Another possible walk-on

KJ22

Got this off of HI.com on the free board. The article is from the Daily Iowan. Interesting that Cole has taken this kid under his wing. If nothing else, I like that Coach Fran is going to have walk-on tryouts. If nothing else, we'll be able to play 5-on-5 in practice! When was the last time we've been able to do that?! The buzz around the program is definitely returning which can only be good.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010...orts/17148.html

Got this off of HI.com on the free board. The article is from the Daily Iowan. Interesting that Cole has taken this kid under his wing. If nothing else, I like that Coach Fran is going to have walk-on tryouts. If nothing else, we'll be able to play 5-on-5 in practice! When was the last time we've been able to do that?! The buzz around the program is definitely returning which can only be good.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010...orts/17148.html
Link didnt work,
Intramural hoopster: Future Darryl Moore? - The Daily Iowan
A very good article, and he has a great attitude and sounds like he is a hard worker. Wouldnt hurt seeing him as a walk-on.

Last edited:
What is interesting is that Coach Fran seems to be comfortable exploring all options when it comes to players.

This would be very cool if it worked out.

the ? is why not explore options in the past. recruiting at intramural events if you had too

We have nothing to lose working out all comers.
The kid has guarded an NBA all star(rose) and a 1st team All American(collins), so I suspect he would fear no one in the Big Ten....maybe Iowa's answer to Lewis Jackson of Purdue?

I've seen this kid play and I think he's got potential. I officiate basketball in the winter and I've worked several games in the North Liberty mens rec league in which he played. I don't know if he's got enough to be a productive B10 player but I can tell you in that league which features lots of former collegiate players he dominated. He's very quick off the dribble, he's terrific at controlling his body to avoid charges near the rim, he elevates well, and finishes well. His outside jump shot can be inconsistent but when it's on he's truly unstoppable.

I'll tell you one specific story. We play 20 min running halves up there. Their team was up about 20 with about 7 minuites left. The score was like 60-40. During a dead ball he mentioned hitting 100 points, I looked at him and said something like "what are we playing a 3rd half?". He proceeded to make 7 or 8 consecutive 3's with some dribble drives thrown in the mix. The final score was 104-48. He scored 35 of his teams final 44 points.

I officiate intramurals and I have seen him play. It would be a good edition. He would be a solid back up to play 5-8 minutes per game for resting purposes. This kid is 5'9" and can throw down. Extremely shifty and can definitely take over the game. I am all for this.

I officiate intramurals and I have seen him play. It would be a good edition. He would be a solid back up to play 5-8 minutes per game for resting purposes. This kid is 5'9" and can throw down. Extremely shifty and can definitely take over the game. I am all for this.

2009-2010 was a bad edition of Hawkeye hoops.

A question to the guys that have seen him, can he play defense? If he can play defense and is athletic i could see Fran offering him a walk-on, because those are two things he wants in a player.

Yes he can play defense. His feet are quick and his hands are lightning. If this kid were 6-2 he'd be in the NBA. Actually his game reminds me a lot of Rondo. He plays MUCH MUCH bigger than 5-9. He lead his team in rebounding in the NL rec leage and they had a front line of 6-8 and 6-6.

The comparison between him and John Lickligher is not a fair one. Im not sure about the mental aspect but Dre is light years better physically.

Latest posts