Barta: Chair Incident Crossed Line

Gary Barta nees to pipe down. He is a big, big reason why the basketball program is in the shape it is with his genius hire of one Todd Lickliter. He did hire Fran, which is good, but let man do his job for crying out loud and that is to change an attitude and culture. That he is doing.

How long after The Turnaround is complete does Fran leave Iowa for greener pastures?I'm sure almost any one of the ACC and/or Big East schools would hire him in a second, especially after he revives the Iowa Basketball corpse.

that's what I'm afraid of. what's with the public statement?

How long after The Turnaround is complete does Fran leave Iowa for greener pastures?
I'm sure almost any one of the ACC and/or Big East schools would hire him in a second, especially after he revives the Iowa Basketball corpse.
This is what I worry about. The dude is legit...which means, Iowa will find a way to drive him away.

He's going to be too old to take an elite job and you rarely see coaches go from one average BCS conference job to another, and usually its just to get out of town before he loses his job. He'll be here for a while.

the hatred towards barta by our fanbase is a joke. the dude made one bad hire and made up for it as soon as he could. i guaranfrickingtee that regardless of what barta said to the public that he is thrilled with fran and his motivational techniques. its embarrassing how many of our fans think they are being edgy by blaming the AD for problems when we seriously struggled to find a suitable replacement for Bowlsby. Barta has only:

got rid of Alford with no buyout
extended brands
raised $20mm+ for carver in the worst economy ever
hired hankins
had the foresight to pull the plug early on his first major hire
found a cost effective replacement that reaped the recruiting benefits of that timing
raised enough money to get the bubble project started
has iowa in the top 15 nationally for athletic department revenue.

im sure i am missing a few other things as well.

How long after The Turnaround is complete does Fran leave Iowa for greener pastures?
I'm sure almost any one of the ACC and/or Big East schools would hire him in a second, especially after he revives the Iowa Basketball corpse.
This is what I worry about. The dude is legit...which means, Iowa will find a way to sour him on the future.

You need to get in tune with why he likes being at Iowa and in the midwest. His wife wanted to be back closer to her family in Minnesota. Fran will be a Tom Davis type hire imo. He will be here for awhile.

You need to get in tune with why he likes being at Iowa and in the midwest. His wife wanted to be back closer to her family in Minnesota. Fran will be a Tom Davis type hire imo. He will be here for awhile.

Just like Alford.

Why did Barta even go there publicly? Just stfu Gary. Like shon Morris said Saturday, this is major athletics. If you have a problem with What mccaffery did at msu, go watch Dr Phil

Just like Alford.

Yep and Alford would still be in Iowa City if it weren't for numerous circumstances that began with Pierre Pierce. You can't even compare the two. Alford knew he was going to be fired if he didn't make the tournament and Alford himself knew that there was no way his returning team was going to make the tournament. So to save face he bolted before he could be fired. Had the Pierce incident not happened and had he not lost control of the Recker and Evans team, he imo would still be in Iowa City. I swear, we have some of the most fickle fans. I call it the Hawkeye fan complex.

The issue here to me with Barta is, why did he need to go public?

Yeah as 9YR has pointed out, he has done some nice things, but why not just handle it internally? That is all he needed to say, this is not the first time he has spoken negatively about the Iowa basketball program, remember what he said with the Ashton Kutcher incident..."irresponsible" was the word I think that was used.

Publicly, he didn't need to add to it, keep it inside the University. Talk to Fran privately, tell the BIG to stick it because there are far worse things that have happened on the sidelines with coaches and players, but no chairs involved. Do you think the BIG stepped in when Weber and Williams were bumping each other when Williams got benched?

The "incident" itself is not even an "incident" really, it had no bearing on anything for the game. With Barta speaking out the way he has it just adds more to a perception of Fran rather than the fact that he is the PERFECT coach for Iowa.

The other thing that is frustrating and maybe it is more because I don't follow Iowa football, but is he critical of the Iowa football program?

It is amazing on how many guys fail in that program and I don't see Kirk being raked over the coals.

Hey Barta: Kirk recruits those kids with that "high" character and some are his own children.

The issue here to me with Barta is, why did he need to go public?

Yeah as 9YR has pointed out, he has done some nice things, but why not just handle it internally? That is all he needed to say, this is not the first time he has spoken negatively about the Iowa basketball program, remember what he said with the Ashton Kutcher incident..."irresponsible" was the word I think that was used.

Publicly, he didn't need to add to it, keep it inside the University. Talk to Fran privately, tell the BIG to stick it because there are far worse things that have happened on the sidelines with coaches and players, but no chairs involved. Do you think the BIG stepped in when Weber and Williams were bumping each other when Williams got benched?

The "incident" itself is not even an "incident" really, it had no bearing on anything for the game. With Barta speaking out the way he has it just adds more to a perception of Fran rather than the fact that he is the PERFECT coach for Iowa.
I imagine he went public for the same reason Delaney did; there was a lot of negative publicity about it,ESPN, youtube,etc...

I imagine he went public for the same reason Delaney did; there was a lot of negative publicity about it,ESPN, youtube,etc...

However much negativity there was about it, just say "we are reviewing the situation with Coach McCaffery" and be done with it.

There was far from "a lot" of negative publicity. A brief mention on PTI or Around the Horn and a few posts in the blogosphere is not a big deal. In a week no one outside the state will remember it.

However much negativity there was about it, just say "we are reviewing the situation with Coach McCaffery" and be done with it.
I don't know, a writer could come back and ask what was done. This way it looks like it was dealt with.

I think we fans have to look at this from other peoples perpectives. It looks like a temper tantrum by a coach who's team was getting smoked. This occurs after getting ejected at UNI and you have the appearance of a "problem". Barta apparently felt the need to say something.

So far nobody has quit this team because of Fran's temper and since Fran's latest outburst, we probably played our best game of the year. While it could easily be coincidental it's also possible that the players realize that if they don't put force their best effort, and effort is very important on the defensive end, you will get your *** chewed and played better last Saturday.

Plus, when he gets on the refs, it is nice to know the coach has your back.

delany specifically mentioned fran's boss so barta pretty much had to say something. im guessing delany did it because outside of the iowa message boards the response was almost universally negative.

I don't know, a writer could come back and ask what was done. This way it looks like it was dealt with.

I think we fans have to look at this from other peoples perpectives. It looks like a temper tantrum by a coach who's team was getting smoked. This occurs after getting ejected at UNI and you have the appearance of a "problem". Barta apparently felt the need to say something.

Really, then has he addressed how Kirk has players get in trouble and transfer year in and year out?

These are isolated incidents, Fran is not going after the officials or throwing things every game...

And honestly, if Fran feels his team needed something like the chair, then do it. If he feels like the refs are shafting his team like at UNI, then get 15 technicals. He has had to come in and fight for any respectablity, look at where Iowa was at when he got here, look where Iowa is going. If he steps on a few toes along the way, so be it.
Two years from now, maybe even a year, many people will wonder why there was anything ever said about this.

The AD should back his coaches in the media, unless he is going to get rid of them.

Fact is, even when the team sucks, it's still entertaining to watch Fran lose his ****. It's fun to watch any coach lose his **** actually.

Barta's in the right. You can rationalize it all you want (Oh, he's just PASSIONATE), but getting mad and yelling and throwing things is child-like behavior. I don't tolerate it from my two year old nephew (although he is very passionate about his Weebles), and you shouldn't tolerate it from 50 year old mentors.

Bullsh!t...Gary Barta knew what he was getting when he hired Fran...his temper's reputation preceded him and since Barta knew about it and hired him anyway, he has no right to shake his finger at him now.

Latest posts