Barta asks WHO-TV for apology

Todd has made Iowa Basketball the laughing stock of the NCAA

Will Gary Barta appologize to ue for that?

Here's the deal. I also thought the video crossed the line. C'mon. This is an 18-19 yr old kid that is getting a lot of pressure right now. There is no need to send the kid into a depression. Not one of us would want to be in his shoes. I bet you he & coach Lick would be the 1st to tell you he is not a Div I b-ball talent.

Here is what I think happen. Many on here presume big Lick is taking advantage of his position & b-ball program by playing his son. People, THEY DON'T HAVE ANYONE ELSE!! We didn't see a "lick" of LITTLE Lick prior to the Tucker suspension. If coach Lick was trying to pull a fast one, he would have found him some minutes before. I truly believe he is playing him out of need. We aren't going to have Brommer run the point. Geez, we aren't even going to have Bawinkle run the point. It is just Payne & Jon L.

I also think that it most likely was coach Todd L. intentions just to let his son be part of the team as a walk-on to participate in practice on a scout team. I don't think he really thought he was going to use him as much as he does. I seriously think he was just going to let him be part of the team for the opportunity to share these last few special yrs with him finally on his team. He most likely never had a chance to have him on one of his teams in the past. I don't think coach Lick ever intended for him to start or get substantial playing time in the Big 10. Hence, this is why he has walk-on status. He's not taking up a scholarship with his son, but just inviting him to participate on the team. You may have an argument that coach Lick has this team in this predicament that has to play his walk-on son, but that is it.

Be angry at Tucker! Be angry at him that he cannot keep himself in control & respect the team enough to stay clean. If Tucker would have been sensible, I doubt we would have this to talk about.

In a way I feel bad for both Lick's because, yes, coach Lick created this situation & the situation is causing a lot of pressure. But, I honestly don't think he ever thought it would come to fruition like it has.

I understand Barta is standing up for his man, as any A.D. would, but the piece was satire and humor is subjective. What is "over the line" for him, may not be "over the line" for some of us.

Let's get something straight, D1 athletes are ADULTS and PUBLIC FIGURES and are therefore subject to public criticism. While some of us don't find this video necessarily offensive, I did both laugh and cringe.

What most Hawkeye fans are the most upset about is the fact that our basketball program is so bad right now. Worst in 70 years (last time we had 3 straight losing seasons), so I imagine no one that posts on here has lived through that.

This video was done as a spoof to show how far Iowa basketball has fallen and Lil' Lick "Rudy" is forced to play 26 minutes in a game but without the happy ending (carried out of arena on teams' shoulders).

The basketball team's problem is NOT Jon Lickliter but he is a symptom and that is what the video was attempting to point out.

Perhaps Barta should ask the student bodies of the 10 other universities in the conference for an apology as well. What I have heard chanted during games coming from those sections is far more offending and degrading than a humor satire video on a late local sports show.

I imagine there is a much larger audience tuning into the games Iowa is involved with than there are tuned in on 11 PM Sunday night. And those watching the game will see John play and hear the insulting chants coming from the student sections. This will continue every game for the remainder of the season and for the next 3 years or as long as John and his father are part of the University of Iowa. Is it fair? No, but the nature of the beast is John is the coach's son and therefore he gets attached to his fathers criticism.

No Hawkeye student athlete should ever be ridiculed like that and I have no respect for those who would defend that because they are unhappy with the lack of success of the team.

This.

If you want to do a parody about Lick the coach and his decision to play his kid fine. A paraody on nepotism is fine but make it about the coach who gets paid to run the program. compare lick to the head of North Korea and him passing the torch to his son, or use the example of the Oil Company that dubbya ran into the ground after his daddy gave him the reigns. There are many ways to tell that story without making Jon the focal point.

What you DONT do is make it about the kid. The kid has done nothing other than choose to be with his dad. He isn't taking a schollie, he isn't taking a walk on spot was going to be used on someone else. Due to circumstances beyond his controll he's been thrust into the line up and he's played as well as can be expected.

