Any one else think the QB battle should be reopened after today?

Anyone who thinks this is Rudock's loss needs to reeducate themselves on the game of football.

I think I'll be taking my talents to the basketball boards for a while.
(Insert condescending retort here)

It is tough to criticize Ruddock as a passer when the WR group he throws too gets little to zero separation. Shumpert and Cotton do not scare any DBs yet they played a bunch today.

Banks was on the bench for the reason. THE Brad Banks was ready in 2002. Not in 2001.

To answer the OP I don't think the QB battle should be or will be opened up. KF doesn't make QB changes very easily, takes ALOT..

I got to bite on Miller's comment. Kinda like how Rudock was ready in 2013, Not 2012. Because every said how FAR away Rudock was. :)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone blamed him here.. This was his biggest test today though, and I'd give him an A in the 2nd quarter and a C- for the rest of the game. If you think that's going to get it done for the upcoming gauntlet the rest of the year you're crazy.

Which is why I made this thread.. A QB battle (SHARING REPS in the tOSU game) doesn't mean benching JR.. It means showing us he deserves to be the guy leading this offense the rest of the year.

I got to bite. Kinda like how Rudock was ready in 2013, Not 2012. :)

I don't know that was the case last year. I think Kirk kept him out because of the complete and total cluster that was the offense and nothing could have overcome it and they didn't want bad experience to cloud his future

MY grades aren't as kind for the secondary and special teams btw but that doesn't mean this isn't worth discussing =p

I don't know that was the case last year. I think Kirk kept him out because of the complete and total cluster that was the offense and nothing could have overcome it and they didn't want bad experience to cloud his future

I've said a few times that he probably would of developed awful habits playing with last years offense it was that bad all around.

Rudock started slow...just like Drew Tate did just about every single week in 2004 and Ricky Stanzi for his first year and a half. No, I don't think about a change at QB.

So comparing rudock to chandler is bad but to Tate is ok?
Vandenberg is the better comparison

I thought the receivers played worse than Rudock.
That's both WR and TE. Why isn't CJ catching more than 5 passes/game.

I thought the receivers played worse than Rudock.
That's both WR and TE. Why isn't CJ catching more than 5 passes/game.

I have noticed a lot of blanket or double coverage on cjf (lots of 1 guy under him and 1 guy over him). And a lot of single coverage on the outside. Obviously teams fear his matchup problems and don't fear our speed on the outside.

I have noticed a lot of blanket or double coverage on cjf (lots of 1 guy under him and 1 guy over him). And a lot of single coverage on the outside. Obviously teams fear his matchup problems and don't fear our speed on the outside.

Good point. Then the issue is that the one-on-one WR-DB matchups are rarely in our favor.

Offensively, everything has been covered. But offensively, it just looks like there was no plan if MSU took away the run. The offense looked lost, flat, and completely intimidated. The second pick Jake threw looked like "hey, we have no idea how to move the ball so let's throw this up for grabs and hope for the best'. Maybe we just don't have any talent offensively to compete, but I point my finger straight at an offensive staff that rarely finds ways to take advantage of either Iowa's strengths or the opponent's weaknesses. Great offensive coordinators can find ways to put players in positions to move the ball. To me, that was the biggest issue today.

Doesn't matter what year it is or who is involved. Kirk wouldn't take out his first team QB even if his throwing arm got cut off. He'd still feel leaving him in to throw with his other arm was our best chance to win.

The defense and the offensive line were an embarrassment today. Hopefully they got their eyes opened up. Looked like 2 groups that listened to everyone tell them how good they are for a week. Those 2 groups got it taken to them. Jake rudock is the least of my concerns.

the question should be "could any QB win a game single handed with a average offensive line, no running game, and a weak receiving corps?"

Transplant (insert name of a pro bowl QB here) on this Iowa team and I'm not sure how many more wins iowa has this year, 1 or 2 more then they'd get with any current QB on the roster. No run = no win for Iowa.

Offensively, everything has been covered. But offensively, it just looks like there was no plan if MSU took away the run. The offense looked lost, flat, and completely intimidated. The second pick Jake threw looked like "hey, we have no idea how to move the ball so let's throw this up for grabs and hope for the best'. Maybe we just don't have any talent offensively to compete, but I point my finger straight at an offensive staff that rarely finds ways to take advantage of either Iowa's strengths or the opponent's weaknesses. Great offensive coordinators can find ways to put players in positions to move the ball. To me, that was the biggest issue today.

Yep, I officially gave up on G. Davis today.

Latest posts