Band Member's Social Media Post

You get enough velocity on a well thrown cymbal(frisbee style) and you just might be able to take a clowns head off. Personally though...I would take two cymbals and start serving up deafoning, bloody, ear claps.

Again, that's just me though and I'm just spit balling ideas...the possibilities are endless!

Keep em coming.

These ideas of punishing the band is dumb. So idiot fans physically/verbally abused band members so the punishment is to get rid of the band and/or ban ISU's band from coming to Iowa City next year? Sounds like a great plan, punish the victims?

I have a better idea, how about we hold whoever did this crap accountable? Bands are an important part of the game day experience in college & high school football. Let's not take that away because of a couple of drunk idiots.

1. I believe three were polk county officers and one was a statey.
2. Pollard said they were with them all day. There are various reports that they went ahead to the bus during the incident, but like with everything, we don't actually know.
So that could be the issue that they weren't with the band. Makes sense why they would want to hush that part up and drop it to not make the police and state look bad.

Why not bring the buses up to the stadium and not make them walk through the drunks?

So that could be the issue that they weren't with the band. Makes sense why they would want to hush that part up and drop it to not make the police and state look bad.

Why not bring the buses up to the stadium and not make them walk through the drunks?
Because the drunks were in the way and the bus couldn't get up there?

My biggest problem with this kid's post is that it shows no critical think skills. Barta didn't squash the investigation. The Athletic Department didn't squash it. It came from much higher up. The future of our great nation is in trouble if its college kids can't see something like that.

Bands stay home. Saves money, wont be missed. No babysitting required. I played in band in high school.....played 4 sports...before any tromboner or flautist replies in anger. But the football game is the "show" and if the rest cant be properly policed, cut it.

R u one of those that marched in your football uniform? Is that why you are angry?

Why wait 'tiil Sunday?

If you're convinced you were wronged / the victim of a crime, why wouldn't you deal w/ it at the time? The only realistic chance to find the perp is to deal w/ it then..

If they wouldn't take the time immediately, they shouldn't get all bent out of shape when things don't happen later, when there's no reasonable chance of tracking down the guy anyway.

If you have been attacked physically it s not uncommon to go into freeze or flight. It s dependent also on your background.

If you are the recipient of a violent attack that is unprovoked or the response is way beyond any offense...or a child who has been abused, what are you? Look up the meaning of victim. There are always whiners, but a physical threat or an actual attack does something to the brain. Minimally unless a real adult steps up to the plate, most young victims aren't going to do anything at first.

My guess is you are calloused for a reason. You also are remarkably similar is writing style and cadence to several others on here.

Because you could leave the buses there or get them after half time? You think like an AD. ( Meaning, you don't think, critical think skills)
Overreact much buddy. Going for a personal attack when I respond with a simple, practical answer. Way to win the internet tough guy.

Or how about this, the band will most likely arrive prior to the game starting. Name one sporting event/venue that is going to allow buses (multiple) to block an entrance for that time?

Or how about a little thing called fire lanes?

Or who is DUMB enough to park an opposing team's band buses in the middle of the drunken fans?

Bands stay home. Saves money, wont be missed. No babysitting required. I played in band in high school.....played 4 sports...before any tromboner or flautist replies in anger. But the football game is the "show" and if the rest cant be properly policed, cut it.

Kill joy. the band is part of the UI and part of their mission is to march at football games.

Yes, it is up to others to decide if they go into hostile territory.

I think with all the money the UI has they could have better security going forward.

Nobody is going to mess with the football players but maybe the trainers and equipment crew.

bummer this happens

These ideas of punishing the band is dumb. So idiot fans physically/verbally abused band members so the punishment is to get rid of the band and/or ban ISU's band from coming to Iowa City next year? Sounds like a great plan, punish the victims?

I have a better idea, how about we hold whoever did this crap accountable? Bands are an important part of the game day experience in college & high school football. Let's not take that away because of a couple of drunk idiots.

And I cant believe there are not security cams all around the stadium, outside and inside. You want security cams up high covering everything so if anyone tries to deface or destroy at 2 AM or whenever you can get them or deter them in the first place.

This is good point, let the band exit the stadium about 20 minutes post game as sometimes they play post game anyway and then bring the buses up closer to the stadium.

Go ideas.

My biggest problem with this kid's post is that it shows no critical think skills. Barta didn't squash the investigation. The Athletic Department didn't squash it. It came from much higher up. The future of our great nation is in trouble if its college kids can't see something like that.

Wow you logic is off and way off. The band student doesnt have to link the status of the investigation to his tweet because he has the first amendment right to tweet most anything he wants.

You need to get off this young mans case.

Wow you logic is off and way off. The band student doesnt have to link the status of the investigation to his tweet because he has the first amendment right to tweet most anything he wants.

You need to get off this young mans case.
Reread the entire thread, I have actually been defending his reaction the entire thread.
My last post was more about how the kid/band/posters have been blaming Barta for ending the investigation/sweeping this under the rug when anyone who takes a critical thought about it can realize Barta was muzzled on this one.

70807153_2421919984753265_3447512640102858752_n.jpg

Another possibility.

Clearly Barta didn't investigate. Maybe he didn't even alert the UI president. Maybe he and Pollard met with a power broker, someone who feels he owns the UI president for instance, and they decided to shut it down.

But they erred because they are arrrogant and clueless and didn't realize this might just have legs and they were surprised that some college students display courage at times.
Regardless of what happens now with this supposedly reopened “investigation,” the fact remains the initial tepid reaction by Barta and by the the president’s office was seriously lacking ... and wrong. The safety and well-being of University of Iowa students took back seat to the almighty dollar.

Clearly Barta and Pollard tried to sweep this under the rug, likely hoping to not jeopardize the annual rivalry game. Were they pressured by higher-ups? We can speculate.

Where was the Board of Regents when this was first reported? Were there any board members concerned enough to call the presidents to ask what the F happened? And what was being about it?

I doubt it.

The corn growers don’t come out of this without some taint. Is this the kind of attention they want for themselves as game sponsors?