Anyone NOT Want To See Ferentz Go? If So .....

MelroseHawkins

...... man up now and state why. We've heard the negative and from those wanting change. What about reasons why you think we should stay the course. I'd be interested.

I DON'T want him to stay but there is no doubt that IA has been an NFL factory since his arrival. I wish he could remain the head coach, if only in title, and keep building up the players or whatever he does to make walk ons turn into 1st round draft choices but he needs to stay FAR FAR away from the football field on gameday and make zero personel decisions.
In only this capacity, i would like to see him stay.
If he has nothing to do w/ player development and this is a function of some other group of coaches...good riddence.

I don't necessarily want to see him leave the university or football program but after a lot of thought I think it may be time for him to move on from the head coach position. It is my belief that there are a lot of things he does that are great for the university and the state and generally speaking I think he and his wife are great human beings. I do think the game has passed him by and his recent inability to surround himself with good people in crucial positions within his coaching staff has really shown through.

Kirk has been the way he is for a long time and the main difference when we were very successful was the staff he had around him. Once some of those key coaches left he has not done a good job at picking replacements and has been too stubborn to make the changes.

...... man up now and state why. We've heard the negative and from those wanting change. What about reasons why you think we should stay the course. I'd be interested.

1) He runs a clean program. yes, there have been run-ins with the law, but mostly alcohol related, which is pretty standard for that age group of young men. There were a couple of MUCH worse incidents, but less, (IMHO) than most any other Power 5 conference team over the last 16 years. Iowa City police have .... hmmm, I will just leave it alone.

2) He is a winner.

3) We have a winning program. We do not win every game, but we have a winning program that gets to bowl games

4) Kirk, and the program have INTEGRITY. Many do not. They will sell their soul and cheat to win. See the SEC.

5) we play TOUGH, hard-nosed, physical football. If we wanted to play Chip Kelley style football, we simply cannot recruit to that level here in Iowa. Kirk recruits to a certain brand of football. That brand of football had the kind of kids we can recruit here in mind from day 1. Mr. Davis Osborne knew he could not consistantly bring in the elite skill position players, so he built those Nebraska teams around toughness in the trenches and running the football.

Can you find reasons to let him go? Sure. Be careful what you wish for...

We simply need a new/different Offensive Coordinator who believes in the VERTICAL passing game, running the ball and taking advantage of the excellent TEs we always have here.

And someone to explain to KIRK how the management of the closck at the end of halves and games shuold be handled. Goodness.

I still have a problem with the idea of Capt Kirk getting fired. For those who were around IC between 2001-2004, the man still has to have an aura about him. He was a God among men at the time. And while all gods must eventually fall, I'd rather see Kirk have enough sense and dignity to resign now rather than ride the ship all the way down.

When it's all over, Kirk should hold a similar place of respect and honor as Fry. He still has that chance, but without either a major turnaround or a resignation very soon, he's going to lose what he hasn't already lost.

WTF??
Of course 7 wins isn't where Iowa wants to be and this year really
sucked.
That being said, I don't want to be ANYTHING like Nebraska, so
I don't give a rat's patooey if they fired Pelini.
If anyone here suggesting a change now, had ANY clue, who we would get,
Steve Alford? perhaps I'd listen. But, as of right now, it's all just noise and bluster.

WTF??
Of course 7 wins isn't where Iowa wants to be and this year really
sucked.
That being said, I don't want to be ANYTHING like Nebraska, so
I don't give a rat's patooey if they fired Pelini.
If anyone here suggesting a change now, had ANY clue, who we would get,
Steve Alford? perhaps I'd listen. But, as of right now, it's all just noise and bluster.

We are nothing like kNU, at this time. They're doing something about what they feel has been an under achieving coach. Iowa isn't. The scariest part is that Iowa's administration probably doesn't even realize kfootball has an average program.

Regarding your statements about who Iowa could get to replace kfootball, you simply can't know the unknown. But I'd bet Bielema would come to Iowa and he could take the current players on this roster and win, right away. Further, he was what our coach doesn't have: success in recruiting and playing multiple RB's, and he'll play them as freshmen. He also has a reputation of stepping on your throat and not apologizing for it.

I really wish for the program that KF was able to hold up his end of the contract and live up to it. We had an opportunity 2010 to take the program up a noch and failed. Other BIG programs have blown past him.. I wish KF much success,but he has lost it and its gone gone gone Wooooo ooo.

1) He runs a clean program. yes, there have been run-ins with the law, but mostly alcohol related, which is pretty standard for that age group of young men. There were a couple of MUCH worse incidents, but less, (IMHO) than most any other Power 5 conference team over the last 16 years. Iowa City police have .... hmmm, I will just leave it alone.

2) He is a winner.

3) We have a winning program. We do not win every game, but we have a winning program that gets to bowl games

4) Kirk, and the program have INTEGRITY. Many do not. They will sell their soul and cheat to win. See the SEC.

