Apathy

Going to be a real hard sell going forward. Mid-Level Bowl team at best...and I'm not even real sure about that right now. Disappointing.
The problem is high expectations. We expected more from a 3 year starter with an experienced offensive line. Our offense disappears against good teams. We might feel better if we pummel a bad Purdue team, but that won't change this team's mediocre offensive performance against teams with a pulse. If you had to choose between two words, contender or pretender, to describe Iowa which would you choose? Two more things, Kinnick magic is getting scarse, and nobody is calling Brian a genius.

I understand people tired of same coaching. Brian was serverly under qualified and isn't really growing into position.

But these players chose Iowa over other opportunities. They're frustrated too. There's a lot of potential on this team and I'm sure they'd like support.

How bad did Michigan suck for Martin to give up playing for a Blue Blood to come and sit on the bench for this team??? You’d probably expect UM to be a contender for Big10 next year, even if on name recognition alone

Iowa will be predicted for middle of the West, or even lower with what we lose or could lose

i would still be interested in watching this team if it wasn’t for the offense. As I’ve gotten older i don’t get as emotional over a team losing, but the way we lose AND win is freaking boring.

low scoring, punts, lack of any explosive plays and of course the great clock management

Another great thing is being on the west coast so these shit shows are over before afternoon

How bad did Michigan suck for Martin to give up playing for a Blue Blood to come and sit on the bench for this team??? You’d probably expect UM to be a contender for Big10 next year, even if on name recognition alone

Iowa will be predicted for middle of the West, or even lower with what we lose or could lose

i would still be interested in watching this team if it wasn’t for the offense. As I’ve gotten older i don’t get as emotional over a team losing, but the way we lose AND win is freaking boring.

low scoring, punts, lack of any explosive plays and of course the great clock management

Another great thing is being on the west coast so these shit shows are over before afternoon

Seriously, and I mean no disrespect, but for you and everyone who think that the brand of football Iowa plays is "freaking boring" in both losses and wins should probably find another team to pull for. There are plenty of teams that play uptempo, throw it all over the field, score a bunch of points, etc. Pick anyone from the big 12, that's a good place to start, except ISU, not exciting enough for you there. Of course you could stay in the B1G because OSU looks pretty good, and there is always room on that wagon. Hell, even Bama and LSU have turned up the offense lately and are scoring a lot of points. You have options.

But here are the options you don't have. You cant pull for Wisconsin. They are too boring and while they are scoring points at a record pace and blowing people out, it's still boring to you. Another option you are relinquishing is complaining about defense, cant do it. It goes hand in hand, you want to score points? Then you are going to give them up too. You cant pick and choose and say, I love Oklahoma State's offense but just imagine if they had Iowa's defense, and then jump off their wagon because their defense is "freaking boring." And you can't jump from team to team, even if you want to photoshop your face into a picture at the 2010 Meineke Car Care Bowl (where as an ACC team lost to South Florida) claiming you have been a lifelong Clemson fan. Nobody likes a fair-weather fan.

Oh, I forgot, there is always Nebraska.

Apathy has been the name of the program for the grater part of the last decade.

Like I don't even post on message boards much anymore.. because I've just accepted the mediocrity.
This is exactly why he’s still here and why Brian is next in the congo line

Seriously, and I mean no disrespect, but for you and everyone who think that the brand of football Iowa plays is "freaking boring" in both losses and wins should probably find another team to pull for. There are plenty of teams that play uptempo, throw it all over the field, score a bunch of points, etc. Pick anyone from the big 12, that's a good place to start, except ISU, not exciting enough for you there. Of course you could stay in the B1G because OSU looks pretty good, and there is always room on that wagon. Hell, even Bama and LSU have turned up the offense lately and are scoring a lot of points. You have options.

But here are the options you don't have. You cant pull for Wisconsin. They are too boring and while they are scoring points at a record pace and blowing people out, it's still boring to you. Another option you are relinquishing is complaining about defense, cant do it. It goes hand in hand, you want to score points? Then you are going to give them up too. You cant pick and choose and say, I love Oklahoma State's offense but just imagine if they had Iowa's defense, and then jump off their wagon because their defense is "freaking boring." And you can't jump from team to team, even if you want to photoshop your face into a picture at the 2010 Meineke Car Care Bowl (where as an ACC team lost to South Florida) claiming you have been a lifelong Clemson fan. Nobody likes a fair-weather fan.

Oh, I forgot, there is always Nebraska.
This isn’t the pros. It’s peoples alma maters. It’s the team and school they’ve followed all their lives. For one family to dominate the program with zero accountability is the issue. It’s a career/job for him. We were here long before he was. Why do we need to pick another team? That’s bs. It’s perfectly acceptable to question the highest paid employee in the state. Especially when there is no accountability and all the nepotism. And if you don’t like it...go tell someone else they need to follow another team because it’s not your place to be taking the stand you are currently taking

Going to be a real hard sell going forward. Mid-Level Bowl team at best...and I'm not even real sure about that right now. Disappointing.

Two tough losses haven't thrown me off. The Oline has a hole but this team, overall is close to the ceiling for KF era. And they could be 9-3 - not expecting a win over a top 5 level Wisconsin. But you never know. Upsets happen.

