Back to the Lickliter years...

Who's expectations?

What ever the answer, I always thought the idea was be a great as you can be...not just better than people think you are...especially when the bar is low.

that's idea sure, but find me anyone who predicted Iowa finishing in the top 3 in the B1G the last 2 seasons?

And, just because the defensive rating was better and the offense was close (in your mind) doesn't mean the team was better. That team beat no ranked team (this one has beaten Purdue and Iowa State while they were ranked). Yes, they lost to Omaha and Memphis (who are not good). Do you rank good wins for a team better than bad losses knock a team down?

I would describe that as an up and down team with a higher celing than Lick's 2nd team. That doesn't make them worse in my eyes.

sorry to hi-jack your interaction, but...

I agree, this team is better than Lick's 2nd team. Thing is...this is Fran's 7th year.

sorry to hi-jack your interaction, but...

I agree, this team is better than Lick's 2nd team. Thing is...this is Fran's 7th year.

And, if you have been reading the interaction, that's my point. Izzo's (22nd year) is struggling with injuries, young players, and late game situations. They lost to Northeastern and Penn State (neutral floor). Oklahoma (went to Final 4 last year) is struggling in Krueger's 6th year with injuries, young players, and late game situations (see ISU game). They lost to UNI!

What is the significance of it being his 7th year?

And, if you have been reading the interaction, that's my point. Izzo's (22nd year) is struggling with injuries, young players, and late game situations. They lost to Northeastern and Penn State (neutral floor). Oklahoma (went to Final 4 last year) is struggling in Krueger's 6th year with injuries, young players, and late game situations (see ISU game). They lost to UNI!

We haven't had any significant injuries like Michigan State had. Not sure about Oklahoma

7 years in, you SHOULD have a better team than a coach 2 years in (the Lick comparison).

As for Kreuger and Izzo...sure, most teams have down years. Let me know when Fran puts up a Final Four or Sweet 16 like Krueger (Izzo's body of work is in another realm), then Fran gets the "down year" free pass. As of now...2 NCAA tourney wins in two years is his peak.

We haven't had any significant injuries like Michigan State had. Not sure about Oklahoma

Oklahoma's senior PG Woodard missed 4 games (all losses).

I didn't say significant injuries, but Iowa's leading scorer is clearly not healthy and not 100%. Tyler Cook missed games, and there have been some nagging things (Uhl, Pemsl, Bohannon) that haven't helped. It's not the reason they have struggled, but it hasn't helped. When healthy (or relatively so), this team beat ISU, Michigan, and Purdue at home. Not awesome, but not bad.

7 years in, you SHOULD have a better team than a coach 2 years in (the Lick comparison).

As for Kreuger and Izzo...sure, most teams have down years. Let me know when Fran puts up a Final Four or Sweet 16 like Krueger (Izzo's body of work is in another realm), then Fran gets the "down year" free pass. As of now...2 NCAA tourney wins in two years is his peak.

Fair enough. I would say 3 tourneys in a row in a program that has accomplished that once in its history is pretty good and also gets Fran some time to work this out.

Fair enough. I would say 3 tourneys in a row in a program that has accomplished that once in its history is pretty good and also gets Fran some time to work this out.

Perhaps. I guess some programs consider making the tourney success...others consider winning it success. (or at least going deep)
So, give him 3 years to build with this core group. And then what? Are 2 or 3 more NCAA wins enough? I'd suggest not. That's 10 years with not much to show for it.
Time will tell.

Oklahoma's senior PG Woodard missed 4 games (all losses).

I didn't say significant injuries, but Iowa's leading scorer is clearly not healthy and not 100%. Tyler Cook missed games, and there have been some nagging things (Uhl, Pemsl, Bohannon) that haven't helped. It's not the reason they have struggled, but it hasn't helped. When healthy (or relatively so), this team beat ISU, Michigan, and Purdue at home. Not awesome, but not bad.

Jok was healthy when we had all those bad losses

Perhaps. I guess some programs consider making the tourney success...others consider winning it success. (or at least going deep)
So, give him 3 years to build with this core group. And then what? Are 2 or 3 more NCAA wins enough? I'd suggest not. Time will tell.

I think context matters as well. If Fran replaced Tom Davis, folks would say he has not improved things. Since he replaced Lickliter, it looks like he has taken the program forward.

I think 3 years with this group (including recruits) is fair. No ten year extensions! :)

I think context matters as well. If Fran replaced Tom Davis, folks would say he has not improved things. Since he replaced Lickliter, it looks like he has taken the program forward.

I think 3 years with this group (including recruits) is fair. No ten year extensions! :)

Thanks for the closing chuckle. Though part of me suspects it could happen...

Jok was healthy when we had all those bad losses

Cook didn't play vs. UNO. Health wasn't an issue vs Memphis (team didn't play well).

Again, Oklahoma lost to UNI while Woodard was healthy. Michigan State lost to Northeastern.

Cook didn't play vs. UNO. Health wasn't an issue vs Memphis (team didn't play well).

Again, Oklahoma lost to UNI while Woodard was healthy. Michigan State lost to Northeastern.

Oklahoma and Michigan State are better than us too

Are they better than us?

I believe the question was whether this team was back to the Lickliter years (see thread title). That would be no, in my opinion. Also, I don't believe I ever said they were not better than us.

Now, will you answer my question - are those 2 teams (MSU and OK) struggling with veteran coaches who have been at the schools for a while?

Latest posts