Barta: Chair Incident Crossed Line

Brands behaves the exact same way. If his team were performing like the basketball team was on that night, odds are pretty good that a chair would have gone flying somewhere. Nobody says boo about it because we contend for national championships every year.

It obviously did nothing to help in the MSU game, but they bounced back quite nicely. If slamming a chair got them to wake up and perform the way they did on Saturday, then I'm okay with it. He didn't chuck it across the court, he didn't hit a player, or anything like that. I highly doubt chair slamming was going to become a staple of his coaching philosophy to begin with.

My kids get in trouble if they get so angry that they are no longer able to control their temper and hit someone or throw things. I tell them they have to learn how to control it so they don't do something they regret. They could hurt someone even though that wasn't their intention. People go to jail all the time for "losing it" and then injuring someone, because they haven't learned to control their emotions.

This time the folding chair bounced slightly but didn't hurt someone. What if it had took a wicked bounce and hit a player, another coach, a fan? Then what kind of conversation would we be having? Would we be calling the victim of his anger a pu$$y or would we be calling for Frans head?

I understand Frans frustrations and anger. I don't understand how so many people can rationalize the chair throwing as okay, because "he was just trying to get their attention". The anti chair-chuckers aren't anti Fran...we just want him to control that kind of behavior so we don't lose him. I believe I remember a coach that lost his job for losing his cool

I support Fran and think he's a great coach for Iowa, but I don't want him to do something in the heat of the moment that results in us losing him because he did something stupid on the basketball court that resulted in an unintentional injury of someone.

I still think he did the chair a favor. He made is so it didn't have to sit through that basketball game any longer.

My kids get in trouble if they get so angry that they are no longer able to control their temper and hit someone or throw things. I tell them they have to learn how to control it so they don't do something they regret. They could hurt someone even though that wasn't their intention. People go to jail all the time for "losing it" and then injuring someone, because they haven't learned to control their emotions.

This time the folding chair bounced slightly but didn't hurt someone. What if it had took a wicked bounce and hit a player, another coach, a fan? Then what kind of conversation would we be having? Would we be calling the victim of his anger a pu$$y or would we be calling for Frans head?

I understand Frans frustrations and anger. I don't understand how so many people can rationalize the chair throwing as okay, because "he was just trying to get their attention". The anti chair-chuckers aren't anti Fran...we just want him to control that kind of behavior so we don't lose him. I believe I remember a coach that lost his job for losing his cool

I support Fran and think he's a great coach for Iowa, but I don't want him to do something in the heat of the moment that results in us losing him because he did something stupid on the basketball court that resulted in an unintentional injury of someone.

Gloria Allred called. Three more posts resembling this one and you'll get your nuts back.

I don't really know what the general demeanor is for wrestling, but what Fran did is certainly not looked upon favorably in most basketball fans eyes. I just don't think you can compare wrestling and basketball because the coaches and fans live on completely different planets.

Ridiculous............... I happen to be a fan of both sports and last I checked I only live on one planet.......

Brands behaves the exact same way. If his team were performing like the basketball team was on that night, odds are pretty good that a chair would have gone flying somewhere. Nobody says boo about it because we contend for national championships every year.It obviously did nothing to help in the MSU game, but they bounced back quite nicely. If slamming a chair got them to wake up and perform the way they did on Saturday, then I'm okay with it. He didn't chuck it across the court, he didn't hit a player, or anything like that. I highly doubt chair slamming was going to become a staple of his coaching philosophy to begin with.
My kids get in trouble if they get so angry that they are no longer able to control their temper and hit someone or throw things. I tell them they have to learn how to control it so they don't do something they regret. They could hurt someone even though that wasn't their intention. People go to jail all the time for "losing it" and then injuring someone, because they haven't learned to control their emotions. This time the folding chair bounced slightly but didn't hurt someone. What if it had took a wicked bounce and hit a player, another coach, a fan? Then what kind of conversation would we be having? Would we be calling the victim of his anger a pu$$y or would we be calling for Frans head?I understand Frans frustrations and anger. I don't understand how so many people can rationalize the chair throwing as okay, because "he was just trying to get their attention". The anti chair-chuckers aren't anti Fran...we just want him to control that kind of behavior so we don't lose him. I believe I remember a coach that lost his job for losing his coolI support Fran and think he's a great coach for Iowa, but I don't want him to do something in the heat of the moment that results in us losing him because he did something stupid on the basketball court that resulted in an unintentional injury of someone.

