Barta: Chair Incident Crossed Line

the hatred towards barta by our fanbase is a joke. the dude made one bad hire and made up for it as soon as he could. i guaranfrickingtee that regardless of what barta said to the public that he is thrilled with fran and his motivational techniques. its embarrassing how many of our fans think they are being edgy by blaming the AD for problems when we seriously struggled to find a suitable replacement for Bowlsby. Barta has only:

got rid of Alford with no buyout
extended brands
raised $20mm+ for carver in the worst economy ever
hired hankins
had the foresight to pull the plug early on his first major hire
found a cost effective replacement that reaped the recruiting benefits of that timing
raised enough money to get the bubble project started
has iowa in the top 15 nationally for athletic department revenue.

im sure i am missing a few other things as well.

Well said...I've never understood the Barta hate either.

Barta's in the right. You can rationalize it all you want (Oh, he's just PASSIONATE), but getting mad and yelling and throwing things is child-like behavior. I don't tolerate it from my two year old nephew (although he is very passionate about his Weebles), and you shouldn't tolerate it from 50 year old mentors.

I agree with this. If anyone thinks it's okay to throw things when you're mad then you must be a two year old. I'm totally okay with Fran's yelling and screaming if he thinks that will motivate the players but throwing a metal folding chair just makes you look like you have no self control and doing that while we were losing big, makes you look like a sore loser. Half this board ******* and complains about Iowa's lack of PR...well it looks like he was trying to address this one and you're still complaining. Having a video circulating of your coach throwing a chair is not good PR. Chances are the conversation between Barta and Fran more than likely addressed that.

the hatred towards barta by our fanbase is a joke. the dude made one bad hire and made up for it as soon as he could. i guaranfrickingtee that regardless of what barta said to the public that he is thrilled with fran and his motivational techniques. its embarrassing how many of our fans think they are being edgy by blaming the AD for problems when we seriously struggled to find a suitable replacement for Bowlsby. Barta has only:

got rid of Alford with no buyout
extended brands
raised $20mm+ for carver in the worst economy ever
hired hankins
had the foresight to pull the plug early on his first major hire
found a cost effective replacement that reaped the recruiting benefits of that timing
raised enough money to get the bubble project started
has iowa in the top 15 nationally for athletic department revenue.

im sure i am missing a few other things as well.

You are missing a few other things.

1) Iowa football just had one of if not the best decade of success helping raise a lot of this money.

2) The Big Ten Network was born also allowing Iowa to get an additional $30 million plus over the last 4 years to help with these things.

But other than these 2 minor things happening in the last 10 years you are right. I'm sure if these didn't happen Barta would have still gotten all this done. :rolleyes:

Really, then has he addressed how Kirk has players get in trouble and transfer year in and year out?

These are isolated incidents, Fran is not going after the officials or throwing things every game...

And honestly, if Fran feels his team needed something like the chair, then do it. If he feels like the refs are shafting his team like at UNI, then get 15 technicals. He has had to come in and fight for any respectablity, look at where Iowa was at when he got here, look where Iowa is going. If he steps on a few toes along the way, so be it.
Two years from now, maybe even a year, many people will wonder why there was anything ever said about this.

The AD should back his coaches in the media, unless he is going to get rid of them.
It' pretty simple. If Fran doesn't like getting called out publicly, then don't act like a 2 year old in public.

This should be a complete non-story

I dont get it...when I watched it live I thought it was funny but never for a second thought it would be national news

I think the U is sending mixed signals here. First they say - in reference to the basketball program - "let's get mad again" then when the head basketball coach does just that they tell him to knock it off.

fran can take a dump on the opposing team's logo for all I care as long as we keep beating top-15 teams.

It' pretty simple. If Fran doesn't like getting called out publicly, then don't act like a 2 year old in public.

So the actions of Kirk's players have no reflection on him? What has been going on in that program is far worse than Fran slamming a chair.

Comparing him to a 2 year old, really?

Fran is not going to settle for certain things and I just don't see the big deal here.

Never realized the Iowa fanbase had this many *******. What are you gonna do when your kid's high school coach yells at him/her? Probably call the coach and tell him he's being to hard on my kid. *******

It is completely age-appropriate for a two-year-old to have tantrums (you'd be frustrated if you had a vocabulary of about 50 words, too). Similarly, it is completely understandable for a Division 1 coach to light into his team of grown men when they're in the midst of an embarrassing effort, and even if you reject that premise, Barta looks completely amateurish by making that kind of statement against his own coach in the press.

