Barta asks WHO-TV for apology

I read this and laughed because I don't think he has a clue. And I would love to reply to him with this:

Dear Mr. Barta,

I am writing this in response to a letter of apology you requested from WHO-TV in regards to a video they produced you felt was "crossing the line". Myself, along with other basketball season ticket holders, would like an apology from YOU! We deserve an apology for spending our hard earned cash year after year on the pathetic product coach Lickliter and his staff have been putting on the court the last 3 years.

Iowa basketball has become a complete joke and WHO-TV was adding humor to an otherwise depressing situation. If you hadn't hired a clueless coach who is in way over his head that has turned the basketball program into a complete joke, then this video never exists.

Mr. Barta, you should be embarrassed and get a clue about the empty seats that are obviously apparent in this video and the 300 Illinois students that overtook a once proud Carver Hawkeye Arena during the home game with Illinois. If this failure continues I can assure you there will be worse things to come of it than some spoof video making light of a embarrassing situation.

Perhaps you should also request an apology from ESPN, FOX, Sports Illustrated, among others, as well because I have read and seen things recently regarding Iowa basketball far more offending from these media sources.

While your requesting apologies why don't you also request one from each of the 10 conference members student bodies as well. I don't know if you noticed but the chants coming from opposing team's fanbase are far more offending toward this individual than anything mentioned in the humor satire video. And it will continue as long as this individual is on the team and his father is the head coach.

Thank you for your time and will be expecting an apology soon...

Last edited:
I've expressed my opinion on this piece and agree that it crossed the line. My question to Barta: why did it take you so long?

I read this and laughed because I don't think he has a clue. And I would love to reply to him with this:

Dear Mr. Barta,

I am writing this in response to a letter of apology you requested from WHO-TV in regards to a video they produced you felt was "crossing the line". Myself, along with other basketball season ticket holders, would like an apology from YOU! We deserve an apology for spending our hard earned cash year after year on the pathetic product coach Lickliter and his staff have been putting on the court the last 3 years.

Iowa basketball has become a complete joke and WHO-TV was adding humor to an otherwise depressing situation. If you hadn't hired a clueless coach who is in way over his head that has turned the basketball program into a complete joke, then this video never exists.

Mr. Barta, you should be embarrassed and get a clue about the empty seats that are obviously apparent in this video and the 300 Illinois students that overtook a once proud Carver Hawkeye Arena during the home game with Illinois. If this failure continues I can assure you there will be worse things to come of it than some spoof video making light of a embarrassing situation.

Perhaps you should also request an apology from ESPN, FOX, Sports Illustrated, among others, as well because I have read and seen things recently regarding Iowa basketball far more offending from these media sources.

wait what? What have you seen?

Dear Mr. Barta,

If you really have the courage, e-mail your note to Barta or print it out, buy a stamp and send it. But don't confuse criticism of the program with the inappropriateness of singling out a student-athlete and making fun of him.

Singling out a player is bush league. Call out the coaches, the AD, the ones making money. Don't single out a player. I didn't watch the bit, and I'm not going to, but don't single out a player who works his butt off for nothing.

If you really have the courage, e-mail your note to Barta or print it out, buy a stamp and send it. But don't confuse criticism of the program with the inappropriateness of singling out a student-athlete and making fun of him.

When one accepts a scholarship to play athletics at the D-1 level they must realize that with the publicity of local media and ESPN highlights with success comes the same expecations of criticism with failure. D-1 athletes are somewhat "celebrities" because of ESPN and local media showcasing these individuals talents and building their popularity. And as a celebrity, comes criticism. That is something they must learn to deal with. You want to be praised for your success then expect the negativity with your failure.

BTW, I understood this "Little Lick, Lotta Bite" video as a kid that doesn't have a ton of talent nicknamed Lil' Lick because of his stature but when he plays he plays hard and "shows a lot of bite in him" (e.i. 'Lotta Bite') playing for a team that is not successful. It makes light of a depressing state of affairs IMO.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Barta. It was VERY unnecessary. Murphy and Fales try WAY too hard to be funny and they've made quite a few blunders recently in regards to going too far with their "jokes".

