barta's fault? Its a BigTen rule, so their options were limited by the conference, how does Barta explaining it to them make a difference? Would they have stayed with their LOIs if this was told to them? Can they not resign with IOWA if they truly want to play in the BigTen and still possess the scholarship? Plus, if this was so clear cut of a rule, why were there other BigTen schools lining up to get these two? It appears that it may not be a well known rule in regards to being released from a LOI, in that it qualifies as a transfer in the BigTen's eyes.

Plus, arent the players and families/guardians responsible to find out stuff like this on their own? Why is it always someone else's fault when things dont go all your way?

My thoughts exactly...This falls under Not Our Problem.

I have a news flash for the parents of Burst and Larson. NEITHER kid is going to the nba. The parents should be looking at schools for academic reasons. What are they going to do if their boss gets fired some day quit and whine and go somewhere else. I think both kids could be good college players, but neither one of them is going to make or break our program. They don't want to be a hawk forget em.

I have a news flash for the parents of Burst and Larson. NEITHER kid is going to the nba. The parents should be looking at schools for academic reasons. What are they going to do if their boss gets fired some day quit and whine and go somewhere else. I think both kids could be good college players, but neither one of them is going to make or break our program. They don't want to be a hawk forget em.

It's a little early to put that tag on them...

The only thing I don't like about this situation is the fact that Barta seemed to justify the parents' reponse to the situation by saying there may have been some misscommunication or a lack of communication.

What I would have said is that it is a long standing rule in The Big Ten, one that has affected Iowa players and players from other schools. Iowa did not pull these scholarships and we continued to say we would honor the scholarships if the players decided to honor their commitment.

However, I am not going to counsel the student on the best way to go play for a rival in-conference school. Also, as soon as they were contacted by their first Big Ten school and were told they couldn't be on scholarship, which I am sure each school did up-front or the parents would be complaining about the lack kf communication from these schools as well, then they could have called us back and quietly said they had reconsidered and would like to play at Iowa. I am sorry, but if they wanted to call and ask about any possible concerns about asking out of their LOI, then I would have discussed this with them. However, they just asked out. That pretty much ends the conversation.

Now, it is unfortunate that it appears as if these families did not do due dilligence in making the decision to ask out of their LOI's. They should have called the conference and asked about any rules that might have applied in their situation. We make sure our student athletes are well informed with respect to NCAA and Nig Ten rules. When these players asked out of their LOI's they no longer were our student athletes.

In other words, this is not our fault and I am insulted if these families are attempting to put the blame for their lack of due dilligence on this fine university and its athletic department.

Looks like again the families are the problems. Maybe they got too involved. The fact That these two made very quick choices to opt out, makes me believe that these other Big ten schools were already recruiting behind the scences before they were even released. Everyone saw how quick the list of schools recruiting them went out as soon as they were released. They thought the grass was greener. Turns out it was not. So for their stupidity, not doing their homework, Iowa losses out. Big ten should investage these schools who basically recruited a signed player behind iowa's back. And yes i am accussing them without the actual facts. because All the circumstancal evidence is there.

Now, it is unfortunate that it appears as if these families did not do due dilligence in making the decision to ask out of their LOI's. They should have called the conference and asked about any rules that might have applied in their situation. We make sure our student athletes are well informed with respect to NCAA and Nig Ten rules. When these players asked out of their LOI's they no longer were our student athletes.

In other words, this is not our fault and I am insulted if these families are attempting to put the blame for their lack of due dilligence on this fine university and its athletic department.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% . They asked the game be changed in their favor, it was up to them to investigate. I knew the rule, they could-should have, and I don't have a D-1 player living under my roof.
I know Barta, you are allowed your own opinion of him in many ways, please don't doubt his integrity and honest, these are stong personal strengths!
ToothGuy

I am a little confused on this issue. If Barta had told them about not being able to be on scholarship at other Big Ten schools would they have stayed at Iowa? I also don't why they are made at Iowa.

I personally think it's funny. These 2 decided that they didn't want to honor their commitments they made to the Hawkeyes, because other teams were "secretly" sending vibes they could come to them if they left. So they ask and Barta graciously grants them their release. Then they find out they are not allowed to go to another B10 team and like your typical prima donna athlete, they cry foul and blame someone else for something that is THEIR PROBLEM. Iowa did not cause this Mr Larson and Mr Brust. I recommend you both grow up, take responsibility for your actions and move on. I don't want either one of these kids as Hawks, even if they asked to be reinstated.

After reading the details of why Larson was suspended in high school, I want nothing to do with this kid. It shows he has questionable decision making skills, which he is once again proving by how this situation is being handled. Iowa is better off moving on from these 2 kids and getting a couple of Frans own recruits in here. I don't care if his recruits rate as high on the nat'l rankings, if these kids can play in Fran's system, that's all we ask.

I think this rule need to be governed by the NCAA so EVERYONE KNOWS! It should basically read as follows:
You want out of your LOI? Sign elsewhere and sit out a year. PERIOD.
The school fired the coach that recruited you? Transfer/sign elsewhere and sit out a year. PERIOD.
You want an Inter-Conference transfer? Sit out a year. PERIOD.

Sitting out a year was originally designed (I assume) to keep players from "jumping ship". It should apply in EVERY instance. No more grey area, no more BS...if you sign, you stay. Make sure the University is a great fit for you before you sign.

These kids/parents sign a legal contract and nobody holds them to it. I'd tell my kid to think long and hard before entering into a contract to play for a coach who is under-fire anyway. You know that there will be consequences in breach.

Try going to your cell phone carrier and "asking" out of your contract...

Last edited:
It's a little early to put that tag on them...[/QUO

Cmon I'm sure they could be the nicest kids in the world, but NEITHER is even going to sniff the nba.

Brust, probably not, unless he turns into the next Jeff Hornacek...Larson on the other hand, 6'9" and athletic, anything can happen in 4 years...you act like there's no such thing as "improvement"...or do you work in the NBA office and have black balled them both already?

Maybe Ohio State, Indiana, Wisky, etc. were partially/mostly interested in Larson & Brust because they saw an opportunity to get a player without having to use one of their 13 schollies? Those would be pretty good walk ons.

Are the parents mad that these schools too for not being clear in their conversations that they wanted their sons to play for them but they would not get a scholarship. It would seem to me that the responsibility to explain the transfer rule should fall on the school now recruiting them not the school that released them.

Latest posts