I still think this is a good team and much better that some of the teams from 2013-2018

This isn’t the pros. It’s peoples alma maters. It’s the team and school they’ve followed all their lives. For one family to dominate the program with zero accountability is the issue. It’s a career/job for him. We were here long before he was. Why do we need to pick another team? That’s bs. It’s perfectly acceptable to question the highest paid employee in the state. Especially when there is no accountability and all the nepotism. And if you don’t like it...go tell someone else they need to follow another team because it’s not your place to be taking the stand you are currently taking

Both OPINIONS are valid.

Iowa went from 6-1 to 6-4 last year, but did not fold. They finished 9-4 with a victory in the Outback Bowl.

This team will be fine. They will be favored in every game except Wisconsin.

Iowa will finish 9-4 again, with a victory in the Holiday Bowl, and will have players leave early for the NFL again!

It's all good. Iowa is not a great team, but Iowa is a good team

God...people here on this board are depressing. We got beat by Michigan on the road and a top ten Penn State team. It's not the end of the world. We have issues on the OL...that's why we lost. KF's teams keep getting better. This team, outside of Wisconsin, could run the table...and be fun to watch. Take your meds and enjoy.

We had some injuries at the same position...guard...and our 5th year seniors haven't come through. That's really a tough thing to come to grips with. I always wondered why a young Banwart was playing last year...Kallenberger was playing...well...the coaching staff knows what they are doing...Banwart and Schott going down really killed us. Now you are going to see Kallenberger and a true freshman...Britt at the guard position. I hope they can can handle it.

It bodes well for the future at least.

This board is full of.....
maxresdefault.jpg

When Miller still posted on here he once said the worst thing for business is apathy. It’s why you get so much content with positivity when the team sucks.

I have one for sale, but I would not want to sit with an asshole.
We just got tickets for my son's birthday and as part of our wedding anniversary.

Wisconsin vs Ohio State.

In the big shoe. A week from Saturday.

We will soon find out what Wisconsin is made of. I think plenty. I'm predicting that Bucky goes in there and rolls them.

My wife and kids, of course, are Badger fans. It's part of living in a house divided. She promises that our next sports splurge will be an Iowa bowl game, which I've yet to experience in person.

We're not talking sexual preference here. Being a fan of a school is still a choice. Just because a school is your alma mater doesn't mean you have to cheer for them. My nephew is an Iowa football fan and an Iowa St basketball fan. He has an engineering degree from Iowa St. You can follow and cheer for whatever team you want. If you don't like what's going on in Iowa City, then go watch a different game or go clean out the garage or rake the leaves on Saturday afternoons, the choice is yours.

It is absolutely my place, because I have been a lifelong Hawkeye fan too. My issue is not with questioning of the coaches or the gameplan or the play calls, etc. My issue is when a fan says that they are apathetic with the way we play, whether we win or lose, so much so that your team wins, and it is still not good enough because they didn't score enough points and were "freaking boring." My response to that is that it is what it is, and it has always been this way, as long as anyone on this board has been alive. Iowa football has an identity, and it was the same during Hayden's years as it is Kirk's (it definitely was boring before Hayden). That identity is to play great defense, be physical on both sides of the ball, be balanced on offense, play great special teams, protect the ball and out work our opponent, all while playing the game the right way, within the rules, and being respectful win or lose and of the game. That is not just Iowa football, that is Iowa. That is why that ethic, that mindset, is so entrenched with those who were born into it. But not every team has the same identity as there are a lot of ways to build a program. We have seen some build programs based off of talent at all cost, and they can win that way. For a while. SMU was fun to watch for a couple years, USC was fun to watch for a few years, and of course Nebraska wasnt fun to watch but they won games. Some teams dont value balance, they play no defense and want to out-score the opponent. Oklahoma State scores a lot of points, but gives up a lot too. So does Oklahoma, or Washington State. Some teams even cheat and have little respect for their opponent or the game as the only goal is to win. Miami in the 80's was pretty fun to watch too. But you know what, none of those reflect Iowa and what the state really is.

Right now we are not the most physical team against all of our competition. Right now our special teams is average, and right now we aren't very balanced because we can't run the ball effectively both because of a lack of a great back and weaknesses on the offensive line. Overall, if you look at our roster and grade our players into 3 categories; elite talent, average, and not FBS material, we have no elite talent on offense with a couple positions that would border on not FBS material and everyone else average. If you look at Wisconsin right now, a team that if you switched their jersey's to Iowa's that not one single person would have anything negative to say or would be apathetic, are basically Iowa without the weaknesses on offensive line and a generational elite talent at running back as well as a quarterback that can run. Thats it. They are the same type of team, same philosophy and identity. Guess how they got theirs? From us. That is the way it is right now, maybe this entire season. And we just lost to two teams that we were predicted to lose to, that on paper were much more talented that have far great resources than us, but we played hard to the end and didn't give up. I don't see how you can be apathetic about that.

It's boring when you don't score a lot of points and lose. It's fun when you win, even if you're not scoring a lot of points in doing so. That's human nature.

It's boring when you don't score a lot of points and lose. It's fun when you win, even if you're not scoring a lot of points in doing so. That's human nature.

I completely agree SteveGarvey, I would be ecstatic over a 2-0 Iowa win. For me personally, I would like that game better than a 51-49 shootout, but that is just me.

You just nailed it. Michigan thinks they contend for the B1G title based on name recognition, or because they're Michigan.

That's why they get their butt kicked by OSU every year. That's why they've fallen to third, or even fourth best, team in the East. That's why they've never been to Indy. That's why they lose to Iowa and Wisconsin. That's why Harbaugh takes some unnecessary grief.

Latest posts