5) we play TOUGH, hard-nosed, physical football. If we wanted to play Chip Kelley style football, we simply cannot recruit to that level here in Iowa. Kirk recruits to a certain brand of football. That brand of football had the kind of kids we can recruit here in mind from day 1. Mr. Davis Osborne knew he could not consistantly bring in the elite skill position players, so he built those Nebraska teams around toughness in the trenches and running the football.

We simply need a new/different Offensive Coordinator who believes in the VERTICAL passing game, running the ball and taking advantage of the excellent TEs we always have here.

And someone to explain to KIRK how the management of the closck at the end of halves and games shuold be handled. Goodness.

I think you may have opinions that are based to much in the past.

For instance, were just not that physical of a team anymore. Certainly nothing even remotely approaching the way it once was.

i would say right now we have the personnel to be much more explosive than we are on offense.

As Jon has been clearly pointing out this program has been nothing but average for 10 years. There really is no risk in cutting ties at this point, any coach could accomplish these results.

kf had his chance to hire a real offensive coordinator 3 years ago. The fact that he screwed it up so badly doesn't deserve another chance.

Remember what happened when we ran Tom Davis out of town.

(I thought I would post this before someone else did.)

I don't want to see him go out like this. I really don't. I'd love for him to have another few laps around the track, right the ship and prepare the place for the next coach...that would be ideal, as I respect him a great deal.

But I think that would require more change from him than I think he has shown to be capable of.

When you're too stubborn/whatever it is, to start you're obviously more talented QB, there's not a good chance you can make the necessary changes.

2) He is a winner.

This post got -5 thumbs down but I think this is the whole issue. Either KF and Greg Davis need to open it up downfield or they need to get out of the way. We really arent seeing pro style football here. Either a new OC or change to more attacking down the field passing attack which opens up running lanes.

On defense I say Phil Parker needs to upgrade the safety position because we are losing a ton of jump ball situations.

This post got -5 thumbs down but I think this is the whole issue. Either KF and Greg Davis need to open it up downfield or they need to get out of the way. We really arent seeing pro style football here. Either a new OC or change to more attacking down the field passing attack which opens up running lanes.

On defense I say Phil Parker needs to upgrade the safety position because we are losing a ton of jump ball situations.

When you make self destructive choices like playing Rudock over CJ, to me that speaks to a much bigger issue, even to the point of questioning your mental state.

When you make self destructive choices like playing Rudock over CJ, to me that speaks to a much bigger issue, even to the point of questioning your mental state.

After looking at the whole season I would agree that Rudock regressed or became too conservative in the passing game.

As a season ticket holder I wanted to see CJ at QB for more excitement even though I thought JR did a good job in 2013

If he plays players who give him the best chance to win I'd be fine with him staying on. Sadly he plays not to lose rather playing to win. Playing to win would mean running up the score in inferior opponents so your 2nd string can get action. When was the last time that happened?

I don't want to see him go out like this. I really don't. I'd love for him to have another few laps around the track, right the ship and prepare the place for the next coach...that would be ideal, as I respect him a great deal.

But I think that would require more change from him than I think he has shown to be capable of.

This is my thoughts as well. I will admit I have lost a lot of faith in KF in the last few years.

My hope is that there can be a transition in the next few years. My unrealistic wish is for KF to stay on as a player development and Oline "consultant", two things I still believe he is one of the best.

As you stated in your podcast, long tenured coaches leaving rarely turns out good. The only one I can really remember is Alveraz at Wisky becoming the AD. They had his replacement in line & transitioned Biels in. That was really the smoothest college coaching transition I recall.

I think coaching changes are the single most mishandled part of the college game. It’s generally done to appease those that are most opposed to the current coach, and generally flushes most of what has been accomplished straight down the toilet. Alveraz as Wisconsin AD has probably been the most successful at handling the transitions while keeping the teams assets intact. It doesn’t always work. Tiller tried to transition at Purdue but they couldn’t recruit the quality QB & WR’s required to keep the whole “basketball on turf” thing going. I would hate to pitch the player development program, a defense that is usually good, and the local knowledge gained over the years for some random name from the second tier of coaching ranks. Too many schools fire their coaches with a year or two remaining on their contracts and without a real plan, and it’s almost always a disaster.

Last edited:
I think coaching changes are the single most mishandled part of the college game. It’s generally done to appease those that are most opposed to the current coach, and generally flushes most of what has been accomplished straight down the toilet. Alveraz as Wisconsin AD has probably been the most successful at handing the transitions while keeping the teams assets intact. It doesn’t always work. Tiller tried to transition at Purdue but they couldn’t recruit the quality QB & WR’s required to keep the whole “basketball on turfâ€￾ thing going. I would hate to pitch the player development program, a defense that is usually good, and the local knowledge gained over the years for some random name from the second tier of coaching ranks. Too many schools fire their coaches with a year or two remaining on their contracts and without a real plan, and it’s almost always a disaster.

The program has hit a point of such mediocrity that I really see nothing to lose.

We don't play anybody decent and yet we still lose 5 games a year. We don't have highly rated recruits that will go somewhere else.

Whats the low end a bad hire could realistically do at this program with such an easy schedule most years? Probably pretty close to what KF is already doing.

3 out of our last 5 seasons have been disasters.