B1G looking at Friday night games

Schools have some say in kickoff times but I think something like this would be different. If the TV contract says each school will have one then Kirk can cry until he is blue in the face.

But Harbaugh and Michigan don't have to abide by this rule so why should any other coach.

If TV money dwarfs ticket revenue in importance, it could happen.

Like the BIGTEN needs more TV money? Not at the risk of hurting the product.

Those empty seats on those Friday night telecasts will be great promotion for the conference.

I realize its a totally different argument, but in terms of empty seats would it be any different than an early/late start to a college basketball game in terms of attendance?

I realize its a totally different argument, but in terms of empty seats would it be any different than an early/late start to a college basketball game in terms of attendance?

Yes, No and back to big Yes. :)

Y-It is different
N-in that sense it's similar
Y- Ultimately it's very different as it's standard fare for BBall games to be played on a variety of different days at various times of the season...there are so many more of them (a soft crowd once or twice is no big deal...hell it's practically expected during cupcake time)...and logistically it's a bit easier to "shift" around 15,000 fans than 70,000

Messing with football..which is the cash cow, is a much more risky proposition. I think this is a mistake. Even worse if you do it with some teams, but not others. It's a de-facto admission that WITHIN the conference you have two tiers. Not good for the brand.

Why is Michigan able to opt out and why do Ohio State and Penn State not have to use a home game because their stadiums are bigger. It seems like the Big 10 network wants to push the "lesser" schools out of the Saturday showcase for the favorite teams. The Big 10 network doesn't fill it's Saturday time slots with football. I get to see women's volleyball constantly. If schools want to play on Friday night, fine. I just don't want Iowa to be forced to play football on Friday when other schools don't have to. I like the tradition of playing college football on Saturdays. Our Friday game with Nebby still feels a little strange.

No way would season ticket holders (i.e. donors) put up with losing a home game essentially. People that drive in from out of town would not drive in for a Friday night game. And we have good time slots already. Leave the "off days" for MAC & SunBelt teams; and ISU.

Yes, No and back to big Yes. :)

Y-It is different
N-in that sense it's similar
Y- Ultimately it's very different as it's standard fare for BBall games to be played on a variety of different days at various times of the season...there are so many more of them (a soft crowd once or twice is no big deal...hell it's practically expected during cupcake time)...and logistically it's a bit easier to "shift" around 15,000 fans than 70,000

Messing with football..which is the cash cow, is a much more risky proposition. I think this is a mistake. Even worse if you do it with some teams, but not others. It's a de-facto admission that WITHIN the conference you have two tiers. Not good for the brand.

Valid points on the basketball vs football that I didn't think about. I totally agree on the branding however. Any time you get a program like Michigan that becomes bigger than the conference its never a good thing. That said, I wonder where Michigan would have stood on this issue prior to golden boys arrival, when they were struggling and had very little leverage.

Wonder what Harbaugh's and Michigans stance will be when a team has an extra day of prep time prior to their game. In the same breath, it would be unfair for all schools to have to go through a shortened week with the exception of Michigan.

I don't like it. I wonder just how much more $ they think they'll rake in having 1 game on Fridays. I don't think they should start doing it till all the HS seasons are over. For crying out loud if college football is to be about the kids at all then there's no logic in this whatsoever. For recruiting purposes the kids and coaches can't like it. It's just a pure cash grab. Now I wouldn't mind watching Friday night football on tv as I will watch some when others are on. So in part I'm a part of the why this is happening. But I sure prefer Saturdays there's no doubt about it.

Latest posts