At what point has Kirk seen enough to give the keys back to O'Keefe

OSU is a road game, are the prices in the Horseshoe dropping? If so, I'm surprised Buckeye fans aren't scooping them up.
Yep. There was nothing under $175 at the beginning of the season and that was for shit seats. Like I said the ones my co-worker bought for $300 he can't sell now for $75.

I'm guessing a lot of it is Iowa fans who got sucked into the hype and bought a bunch of tickets are cancelling their plans and dumping their tickets on StubHub.

I was definitely surprised to see so few Iowa fans when the TV cameras panned the stadium. It seems that fan apathy has already set in.
The Hawk fans (including me) were pretty quiet late in the first on. Surprised me as the Illini fans were taking quite a bit of crap from Iowa fans on the way in.

That stadium has to be about the worst place to play due to wind especially on kicks.

The game was decided by the Illini receivers making about 3 spectacular catches. Iowa's outside of the TE just can't do that. And he's a tight end. As I said before, Petras made some fantastic throws (of course also the bad ones), some of which were dropped. When he's on target the only QB that comes to mind at Iowa that could do some of the good throws was Vlasic. Such a paradox.

Illinois had a very capable back up with experience.

Brett actually has his guys being quite personable which has been missing in recent years.

Memorial Stadium isn't a bad facility now. Actually pretty good. They plan to redo the horseshoe and get fans closer to the field and expand seating. They need more wins to get the fans back though.

The Hawk fans (including me) were pretty quiet late in the first on. Surprised me as the Illini fans were taking quite a bit of crap from Iowa fans on the way in.

That stadium has to be about the worst place to play due to wind especially on kicks.

The game was decided by the Illini receivers making about 3 spectacular catches. Iowa's outside of the TE just can't do that. And he's a tight end. As I said before, Petras made some fantastic throws (of course also the bad ones), some of which were dropped. When he's on target the only QB that comes to mind at Iowa that could do some of the good throws was Vlasic. Such a paradox.

Illinois had a very capable back up with experience.

Brett actually has his guys being quite personable which has been missing in recent years.

Memorial Stadium isn't a bad facility now. Actually pretty good. They plan to redo the horseshoe and get fans closer to the field and expand seating. They need more wins to get the fans back though.

Wrong. The game was won by Illinois having 200 yrds rushing, which plays into TOP and field position. This also plays into complimentary football with getting the defense off the field for a breather.

The running game difference was the difference. Iowa has no running game.

Last edited:
Wrong. The game was won by Illinois having 200 yrds rushing, which plays into TOP and field position. This also plays into complimentary football with getting the defense off the field for a breather.

The running game difference was the difference. Iowa has not running game.

On the reverse Lachey didn't even seem to know the play was called and was seemingly running a route away from where the ball was going to go, leaving 90 unblocked. The guy who made the tackle came from the left side backfield and was never touched by the receiver and that defender never bought the fake.

We are seeing failure on football basics, a sign that someone isn't teaching the finer points (in other words...doesn't have a clue)

Last edited:

The running game difference was the difference. Iowa has not running game.
On the interception late, Williams did a poor job of blocking and releasing. Again poor coaching. Mason Richman was terrible at blocking on that play as well.

It's a zoo on the O

Nothing about this game was on the D.

Yep. There was nothing under $175 at the beginning of the season and that was for shit seats. Like I said the ones my co-worker bought for $300 he can't sell now for $75.

I'm guessing a lot of it is Iowa fans who got sucked into the hype and bought a bunch of tickets are cancelling their plans and dumping their tickets on StubHub.

Hotel rooms for the next game weekend are $250 cheaper than they were for Nevada (Family Weekend).
And are available.

Hotel rooms for the next game weekend are $250 cheaper than they were for Nevada (Family Weekend).
And are available.
I’d never stay in the same city as a game but I get your point. Demand has tanked.

We drive an hour to a hotel after games (or stay an hour away if we come down the night before). An hour drive is well worth the $200 ish difference in price.

On the reverse Lachey didn't even seem to know the play was called and was seemingly running a route away from where the ball was going to go, leaving 90 unblocked. The guy who made the tackle came from the left side backfield and was never touched by the receiver and that receiver never bought the fake.

We are seeing failure on football basics, a sign that someone isn't teaching the finer points (in other words...doesn't have a clue)

Correct, these are kind of the breakdowns we are not used to seeing from KF coached teams.

Correct, these are kind of the breakdowns we are not used to seeing from KF coached teams.
So what is your interpretation of the issues? Who is at fault? KF isn't that blind. This group of players can't be that low in football IQ. Is someone being lazy or does someone have a low football IQ? Or just can't related to players? Have O players checked out?

So what is your interpretation of the issues? Who is at fault? KF isn't that blind. This group of players can't be that low in football IQ. Is someone being lazy or does someone have a low football IQ? Or just can't related to players? Have O players checked out?