I haven't seen the piece and don't care to. It's just another symptom of the decay of Iowa basketball: Now we're a joke in our own state.

I have heard Murphy talking about this (and reading e-mail from listeners/viewers) on his radio show, and I think he regrets airing it. He just doesn't want to go quite so far as to admit that.

By the way I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest that it's Barta who owes us an apology. He blew the single most important responsibility of his job.

Last edited:
Taking potshots at coaches, ADs, paid personnel with the athletic department is one thing; taking potshots at a player is crossing the line.

But asking for an apology from a media outlet is rather ridiculous and as futile as Iowa's offense.

I completely agree with Barta. It was VERY unnecessary. Murphy and Fales try WAY too hard to be funny and they've made quite a few blunders recently in regards to going too far with their "jokes".

They also did a bit poking fun at Nebraska Cornhuskers fans that was truly offensive. Nobody seemed bothered by that. Perhaps the Nebraska A.D. should ask for an apology. Or how about Lucca Staiger's parents asking for an apology for the piece on Lucca Staiger and his situation?

I don't know, maybe I am not taking this video as seriously as some of you. But I'm glad because Iowa basketball has been depressing and irrelevant for 5 years and when someone can make light of the situation with a little ridiculous humor to make the situation a little less depressing then so be it.

Hey, at least this makes Iowa basketball relevant for once!

When one accepts a scholarship to play athletics at the D-1 level they must realize that with the publicity of local media and ESPN highlights with success comes the same expecations of criticism with failure. D-1 athletes are somewhat "celebrities" because of ESPN and local media showcasing these individuals talents and building their popularity. And as a celebrity, comes criticism. That is something they must learn to deal with. You want to be praised for your success then expect the negativity with your failure.

BTW, I understood this "Little Lick, Lotta Bite" video as a kid that doesn't have a ton of talent nicknamed Lil' Lick because of his stature but when he plays he plays hard and "shows a lot of bite in him" (e.i. 'Lotta Bite') playing for a team that is not successful. It makes light of a depressing state of affairs IMO.

JL is not a scholarship D1 player. He is however a kid who walked on and works hard when he gets on the court.

I would also think about editing that all inspiring letter before you sent it. There are also "some" season ticket holders who understand that rebuilding is a process.

They also did a bit poking fun at Nebraska Cornhuskers fans that was truly offensive. Nobody seemed bothered by that. Perhaps the Nebraska A.D. should ask for an apology. Or how about Lucca Staiger's parents asking for an apology for the piece on Lucca Staiger and his situation?

Didn't see either one.

Targeting a caricature of Cornhusker fans as a group is quite different than taking a potshot at an individual player's ability. And it's Nebraska so what's the big deal?

Ive heard Jon called Lil Lick a scrub on his show several times. Hope barta doesnt hear about that...

I havent seen the video..but if I think I deserve an apology, I ask the party direct and dont issue a press release about it.

... if I think I deserve an apology, I ask the party direct and dont issue a press release about it.
Yeah, exactly.

Seems like Barta is wanting to draw attention to this so the wagons can be circled tighter at CHA and/or for other future reasons.

I can't imagine Murphy and Fales are happy with Marty Tirrell (sp?) constantly talking on his radio show about how unhappy those two are at WHO. Not a week goes by when he does't mention it.

About Tirrell: He's a lying sack of crap. And he's horrible at what he does.

On the plus side, he is consistent . . . (in both points above).

Ive heard Jon called Lil Lick a scrub on his show several times. Hope barta doesnt hear about that...

I havent seen the video..but if I think I deserve an apology, I ask the party direct and dont issue a press release about it.

I don't think john belongs on a bi ten court they way he has been this year. He is not a big ten player.

I have certainly said things along those lines. But I also say that I don't fault John and he busts his tail as hard as he can when he is put into games. I have nothing against John. But no one can seriously suggest he is a big ten player and I don't think he'd start for any D1 team I can think of

Him having to play is a symptom of the bigger problems and Todd saying he should have been playing more makes matters worse.

This has nothing to do with the video