It is completely age-appropriate for a two-year-old to have tantrums (you'd be frustrated if you had a vocabulary of about 50 words, too). Similarly, it is completely understandable for a Division 1 coach to light into his team of grown men when they're in the midst of an embarrassing effort, and even if you reject that premise, Barta looks completely amateurish by making that kind of statement against his own coach in the press.

Fact is, a coach has millions of dollars on the line. I understand why coaches get ****** off when a team shows no effort.

I agree with this. If anyone thinks it's okay to throw things when you're mad then you must be a two year old. I'm totally okay with Fran's yelling and screaming if he thinks that will motivate the players but throwing a metal folding chair just makes you look like you have no self control and doing that while we were losing big, makes you look like a sore loser. Half this board ******* and complains about Iowa's lack of PR...well it looks like he was trying to address this one and you're still complaining. Having a video circulating of your coach throwing a chair is not good PR. Chances are the conversation between Barta and Fran more than likely addressed that.

Brands behaves the exact same way. If his team were performing like the basketball team was on that night, odds are pretty good that a chair would have gone flying somewhere. Nobody says boo about it because we contend for national championships every year.

It obviously did nothing to help in the MSU game, but they bounced back quite nicely. If slamming a chair got them to wake up and perform the way they did on Saturday, then I'm okay with it. He didn't chuck it across the court, he didn't hit a player, or anything like that. I highly doubt chair slamming was going to become a staple of his coaching philosophy to begin with.

Good God Barta can STFU. Either your on the franwagon or your off. And if you're off you can F*ck off like delaney and barta.

Brands behaves the exact same way. If his team were performing like the basketball team was on that night, odds are pretty good that a chair would have gone flying somewhere. Nobody says boo about it because we contend for national championships every year.

It obviously did nothing to help in the MSU game, but they bounced back quite nicely. If slamming a chair got them to wake up and perform the way they did on Saturday, then I'm okay with it. He didn't chuck it across the court, he didn't hit a player, or anything like that. I highly doubt chair slamming was going to become a staple of his coaching philosophy to begin with.

No one says anything about Brands because no one cares about wrestling besides wrestling fans in a few states. The accepted demeanor of the coaches in the two sports are also much different.

Posted this in a different thread. I can just see how this conversation went down between Barta and Fran:GB(sticking head in Fran's open office door and knocking), "Hey coach, you got a minute?"Fran, "I'm a little busy preparing for Purdue."GB, "This will just ttttake(voice shaking) a minute."Fran(looks at watch), "What's up?"GB, "Ummmm just got a call from the higher ups in the B1G and they were wondering....how do I put this(nervous laughter)...they want me to ask you to tone it down a bit."30 seconds of uncomfortable silenceFran, "we done here?"GB, "Yep, great win on Saturday coach."Fran(pointing at empty coffee cup), "You want to pitch that in the trash on your way out?"
hahahahahaha

No one says anything about Brands because no one cares about wrestling besides wrestling fans in a few states. The accepted demeanor of the coaches in the two sports are also much different.

So, it's socially unacceptable for a 50-year old man to behave this way if he's a basketball coach, but it's perfectly fine for a 43-year old man to behave the same way if he's a wrestling coach.

I agree that wrestling is a more intense sport, but that doesn't make the behavior any less childish than what Fran is doing.

If Barta (et al) focused half as much prompt attention and energy to marketing the program as he (they) just did to publicly throwing Fran under the bus, the program wouldn't be desperately trying to climb out of the debts of the unknown and irrelevant. And fans wouldn't be nearly as apathetic. Leave it to this archaic administration to try and screw up one of the few good things it has going for it.

Furthermore, a group of coaches (whom I support, for what it's worth) put a group of kids in the hospital as a result of an overly strenuous off-season workout and no such comment about "crossing the line" or "distracting from our goals" were made. Get a grip.

I stand behind Fran and, as a previous post indicated, he's the best thing to happen to Iowa basketball in a long, long time. Here's hoping he continues to change the culture and not apologize for it.

Agreed. Fran has done; and is doing what Barta hired him to do. "Light a fire" so to speak. Whatever it takes to compete and represent our University as a Big 10 Div. I B-Ball team. Get those big wins like we used to and should. If it takes a "Will Farrell" like rant. I love it. Fran deserves his respect

So, it's socially unacceptable for a 50-year old man to behave this way if he's a basketball coach, but it's perfectly fine for a 43-year old man to behave the same way if he's a wrestling coach.

I agree that wrestling is a more intense sport, but that doesn't make the behavior any less childish than what Fran is doing.

I don't really know what the general demeanor is for wrestling, but what Fran did is certainly not looked upon favorably in most basketball fans eyes. I just don't think you can compare wrestling and basketball because the coaches and fans live on completely different planets.

Latest posts