Bottom line, the story was complete trash from a trashy station who at the very least owe the kid (not the coach) an appology.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. If I were Barta I'd refuse to issue WHO any media passes if they don't do the right thing. Bet your *** that would get thier panties in a bunch.

This.

If you want to do a parody about Lick the coach and his decision to play his kid fine. A paraody on nepotism is fine but make it about the coach who gets paid to run the program. compare lick to the head of North Korea and him passing the torch to his son, or use the example of the Oil Company that dubbya ran into the ground after his daddy gave him the reigns. There are many ways to tell that story without making Jon the focal point.

What you DONT do is make it about the kid. The kid has done nothing other than choose to be with his dad. He isn't taking a schollie, he isn't taking a walk on spot was going to be used on someone else. Due to circumstances beyond his controll he's been thrust into the line up and he's played as well as can be expected.

Bottom line, the story was complete trash from a trashy station who at the very least owe the kid (not the coach) an appology.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. If I were Barta I'd refuse to issue WHO any media passes if they don't do the right thing. Bet your *** that would get thier panties in a bunch.

This is a delicate situation as WHO is the "flagship" radio station for Hawkeye sports. With Learfield owning the broadcast rights Barta does have a little more room to crack down on WHO TV but not much.

Barta should also keep in mind that he does not want to get into a war of words with a TV station/show because they will always get the last word in any conversation/interview/story.

This.

By virtue of playing basketball for Iowa, John Lickliter has made himself a public figure. There are perks to being in the public eye, and there are downsides. You cannot accept one without the other. Being a public figure means you are open to public scrutiny.

This.

Cha Ching Cha Ching! Well stated.

Leave the kid alone. What they did was bush-league. Maybe ? the coach. This would be a totally different situation if Jon was given a scholarship, but he was not. He simply was added to the team as a walk-on to share this experience with his father prior to going on with his life. Nothing more. Under circumstances was forced to play some minutes.

Aside from not having the most athleticism, the kid knows the game & where he is supposed to be on the court. He may lack to size & talent to compete consistently at this level, but he is fine with playing on the scout team during practice because he does know the x's & Y's of the game. I think coach Lick realizes this.

Knowing that Payne has Pnemonia, it is hard to understand why anyone could possibly be critical of John playing 24 minutes at Michigan especially since we were getting blown out anyways and were not in the game.

There are many reasons to criticize Coach. This certainly is not one of them.

I wonder if this is the so called media bomb?

I cant believe Todd L

Have you seen his interview about the video

He is trying to play victim in my opinion

If John L. is still on the team for his senior year and plays on senior day should the coach send J.R. Angle an apology?

He should have apologized to JR Angle after the game in the press conference.

TL doesnt understand how to treat people that is why he keeps losing players.

So little lick wouldn't start for any d1 team. Please name all of the walk-on redshirt freshman tha are skilled enough to start for a d1 team. I just want to compile a list of highly talented players that were not offered a schollie but have the abillity to start that early in thier career.

Casey Peters would start for Iowa. He is a walk on at Duke.

This.

The last thing Barta can afford to do is get into a pissin' match with WHO.

Casey Peters would start for Iowa. He is a walk on at Duke.

Casey Peters is also a junior. The question was whether anyone could name a single redshirt freshman walkon who is good enough to start for any D1 team. Since there aren't any, it's unfair to expect Lick to be that good or to make fun of him because he isn't.

Knowing that Payne has Pnemonia, it is hard to understand why anyone could possibly be critical of John playing 24 minutes at Michigan especially since we were getting blown out anyways and were not in the game.

There are many reasons to criticize Coach. This certainly is not one of them.

I wonder if this is the so called media bomb?

Payne and Lickliter played together for much of the game

By virtue of playing basketball for Iowa, John Lickliter has made himself a public figure. There are perks to being in the public eye, and there are downsides. You cannot accept one without the other. Being a public figure means you are open to public scrutiny.

Being open to public scrutiny is a Hell of a lot different from being open to public ridicule.

I don't think WHO is too worried about not getting media passes. No one at the station wants to drive that far to cover this crap anyway.