Another in a long line of mediocre QB

And QB performance is on OKeefe. Kirk has said multiple times he doesn’t involve himself in coaching quarterbacks at all.
Shut the hell up. YOU DON'T KNOW THAT. O'Keefe had the kid ready to go, he just isn't a prime time player.

I was pretty drunk by the 4th quarter and passed out shortly after the game ended, but it looked like on that last drive he had guys open and just airmailed it. This looks like a pretty mediocre to possibly bad team.

Ground hog season. Second or third place in the West.............. if we are lucky. Yawn.

Welp - unlike every other season - this year does not have 3 wins baked in. So instead of 8-4 = 4-4 (at best). Hope the QB learns how to play the position and not keep throwing the ball 90mph for a 5 yard crosser.
Lol, yep no weak azz non-conference teams to pad the win loss record. Normally 3-1 at this point and hoping to go 4-1 but Northwestern offense will much better than Purdue and Purdue’s walk-on quarterback.

Did you watch 1st year QB Mertz in the Wisconsin game?
I would say that guys going out in their first B1G starts and excelling are the exception, not the norm. Ricky and CJ didn't exactly come out of the gate looking like Joe Montana and they turned out ok. Need more than one game.

I will say though, if Petras falls flat in the next couple games, this season being basically exhibition games is as good as any to get a QB controversy settled. I wouldn't want that going on next year (assuming there's normal football next fall, who knows)

Do you seriously believe that is the norm for a 1st game????

Dan Persa beat a top 10 Iowa team in his first career start. Easton Slick beat Iowa in his first career start against a P5 team (3rd start overall). Tua, having never started a game, replaced the ineffective Jalen Hurts and won a natty. Hell, JVB took OSU to OT at the 'Shoe and but for a dropped TD by Terry Straussman would have won the game up there. There are plenty of guys who are really good in their first outing.

Dan Persa beat a top 10 Iowa team in his first career start. Easton Slick beat Iowa in his first career start against a P5 team (3rd start overall). Tua, having never started a game, replaced the ineffective Jalen Hurts and won a natty. Hell, JVB took OSU to OT at the 'Shoe and but for a dropped TD by Terry Straussman would have won the game up there. There are plenty of guys who are really good in their first outing.

So you would say that having a good game the first time out is the "norm"?

So you would say that having a good game the first time out is the "norm"?

Mmmm, among guys who are really good, yeah, probably. Like you could just see Stanzi had something when he got snaps at Pitt as an example. Some guys are just natural born stars on the big stage. I will agree, however, that getting thrown to the wolves in Big Ten play with this weird offseason is suboptimal so I'd say give the kid at least 3 drives against Northwestern before pulling him.

Well yeah if you watched the first quarter you may have thought we had a right handed Jake Christianson out there. But he started to settle in later on. He's got potential up the yin yang though. This group needed a cupcake tune up game as much as any KF team ever has. So leave it to 2020 to keep them from having that. I think Petras will be a dang good Qb long before it's all said and done.

Petras was far from the reason we lost that game. He was a little amped up, but I still believe he will have a very solid Iowa career.

This one's on the coaches. For whatever reason, this team wasn't ready. No doubt, the distractions surrounding the allegations and lawsuit were a factor, but that's not an excuse.

I had concerns about the defensive line going in, so that performance didn't shock me, especially considering Schulte wasn't available, but the performance of the offensive line was shocking. Cronk did not look like a prior B1G starter at all and really struggled, and Jackson appeared to be sleep walking in the first half. Run blocking got better as the game went along, but pass protection was awful across the line, and not acceptable for an experienced group.

And, what is with the defensive backs? I have plenty of confidence in Phil, but someone needs to explain to our backs that playing zone doesn't mean you stand in one spot and ignore players right in front of you until the ball is on it's way. They looked like a bunch of lost freshmen out there. In fairness, our complete lack of a pass rush didn't do them any favors.

We also need our WRs to step up. ISM quietly had a terrible game. His route running was lazy and he wasn't focused. Yes, the pass in the first half that he let go through his hands was too hot, but receivers at this level need to make that catch. He seems like a player that lets his emotions guide his play, for the good or bad, and he didn't appear to be in the right mindset Saturday.

He looked exactly how a QB that is playing his first B10 game is supposed to look. I don't think it's fair to judge him on this one game.
Why didn't Mertz look like that then? 20/21 and his ball placement was way better than Petras, and Petras has another year in the system. Not saying Petras won't get better, but this sure looks familiar. Purdue and Illinois both suck so its not like we played stellar competition compared to them.

Iowa needs a non-conference schedule to warm up going into the conference season. What we saw is the result of not having played a couple gimmes to iron things out.
No, how many times have we lost games like this that were in the middle or end of the season? It happens far too often, and that Purdue team is probably worse than a lot of MAC teams.

Why didn't Mertz look like that then? 20/21 and his ball placement was way better than Petras, and Petras has another year in the system. Not saying Petras won't get better, but this sure looks familiar. Purdue and Illinois both suck so its not like we played stellar competition compared to them.
Did you say the same thing when Stanzi and Beathard were rookies? They had worse debuts.

Last edited:
Why did the highest rated QB recruit in Wisconsin history and number 3 overall pro-style QB recruit in the class of 2019 look better than the number 19 pro-style QB recruit in the class of 2018 in his first start? Hmm... I wonder. I think there might be a talent gap here, we wouldn't have any experience with such situations at Iowa, would we?

Against a conference opponent and not some JV game, I'll hold off on forming an opinion of Petras until he gets a few games under his belt. I'm much more disappointed in our ground game coughing up the rock, then I am in QB play.
Especially when they were able to move the ball on the ground at will, OL penalties and fumbles were killer. The reality is that they had a good game plan that would've have been a winner, but those mistakes killed it. Might have been able to overcome them with better clock management, and we know how our defense has been at stopping game-winning drives the last few years.

Last edited:
I don't understand on the TD not matching up with Bell. Bell is arguably the best Big receiver.

Watch these highlights from Purdue. Only once in the highlights was Bell covered. Hawks made a marginal QB look better than he was. Bell knew where to be. The QB knew where he'd be. Throw and catch.
That's on Phil, sorry to say. Shoulda took a time out b4 the TD pass to him!! We were in a 4-3; shoulda had 5 DB's back there.

Especially when they were able to move the ball on the ground at will, OL penalties and fumbles were killer. The reality is that they had a good game plan that would've have been a winner, but those mistakes killed it. Might have been able to overcome them with better clock management, and we know how our defense has been at stopping game-winning drives the last few years.
The defense lost the game in the last quarter. We couldn't stop the run or the pass. Truth.

Latest posts