Band Member's Social Media Post

When did the Athletic Department become responsible for the band. It's up to the university of Iowa, not the Athletic Department.

Sounds like we need to reassess the band as a whole. Like, maybe no more away games.

This is one place I sort of agree with you on. The Ath Dept shouldnt be responsible for the band but it was an athletic event. If Barta would have somewhat stayed on the sidelines and let the UI handle the very first press release and the investigation with Story County things might have gone differently .

But maybe the BAnd directors and Band are under the auspices of the Ath Dept on road trips, I dont know and neither do most. The Band Director and Chair of Music Dept should have went to the Prez for all he good that would do and other authorities.

And then Pollard derp wouldnt have got involved with conjuring up issues from previous years (and I know and have seen Iowa fans in ICity who are rude to visitor fans, havent seen it to the visitors band).

When did the Athletic Department become responsible for the band. It's up to the university of Iowa, not the Athletic Department.

Sounds like we need to reassess the band as a whole. Like, maybe no more away games.
Yes, but Barta also sent out that statement a few days ago addressing the problem. As far as I'm concerned, he is part of all this and a big figure head at the UofI. Our President must be hiding in a hole somewhere.

And you want the athletic department to do what exactly? Maybe we could drop a nuclear weapon on the entire city of Ames because that would stand a good chance of bringing the person who threw a beer to justice.

I’m sure you have a sure fire plan to catch this perp, Amirite @tweeterhawk ?

They should do nothing....sounds like the best plan.

Barta has really dropped the ball on this and I give him a huge fat "F." I'm glad these band members are coming forward and telling their stories. Bye the way, where is Iowa's President in all of this?!?!? He needs to step up to the plate and address this situation.
Don't you think Gary was told to drop this? I do. The fault on this going away is on whomever told Gary to drop it.

Some of you people of so freaking stupid. Someone chucks a beer bottle at this kid and puts a bruise the size of a softball on his arm and you idiots are chastising him for not taking a picture when the guy threw the bottle. What the F. I have kids this age...someone throws a beer bottle at my daughter...I'm loaded for bear to have a University representative take responsibility for not having proper security or protection when they are leaving that stadium. I empathize with a band member's parent who finds out about this.

I would also kick Gary Barta in the nuts, well, for several things actually...but for just rolling over and saying..."Well, Mr Pollard says it happens to them in Iowa City, so we stand together as eunuchs and won't really do anything but make a joint statement." Social media has been around for a few years you idiot...can someone produce some sort of history here of what happened last year?

These kids deserve more respect for coming forward and saying they deserve better. They do.

Some of you people of so freaking stupid. Someone chucks a beer bottle at this kid and puts a bruise the size of a softball on his arm and you idiots are chastising him for not taking a picture when the guy threw the bottle. What the F. I have kids this age...someone throws a beer bottle at my daughter...I'm loaded for bear to have a University representative take responsibility for not having proper security or protection when they are leaving that stadium. I empathize with a band member's parent who finds out about this.

I would also kick Gary Barta in the nuts, well, for several things actually...but for just rolling over and saying..."Well, Mr Pollard says it happens to them in Iowa City, so we stand together as eunuchs and won't really do anything but make a joint statement." Social media has been around for a few years you idiot...can someone produce some sort of history here of what happened last year?

These kids deserve more respect for coming forward and saying they deserve better. They do.

Agreed, hell I'm pissed and it's not even my kid! I can't believe they'd sweep something like this under the rug.

60,000 people at this game....friggin INVESTIGATE!!!

For about the nineteenth time, Gary Barta should be fired.

For about the fifth time, Gary Barta should be fired for cause and not paid another cent.

It's sad that anyone with a brain and a pulse could have seen this coming, but Gary Barta couldn't...either because he doesn't care or he isn't smart enough.

If Barta would have somewhat stayed on the sidelines and let the UI handle the very first press release and the investigation with Story County things might have gone differently
Yep, should have stayed out of it, unless something had been directed to him and they felt a need to respond (and better if that response had come from Pres).

Statement:
We understand there was an issue.... We turned it over to the police to investigate, and will cooperate with them as needed... Student services working with our students who were involved...
End of statement, end of Barta's involvement.

But at this point, the band should be mad at the clown perps, and at whoever advised them to go to Barta / school officials rather than the cops. I doubt the AD has the power to punish a U of I student, let alone somebody in Ames. Expecting him to help investigate / resolve is silly.

And tell me how many people are standing there with their cellphones just ready to get video of a beer can flying threw the air or when someone pushes a band member. First no one is expecting this to happen and it happens so fast.

I don't like fake outrage. Come with proof and then get outraged.

How much proof do you need? You got one kid going to the hospital with a broken rib, another showing where a beer bottle hit him in the arm...or are you going with the conspiracy theory that he did it to himself or it's make-up? You want the medical record for the hospital visit? You were the one talking about Jussie Smollet and how this was all some band members over-reaction. I think you have to reserve judgment here until more comes out...but you took a critical tone from the outset.

Band members take a lot of shit...not sure why exactly, but I remember it when I was in high school and college and I may have been on the giving part of some of it, as I was a football player and partied my ass off on football weekends. I did stupid shit I'm sure. But I didn't throw bottles at marching band members.

When you get older, have kids, and view something like this through a parent lens...it pisses you off. Honestly, I wish I would have been there when one of these douchebags throws a glass bottle at a kid because he's wearing another school's colors and represents the University. I would have detained the motherf&%&er that's for sure, or followed him around until I found a cop. It's bullshit.

Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands and thrust an effin clarinet in someones windpipe! Weapons of opportunity are everywhere in a band!!! I'd be gouging out eyeballs with a flute if I had to. But hey, that's just me.