Another in a long line of mediocre QB

If I remember correctly Stanley flat out sucked for his first 2 or 3 games and then threw for like 5 TDs. Good grief it was his first game. He wasn't that bad.

Stanley had 3 TDs in his first game, 5 in his second game, and 2 in his third game.

In their first B1G start

Stanley: 13/22 (59%) 191 yards (8.7 per attempt) 2 TDs, 0 INTs QBR of 72.9 against a top 5 team with a great defense

Petras: 22/29 (56%) 265 yards (6.8 per attempt) 0 TDs, 0 INTs QBR of 53.8 against a bad defensive program

Stanzi and Beathard both started slower in conference play than Petras and Stanley have. And that’s not just their first games.
Agree, not much to really take away from this. KF though doesn't give much real time to back ups though. The future depends on the gut makeup of this team. Beathards was largely ...maybe due to injuries. Stanzi was very risk non-adverse.

Thought the post game interview was interesting. Showed a lot of poise. Was somewhat bothered that he didn't seem phased. Could be good or bad. Wonder if his friendship with Ragaini is an issue or a positive.

The media mostly gave him praise, first start, rust, he didn't lose the game the coaching, turnovers, and penalties did. I was impressed with many of his throws, just couldn't bring them back with all the turnovers and game plan.

Agree, not much to really take away from this. KF though doesn't give much real time to back ups though. The future depends on the gut makeup of this team. Beathards was largely ...maybe due to injuries. Stanzi was very risk non-adverse.

Thought the post game interview was interesting. Showed a lot of poise. Was somewhat bothered that he didn't seem phased. Could be good or bad. Wonder if his friendship with Ragaini is an issue or a positive.
I think the OL and defense in general are bigger issues right now. Secondary got picked apart without their best receiver and a last minute QB, that’s not a good sign if it continues.

10 penalties for 100 yds and 2 lost fumbles are bigger momentum killers than any opposing chunk plays. Those can all be cleaned up.

I haven’t researched it obviously, but when was the last time an Iowa team went 10-100 on penalties?

The media mostly gave him praise, first start, rust, he didn't lose the game the coaching, turnovers, and penalties did. I was impressed with many of his throws, just couldn't bring them back with all the turnovers and game plan.
And 100 penalty yards

I think the OL and defense in general are bigger issues right now. Secondary got picked apart without their best receiver and a last minute QB, that’s not a good sign if it continues.

10 penalties for 100 yds and 2 lost fumbles are bigger momentum killers than any opposing chunk plays. Those can all be cleaned up.

I haven’t researched it obviously, but when was the last time an Iowa team went 10-100 on penalties?

It was insane how often we left Bell open. It was like there was no focus whatsoever to try and take him out of the game.

I don't understand on the TD not matching up with Bell. Bell is arguably the best Big receiver.

Watch these highlights from Purdue. Only once in the highlights was Bell covered. Hawks made a marginal QB look better than he was. Bell knew where to be. The QB knew where he'd be. Throw and catch.

I’m not ready to give up on Petras, he clearly has the skills to be really good. Clean up the penalties and fumbles and we win easy even with his average performance. I saw a team that just wasn’t ready to execute.

I’m not ready to give up on Petras, he clearly has the skills to be really good. Clean up the penalties and fumbles and we win easy even with his average performance. I saw a team that just wasn’t ready to execute.
No need for all that common sense here...

Welp - unlike every other season - this year does not have 3 wins baked in. So instead of 8-4 = 4-4 (at best). Hope the QB learns how to play the position and not keep throwing the ball 90mph for a 5 yard crosser.

I believe it was when we lost to Great Lakes Navy in our first game in 1918.

Iowa needs a non-conference schedule to warm up going into the conference season. What we saw is the result of not having played a couple gimmes to iron things out.