this is the beat argument I have seen so far for not throwing it. one think i will say tho is if the chair would have took a wicked bounce the worst think that would have happened is a player would get a bump on the shin, there was no real danger of injury.

when bobby knight threw a chair it was a big deal because of the meaning of the throw more so then the actual throw. he was throwing it as a big F U to the refs and everyone knows that showing up refs is off limits.

when fran threw it he was doing it to show his own team up. I don't see why delaney would step in and say he crossed the line on how to motivate his own team. I think he thought, bobby threw a chair and it was bad so this must be bad too. he never stopped to realize there is a huge difference in the two because of the meaning of their actions.

I had the most calm basketball coach ever but sometimes he would get mad and kick the bleachers. there is really no difference between that and what fran did. if you want to get technical verbally abusing your players should be a bigger deal then slamming a chair

If Barta (et al) focused half as much prompt attention and energy to marketing the program as he (they) just did to publicly throwing Fran under the bus, the program wouldn't be desperately trying to climb out of the debts of the unknown and irrelevant.

All of the energy he spent throwing Farn under the bus? You mean, that one sentence he wrote in a press release?

Will Barta's hatred for Fran know no bounds?!?

All of the energy he spent throwing Farn under the bus? You mean, that one sentence he wrote in a press release?

Will Barta's hatred for Fran know no bounds?!?

Certainly you are not so stupid as to think this was just "one sentence he wrote in a press release" that have fans in an uproar. Jon put it in pretty good context; whether or not Barta realized it, this was a pretty public slap at his basketball coach. He should have handled it quietly and a bit more diplomatically.

Certainly you are not so stupid as to think this was just "one sentence he wrote in a press release" that have fans in an uproar. Jon put it in pretty good context; whether or not Barta realized it, this was a pretty public slap at his basketball coach. He should have handled it quietly and a bit more diplomatically.

I think you misread the context of my previous comments.

That said, I don't see what Barta did as some kind of awful offense, just like I don't think what McCaffery did was the actions of a lunatic.

Neither of them should have done what they did. Why does everyone have to pick sides here?

I think you misread the context of my previous comments.

That said, I don't see what Barta did as some kind of awful offense, just like I don't think what McCaffery did was the actions of a lunatic.

Neither of them should have done what they did. Why does everyone have to pick sides here?

I blame Obama. But I'm sure others here would blame Bush. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Jokes aside, your comment gave me some interesting insight. People treat politics like a zero-sum game; They pick sides and then decide that any win for their "side" is a bitter defeat for the other, even on ridiculously unimportant issues.

I noticed how this mentality keeps seeping into sports. Even in this relatively unimportant issue, we now have the fans up in arms, doubtlessly blowing this out of proportion, calling Barta the biggest idiot on the planet who barely does anything of value.

Jokes aside, your comment gave me some interesting insight. People treat politics like a zero-sum game; They pick sides and then decide that any win for their "side" is a bitter defeat for the other, even on ridiculously unimportant issues.

I noticed how this mentality keeps seeping into sports. Even in this relatively unimportant issue, we now have the fans up in arms, doubtlessly blowing this out of proportion, calling Barta the biggest idiot on the planet who barely does anything of value.

I do think the interwebz also has played a major role in dividing the collective us along all sorts of inherent, intrinsic barriers, some natural, others artificial.

Latest posts