I've thought about that and I think it's a combination of a few things. I can admit that Brian is probably not the best as an OC and was a bad decision. I think KF's style has ran its course finally. I also admit that maybe Iowa should evolve to a more current offensive gameplan/style. In the past, I've always stated they run a complex NFL style. We have always heard coaches and opposing players describe playing Iowa as "We know what they are going to do". "They are so well coached and prepared and do what they do well". Well, we used to take that as a compliment, but, I think over time teams really do have an advantage on defense now as Iowa has been doing it for decades. It's not a compliment anymore, it's a liability. Now they are reading the snap counts and defenders are always in positions it seems.

I just think Iowa is "Type-cast" at this point. Unfortunately, this is what KF is comfortable with and likes to coach. I think you now throw the portal and NIL into the equation affection recruiting and player attrition and that is an issue. Iowa was always a developmental program where they put time into players. Now, there is free agency in college for the most part. Is Iowa going to have the time it needs to develop players or will the players leave always affecting Iowa's depth and leaving holes at certain positions.

If KF wants to continue to lead this team and program, I think he needs to do what John Beilein did at Michigan in basketball. Michigan was struggling horribly at defense for a couple years and it was holding the team back. John found a defensive coach and completely gave him the keys to the defense and he got the hell out of it and let the coach do his thing. I think that is what KF needs to do. Find a proven or up and coming coach and hand him the keys and stay the hell out of it. Obviously, he needs to have some part or say for complimentary football for the defense, but stay out of the design and playcalling and let the OC do what they are good at. I think this is the solution and only way for KF at Iowa.

I've thought about that and I think it's a combination of a few things. I can admit that Brian is probably not the best as an OC and was a bad decision. I think KF's style has ran its course finally. I also admit that maybe Iowa should evolve to a more current offensive gameplan/style. In the past, I've always stated they run a complex NFL style. We have always heard coaches and opposing players describe playing Iowa as "We know what they are going to do". "They are so well coached and prepared and do what they do well". Well, we used to take that as a compliment, but, I think over time teams really do have an advantage on defense now as Iowa has been doing it for decades. It's not a compliment anymore, it's a liability. Now they are reading the snap counts and defenders are always in positions it seems.

I just think Iowa is "Type-cast" at this point. Unfortunately, this is what KF is comfortable with and likes to coach. I think you now throw the portal and NIL into the equation affection recruiting and player attrition and that is an issue. Iowa was always a developmental program where they put time into players. Now, there is free agency in college for the most part. Is Iowa going to have the time it needs to develop players or will the players leave always affecting Iowa's depth and leaving holes at certain positions.

If KF wants to continue to lead this team and program, I think he needs to do what John Beilein did at Michigan in basketball. Michigan was struggling horribly at defense for a couple years and it was holding the team back. John found a defensive coach and completely gave him the keys to the defense and he got the hell out of it and let the coach do his thing. I think that is what KF needs to do. Find a proven or up and coming coach and hand him the keys and stay the hell out of it. Obviously, he needs to have some part or say for complimentary football for the defense, but stay out of the design and playcalling and let the OC do what they are good at. I think this is the solution and only way for KF at Iowa.
Agree...with most. Except you sort of state it is about other teams knowing Iowa, but when looking at the replays I would say that Iowa on the O with blocking really doesn't know what it is doing. I don't have an issue with the style, mostly. Except the conservative play leads to players at times getting blown up like CJ and A Rob for starters. Thx for the thoughtful response.

It was there last year. In 15 though a lot of the success was directly on CJ, it didn't seem like Iowa O couldn't do it but were just not unpredictable and explosive. Seems we've progressively devolved. Fundamentals just lacking.

Agree...with most. Except you sort of state it is about other teams knowing Iowa, but when looking at the replays I would say that Iowa on the O with blocking really doesn't know what it is doing. I don't have an issue with the style, mostly. Except the conservative play leads to players at times getting blown up like CJ and A Rob for starters. Thx for the thoughtful response.

It was there last year. In 15 though a lot of the success was directly on CJ, it didn't seem like Iowa O couldn't do it but were just not unpredictable and explosive. Seems we've progressively devolved. Fundamentals just lacking.

I don't have a problem with the style either and I think it can work. I think there are enough plays to deceive defenses but they play calling just needs to be less predictable and they need to trust the players and let them play free. Actually, with all the RO and PO offenses out there now, I always wondered if Iowa would have an advantage being so different. But, there are so many coaches that have played against them all these years and there is so much tape on their games that I think teams can scheme against them.

I think KF is a perfectionist to a fault. I don't think college football has to always be absolutely perfect to the point where the players are playing so tight. This especially when you have a defense that can offset many imperfections. When you have a great D, you have the wiggle room to take a few more chances. Iowa's coaches need to realize this and loosen up a bit.

Yea, what I saw is the R side of the line is porous at best. The footwork and lateral quickness of a couple of those linemen is bad and slow. I won't name names to call certain college players out.

Last edited:

Latest posts