Badger Football Hire a Lesson for Iowa?

The lesson here is that Iowa pays a slightly above average B10 coach (6 games over .500 in his career) an elite salary.

When they do have to hire their next coach if they offer an elite salary, 4 million, they will probably get another slightly above average B10 coach.

If they throw 1/1.5 mill out there, they're going to get a coach like Wisconsin got, their 5th choice or so. Might be a good hire, might be a bad one, but not one of their top choices from the jump.

If Iowa throws out a crazy elite salary like 8 million per year (which they can more than afford to do) they could get a really good/great coach here.

4. Some would say as of now we are in the "easier" division to win and make it to the BIG championship game.

I would agree with that only because of OSU and Urban Meyer. Take that out of the discussion and the Leaders division has some real issues. The BADgers are a big question mark now with Biff gone, scholly reduction is eventually going to catch up to PSU, Indiana still has to prove it can be an up and comer, Purdue is back to square one with a new coach and Illinois is abysmal.

If the point of this article is that Iowa will probably end up with someone relatively unknown as its next coach, then I'd say that's probably pretty accurate. I'm guessing Iowa will play it cheap whenever it's time to hire the next coach than to try and get someone established for $4 million a year (whether or not we could hire someone proven is another discussion). I would like to be wrong and see Iowa go for the gold. I just don't think it will happen. I just think it would rather get its next coach for $1.5 million, then do something flashy and throw an extra mil or 2 payraise at someone who's already had success as a head coach.

But if the point of this article is to remind us about how bad it could get under the next coach, then spare me the "be careful what you wish for" lecture, because it's tired and old. You don't stick with mediocrity, going 4-8 or 5-7, just because you're afraid of going 2-10.

KF hasn't produced in recent history nearly what he produced through 2004 enroute to his big paycheck, and the program is not in good shape. I'm willing to give KF another year or two to see if he can get the program back on its feet again before officially joining the "Fire Ferentz!" crowd - I think he's earned that chance. If he can get the program back to where it needs to be, then GREAT. If not, then it's time for a change.

I don't know what you are driving at with this Jon other than not knowing what you are talking about.

Wisconsin has had a long history of hiring guys that aren't on most pundits/sports writers/or internet honks radar. Lets look at who Wisconsin has hired recently in their major sports. All of whom have been someone the average internet message board poster knew nothing about.

1. Barry Alvarez (1989)--Was a Defensive Coordinator at Notre Dame. Zero head coaching experience. He now has a statue of himself outside of Camp Randall

2. Stu Jackson (1992)--Coached UW to their first NCAA tournament in 40 years. Recruited Michael Finley. He's now the NBA's deputy commisioner. Stan Van Gundy took over after Jackson. No one had ever heard of Stu Jackson.

3. Dick Bennett (1995)--Coached Wisconsin Green Bay. Took UW to the Final Four and now known as one of the best defensive minds the game has seen. Inducted into the BB hall of fame. No one was going to give Dick Bennett a Division I job.

4. Bo Ryan (2001)--Has the highest winning percentage in BIG. Advanced to the NCAA tournament 11 straight years. Previously coached at a Division III school. When he was hired people said "Bo who?!!!"

5. Bret Bielema (2006)--Division I coordinator at Wisconsin and when he was hired Alvarez was criticized for hiring an unknown coaching commodity with no head coaching experience. 3-straight BIG titles

Let me repeat, All of those names above were people the average fan had NEVER heard of. No most of them are household names in BIG and even nationally.

In short I think this shows that UW has the guts and foresight to hire coaches that they think are good irregardless of whether Jon Miller, Stephen A. Smith, Kirk Herbstreit, Chris Fowler or Erin Andrews think it's a good hire. Barry knows what he's doing and he's proven it.

Pretty much 99% of Badger fans know the hire history that Barry and Pat Richter have accomplished during their time in Madison. There really hasn't been one bad hire yet. You can add Mike Eaves their hockey coach in that group too.

LOL...because of his Bert hire? He didn't hire any of those other doods, brah.

Good post Jon, I would think your point would at the very least give people some thoughts to chew on. If I belived we could trade KF even up for Bob Stoops, Nick Saben, or say a Urben Meyer that would be one thing. Not because Im so sure they are a better coach. But because I think they could bring in more talant. But thats not going to happen. I belive KF will turn this back around. In my opinion the bad coaching job KF did was the year after the Orange Bowl win. He didnt get even close to the most out of that team. Somehting you HAVE to do at Iowa

If someone asked if I think we have seen the last 10 win season of Kirk Ferentz era, my answer would be yes. The historical odds would bet against that, the return of Michigan, Nebraska now on the schedule each year...several factors

Seriously? Then why not cut your losses short now and start over? If Garta thinks the way you do, here, then he needs to be gone as well. I agree with you that I don't think there will be another 10 win season under Kurt and that is why I'd like to see him move on.

Here is what I used to tel people when they complained that I was overpaid: "Well, I understand. But, all I did was apply for the job. When I leave here, you should get out your resume'."
Ya it's tough...all the other paper haulers are always jealous of the cat with the biggest paper route....nasty, jelous folks in SheBoyGin to be sure!

To get back to the original point that I think Iowa has more advantages to hiring a coach then Wisconsin.
1. more money to throw at Coach
2. Not in Barry's shadow all the time. Bret could have went to 5 straight rose bowls and went 1-4 and they would have said he sucked and Barry was 3-0.
3. i have not done the research but I feel like we have way more coaches with Iowa Ties than wisconsin ties.
4. Some would say as of now we are in the "easier" division to win and make it to the BIG championship game.

