B1G looking at Friday night games

Unless you have children or relatives playing in HS football, who cares. Bring on more football. This will be a cash cow for BTN.

If you are not ahead of these things, someone else will reap the benefits.

The NFL will have Thursdays (CBS is going to destroy ESPN college game), BTN on Fridays, all CFB on Saturdays, and back to NFL on Sunday & Monday.

This is such a stupid idea it doesn't even pass the smell test.

1. As said above parents and kids are going to high school games. When high school ball is over it is later in the year and cold in big 10 country.

2. Friday nite at 7 pm or 6 pm does not give people time to leave work, get to the game, have some tailgating fun for the football game experience, so many people would have to take vacation time or whatever.

3. Friday nite would not compare to going to a saturday 11 am or 2:30 pm kickoff, beautiful day and weather, devote the whole day to your team, the late saturday PM and nite drive home.

4. Friday nite football bumps into what is usually "pick up" night at the local drinking places, yeah I am old but I still remember what friday nite was for.

5. I always like to leave Kinnick after a 11 AM start time and go with family or friends to a good eatery around Iowa City and watch some 2:30 games while having a nice meal.

What other good reasons are there that this is a bad idea.

I hope the B10 takes your meal plans into consideration.

I haven't been to a high school football game in years, and don't exactly have any plans to go anytime soon. I say bring it on.

It's not gonna be all the teams every week; but perhaps give the less exposed schools a chance at exposure. Think Indiana/Maryland/Rutgers/Minny/Purdue/etc. You don't have to worry, it won't be Nebby vs PSU, OSU vs Mich, etc. I say bring it on.

This is prime time viewing for B1G teams. I say bring it on!!

Think of taking a day off from work, taking a Friday Funday/drinking all day and watching some football in Kinnick. Then getting up the next morning and watching all sorts of football on Saturday. I SAY BRING IT ONNNNNN!!!

Pull the trigger Delany!

This should never happen for conference games, period. Now, in non-conference, MSU and IU have played on Thursday and Friday nites going into Labor Day Weekend....no big deal. Other non-conference games? maybe, but please not at Iowa.

In the early weekends of the season, there will be 14 separate Big Ten games....that is too many for any Big Ten football fan to catch on TV as many will be concurrent. I am ok with spreading them out more in Sept, but once the league slate kicks in...no.

This should never happen for conference games, period. Now, in non-conference, MSU and IU have played on Thursday and Friday nites going into Labor Day Weekend....no big deal. Other non-conference games? maybe, but please not at Iowa.

In the early weekends of the season, there will be 14 separate Big Ten games....that is too many for any Big Ten football fan to catch on TV as many will be concurrent. I am ok with spreading them out more in Sept, but once the league slate kicks in...no.

I was just thinking the same thing about non con games. There is a potential of 14 games on BTN on Saturday should none of the networks pick a game. Now, the chances of that happening are slim, as usually at least 2, mostly three teams will be picked by ESPN. This would give additional exposure to a B1G Game of the week type thing where the best of the games not picked up would be on in Prime Time.

But the old school part of me says don't mess with HS FB. It is the farm system, or pipeline for college. And with the numbers of kids playing FB dwindling as is, do we want to possibly accelerate that trend?

Friday nights are reserved for Boise, Fresno St and BYU. At least thats who always seems to be on when I get back from a high school game.

People just can't keep their freakin' paws off of a good thing. good god. Stop screwing with a great product.

I think this idea DOES come from the same genius who came up with Legends and Leaders. Word is, it's the same guy that had the idea for "New" Coke.

Keep thinking. Those who suddenly got TV exposure got it big. It makes sense to take advantage of that time slot if the viewership is there - no reason to leave it for conf usa. Let them play at noon on ESPN2. I suspect Friday night is a better time slot.

All that said, I prefer Saturday.

The Big Ten doesn't need the Friday/Thursday exposure. This is an awful idea that should be beneath a conference like the Big Ten.

Only crap programs who otherwise aren't able to get a game on national tv would play on friday nights. **** programs like Iowa State do that. If Iowa stooped to that level I'd be very disappointed.

Sorry but Big 10 football is borderline unwatchable. Burying some games might just be a favor to us all.

Unless you have children or relatives playing in HS football, who cares. Bring on more football. This will be a cash cow for BTN.

If you are not ahead of these things, someone else will reap the benefits.

The NFL will have Thursdays (CBS is going to destroy ESPN college game), BTN on Fridays, all CFB on Saturdays, and back to NFL on Sunday & Monday.

Only if the NFL beefs up its Turdsday lineup. The slate of games this year were awful.

I would take Friday night games over 11am Saturday. As some others have said, unless your kid or relative has some tie to the high school, who cares?

Looking at this from a tv network perspective. Starting in 2014, with 14 teams total, the big ten will have 5-7 conference games to broadcast every weekend. That's 2-3 on ABC/ESPN and the rest on BTN. Some weekends there may be as many as 5 games for BTN to broadcast. Why not move 1 of the games to friday which will make more tv money for the big ten. Screw the fans that actually attend the games and screw the high schools. Its all about tv money now.

I’m OK with it.

A team like Iowa might might want to play Northern Iowa on a week night to start out the season or better yet Northern Illinois at Soldier Field, and get Big Ten Network coverage they wouldn’t otherwise get. Go for it. OOC games that otherwise wouldn’t be televised or would otherwise receive little attention, might be in play especially early in the season. On the other hand, if a team is in the hunt for a conference title they are going to want to be careful not to shoot themselves in the foot messing about with the schedule.

From the perspective of the Big Ten Network it’s a chance to work a little more football into the schedule. I could see the Illinois vs. Northwestern, Maryland vs. Rutgers, or Indiana vs. Purdue as annual weeknight features that would garner more attention without the competition.

High school football culture is big some places and not so much other places. The urban NE Coast couldn’t care less about high school football unless their kid plays.

I’m OK with it.

A team like Iowa might might want to play Northern Iowa on a week night to start out the season or better yet Northern Illinois at Soldier Field, and get Big Ten Network coverage they wouldn’t otherwise get. Go for it. OOC games that otherwise wouldn’t be televised or would otherwise receive little attention, might be in play especially early in the season. On the other hand, if a team is in the hunt for a conference title they are going to want to be careful not to shoot themselves in the foot messing about with the schedule.

From the perspective of the Big Ten Network it’s a chance to work a little more football into the schedule. I could see the Illinois vs. Northwestern, Maryland vs. Rutgers, or Indiana vs. Purdue as annual weeknight features that would garner more attention without the competition.

High school football culture is big some places and not so much other places. The urban NE Coast couldn’t care less about high school football unless their kid plays.

Illinois-NU and Indy-Purdue are rivals weekend games (maybe Rutgers-MD will be, too) and the B10 has a written or unwritten rule of no November night games, so I don't think this is feasible. I think it would really only work in September for bad OOC games and frankly, I think it should be limited to teams that have material attendance problems, like Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, maybe the two new teams, etc. You simply can't manage getting that crowd into IC, the Big House, the Shoe or Camp Randall on regular business days.

Friday is for high schools
Saturday is for college
Sunday is for pro

It should not be any different

I'm actually okay with a crappy Iowa game on Friday night. That way I can get the depressing Iowa loss over with on Friday and move on to the exciting Saturday games. I love Iowa, but I'm also a huge fan of college football as a whole. This week I would have loved for Iowa to play penn state on Friday night, so I could watch the Alabama/LSU game Saturday night.

Latest posts