Barta: Chair Incident Crossed Line

Damn I just love Fran's quotes about the situation, and pretty much every thing he says. It seems like Fran is at the point in his life where he is completely comfortable in who he is as a person and as a coach. He doesn't avoid questions, he doesn't give the answers people are looking for, or just the generic coach speak. He tells you what he thinks, and he's confident enough to not hold back in any of his answers.

"The Hawkeyes responded Saturday with perhaps their best outing of the season, easily defeating No. 13 Michigan 75-59 at home to improve to 11-8, 3-3 Big Ten."

What if next game Fran aggressively snaps shut the cap to his dry erase pen? Barta should show him the door if that happens...

My God... seriously? It was a CHAIR. During a TIMEOUT. WITHOUT disrupting play.

The media doesn't get it for some reason..."That game was over with, it meant nothing and no way did it have any effect in the next game"...if that's true, then all coaching has no effect and they're a waste of money.

Exactly Ed. I hate that the media try's to spin it as a negative.
Why would the media see this as a positive? Unless you're an Iowa fan, Fran looks like a lunatic slamming a chair on the floor in the middle of a game that his team is getting destroyed.

Posted this in a different thread.

I can just see how this conversation went down between Barta and Fran:

GB(sticking head in Fran's open office door and knocking), "Hey coach, you got a minute?"
Fran, "I'm a little busy preparing for Purdue."
GB, "This will just ttttake(voice shaking) a minute."
Fran(looks at watch), "What's up?"
GB, "Ummmm just got a call from the higher ups in the B1G and they were wondering....how do I put this(nervous laughter)...they want me to ask you to tone it down a bit."

30 seconds of uncomfortable silence

Fran, "we done here?"
GB, "Yep, great win on Saturday coach."
Fran(pointing at empty coffee cup), "You want to pitch that in the trash on your way out?"

Posted this in a different thread.

I can just see how this conversation went down between Barta and Fran:

GB(sticking head in Fran's open office door and knocking), "Hey coach, you got a minute?"
Fran, "I'm a little busy preparing for Purdue."
GB, "This will just ttttake(voice shaking) a minute."
Fran(looks at watch), "What's up?"
GB, "Ummmm just got a call from the higher ups in the B1G and they were wondering....how do I put this(nervous laughter)...they want me to ask you to tone it down a bit."

30 seconds of uncomfortable silence

Fran, "we done here?"
GB, "Yep, great win on Saturday coach."
Fran(pointing at empty coffee cup), "You want to pitch that in the trash on your way out?"

You're probably not very far off...Fran is a very commanding person.

This is what I have been saying since the incident happened. Now whenever the media mentions Iowa they say something about him throwing a chair. Even with huge positives, such as the win over Michigan, they are adding something about the chair incident. Fran's temper gave the media a reason to focus on something other than the improvement of the Iowa basketball program.

This is what I have been saying since the incident happened. Now whenever the media mentions Iowa they say something about him throwing a chair. Even with huge positives, such as the win over Michigan, they are adding something about the chair incident. Fran's temper gave the media a reason to focus on something other than the improvement of the Iowa basketball program.

Do you remember when the media made a big deal about Frank Martin hitting a player? Probably not, it was a big deal for a week, much bigger than this story. It blew over and since then he's done nothing but keep K-State consistently in the top 25 and a B12 contender. Some times a program needs a personality like Martin and Fran have.

Your last sentence suggests they are independent of one another. I submit they are not.

With Iowa sitting in the 97th position (last I looked) in the current Director's Cup standings which measures overall success of the university's athletic programs maybe someone should be examining if Barta has crossed the line.

Maybe he should inform Sally M that Todd L is available and is known for his quiet demeanor which will keep the spotlight off of both of them.

Latest posts