I also understand that a good coach in a Big conference is not going to come to Iowa. Peterson from Boise is not going to come to Iowa even if we paid him $5mill a year. But i think we could get a solid OC/DC from a big conference. The problem all schools have with that is you don't know what they will be as head coaches. I thought Wisc should go after Kirby Smart and pay him the 2.3 mill that Bret was making. He likes the ground and pound game and I thought that would be a great first job for him that he could lead into a SEC job.

LMAO. Just because Iowa DOES throw more money at their coach doesn't mean they HAVE more money to throw at their coach. Wisconsin has a healthier football program, basketball program and has sold out both major sports for well over a decade.

In case you didn't notice we are going to our 3rd consecutive Rose Bowl and our 6th in 20 years. Wisconsin is on a higher tier than Iowa is right now and it isn't even an arguable point.

One more thought. In Jon's rationale he is making the assumption that things will turn around under Ferentz. Therefore the program gets back on it's feet faster.

What if that assumption isn't correct? What if he have 2 or three more years of .500 or sub.500 seasons. Wouldn't that make it even harder to land a quality guy?

I don't think it's time for a change yet. KF's record at Iowa has earned the opportunity for a little more slack... but not much more.

You are so scared of change, Jon. How many of the Wisconsin beat guys are being paid millions of dollars to put time and research into finding the best possible candidate for Wisconsin's head coaching position? *crickets* (That's what I thought)

How much is Iowa paying you to scour the coaching landscape to find assistants and coordinators that are completely lighting up their conference? Coaches that are a huge fish in a small pond waiting for an opportunity to prove it but aren't on beat guys "short lists" because they haven't heard their name mentioned on ESPN.

You (and every Kurt apologist) relentlessly bring up the Stoops clan. Who cares about them? Sure, they're good coaches, but they aren't exactly world beaters.

Urban Meyer coached at Ball State before going to Utah. Brian Kelly was coaching at Cincinnati after coaching at Grand Valley State and Central Michigan.

Bob Diaco didn't even get a call from Wisconsin, you know him, right? (Oh, but he didn't get the job. Must not have hired the right guy)

This know-it-all approach from the fans and media shows how naive some people really are. If he isn't successful it's not because YOU or the fans weren't familiar with him.

Utah State nearly beat Wisconsin earlier this year, maybe that's what caught Alvarez's eye.

You are so scared of change, Jon. How many of the Wisconsin beat guys are being paid millions of dollars to put time and research into finding the best possible candidate for Wisconsin's head coaching position? *crickets* (That's what I thought)

How much is Iowa paying you to scour the coaching landscape to find assistants and coordinators that are completely lighting up their conference? Coaches that are a huge fish in a small pond waiting for an opportunity to prove it but aren't on beat guys "short lists" because they haven't heard their name mentioned on ESPN.

You (and every Kurt apologist) relentlessly bring up the Stoops clan. Who cares about them? Sure, they're good coaches, but they aren't exactly world beaters.

Urban Meyer coached at Ball State before going to Utah. Brian Kelly was coaching at Cincinnati after coaching at Grand Valley State and Central Michigan.

Bob Diaco didn't even get a call from Wisconsin, you know him, right? (Oh, but he didn't get the job. Must not have hired the right guy)

This know-it-all approach from the fans and media shows how naive some people really are. If he isn't successful it's not because YOU or the fans weren't familiar with him.

Utah State nearly beat Wisconsin earlier this year, maybe that's what caught Alvarez's eye.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner and a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Most college football fans know about 5 names (Saban, Meyer, Miles, Chris Petersen) and everyone else is worthless in their eyes. Believe me, there is a TON of coaching talent out there that just don't happen to be household names are weren't "groomed" by coaching under some retired famous coach.

Wisconsin fans think they just hired Nick Saban. They are the dumbest ****ers in the country

No, we don't want Nick Saban, we kicked his A## when he was at MSU. Saban is successful because he's coaching at Alabama and prior to that LSU. You've got to really be terrible to mess up those jobs. Saban was beyond terrible in the NFL. Why do you think he went back to college?

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner and a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Most college football fans know about 5 names (Saban, Meyer, Miles, Chris Petersen) and everyone else is worthless in their eyes. Believe me, there is a TON of coaching talent out there that just don't happen to be household names are weren't "groomed" by coaching under some retired famous coach.

Most college football fans outside of SEC country associate Saban, Meyer and Miles with cheating NOT coaching ability. Same with Jim Tressel as well. You can throw Chizik after the NC he won but then he turned to crap.

Which was what exactly? That we should judge coaching hires the day after they happen?

I believe that the point is the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It is a precautionary tale, doesn't mean that it will or won't be but it is a distinct possibility.

I believe that the point is the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It is a precautionary tale, doesn't mean that it will or won't be but it is a distinct possibility.

Unless of course Andersen actually, you know, succeeds in Madison. Then the point is what?

Did he also say he was playing the most pathetic schedule in recent Hawkeye History? 6 wins should have been a gimme. This Iowa team would probably have won 6 games, without a coaching staff. He screwed that up, big time, with inexplicable home losses to Purdue and Central Michigan, and ISU. All average to below average teams at best. There was a time when Kinnick was a tough place to play. those days are gone, too.

How can you be excited when we have much tougher schedule and no idea whatsoever if we even have a qb capable of being a competent Big 10 QB.

LMAO. Just because Iowa DOES throw more money at their coach doesn't mean they HAVE more money to throw at their coach. Wisconsin has a healthier football program, basketball program and has sold out both major sports for well over a decade.

In case you didn't notice we are going to our 3rd consecutive Rose Bowl and our 6th in 20 years. Wisconsin is on a higher tier than Iowa is right now and it isn't even an arguable point.

LMAO. Iowa's athletic department is something like 15th nationally in revenue. It HAS the money.

Latest posts