Announced/Paid Attendance was 8021

The team is horrible, the coach is worse, and the style of play is boring to watch...I don't think CHA will sell out more than 1 or 2 times as long as Lick is the coach. Even if he starts winning, they will play the same boring "system" bball they play now and the fans still won't come. He has got to go this year!

The team is horrible, the coach is worse, and the style of play is boring to watch...I don't think CHA will sell out more than 1 or 2 times as long as Lick is the coach. Even if he starts winning, they will play the same boring "system" bball they play now and the fans still won't come. He has got to go this year!

This is BS - all that matters is Wins.

Ick...they just showed the highlights on KCRG. 1/3 of 8021 might be generous. They showed the Jefferson/Cedar Falls high school highlights after the Hawkeye highlights...tough call as to who had more fans. :(

Style of play is a personal preference - personally, I find the NBA boring. When we start winning, fans will come back.

I would like to know if people actually think Lick can win at Iowa with this style of BB. I think the B10 is too athletic compared to what he did at Butler and find it hard to believe that he can. I think Lick is a great human being but I want to try something different and bring in a new coach and style of BB.

I would like to know if people actually think Lick can win at Iowa with this style of BB. I think the B10 is too athletic compared to what he did at Butler and find it hard to believe that he can. I think Lick is a great human being but I want to try something different and bring in a new coach and style of BB.

This is a good post...all the licklovers keep saying, "his system worked at Butler with less than great players", but what these people fail to realize is that those not so great players were playing against other not so great players. The athleticism of the B10 renders his system worthless. Even if Iowa had great athletes/bball players I feel that Lickliter's system would render them ineffective because the system was set up for less athletic players running it and less athletic players defending it.

It depends on how many wins we are talking about. Obviously, more people will show up if we start winning. But what would be the ratio? In other words, let's say we start winning at about the same rate as what Alford did here on an average year. Do you think we would have the same amount of fans attend that did during that span? I happen to think we would have less with this system.

If you want to fill Carver with this system, ya better be looking at top finishes in the conference. Just my opinion.

A very similar system seems to be working fine in Wisconsin and at Ohio State. Once all the pieces are in place, an Iowa team will produce scores in the 70's without any problems. It won't be boring when it works! Within two years, Iowa basketball will be fun again!

Style of play is a personal preference - personally, I find the NBA boring. When we start winning, fans will come back.

I doubt recruits agree with you. They want an exciting program, with an opportunity to play for some sort of conf./postseason title, and a place that actually scores.

Iowa = the antithesis of that (for now)

One question will be if Iowa fans give Lickliter a chance again even IF he starts to win games. To those who have watched his teams, many don't like his style and many won't go back even if they are winning because they don't like his style or not as many as many of you think.

Wisconsin has players who go to the NBA mixed in their lineup, Iowa has none. OSU had first round draft choices, Iowa doesn't so those kind of comparisons don't fit.

Lickliter has said that he doesn't need those kind of players for his system to compete. But for Wisconsin and OSU to be successful they have had those kinds of players.

What is very interesting is Why do Iowa fans and Lickliter therefore think that Iowa does not need those kind of players to be successful when Wisconsin and OSU do?

Yet Iowa fans on this sitecontinue to compare the programs the programs and systems/styles yet say we don't need similiar players. How does that work? How do teams with similiar styles and systems be just as successful only with players that are a level below those of the teams that are really successful like Wisconsin and OSU that fans are comparing them to? That just does not make any sense whatsoever.

If you want to compare Iowa to Butler, Butler was barely .500 against the power leagues and this is one of their best teams. So what does that say that Lickliter will do with one of his best teams at Iowa? .500 with the recruiting he is now doing, without some NBA talent like Wisconsin and OSU get?

Ohio State and Matta does not play Butler style of ball nor does he recruit Butler type athletes. Guess you haven't watched Ohio State play much. Matta plays mostly zone defense and while they can shoot 3's, they look inside and drive and finish to the basket a lot.

This speaks more about the Iowa Basketball Fanbase than the coach. If he puts a winning product on the floor and we don't show up and support it that's because we "suck as fans" not because the style of play is boring.

As a fanbase we don’t have a very good track record of supporting basketball over the last dozen years. In that time we have managed to do the following….

1) We have run off the winningest coach in Iowa history despite the fact he played an exciting brand of basketball, regularly put up 20 wins a game, regularly made the NCAA tournament, and usually advanced beyond the first round.
2) Stopped supporting an entire program because of our dislike for a coach due to the way he handled a criminal situation with his players while professing that if we hired a quality individual we would return.
3) Have not supported the new coach/product despite the fact he, and for the most part his players, have been good hardworking citizens on and off the court.

Honestly I’m not sure we deserve much more from the program.

One question will be if Iowa fans give Lickliter a chance again even IF he starts to win games. To those who have watched his teams, many don't like his style and many won't go back even if they are winning because they don't like his style or not as many as many of you think.

Again if we don't than we "suck as fans".

Again if we don't than we "suck as fans".

I agree, I can't see fans not showing up if Iowa puts a consistent wining product on the floor. It's Iowa, there is not a lot of other options.

It's one thing to come from Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty, Tiffin, Solon, Hills to watch a poor product. There is not a lot of commitment in that, as the drive is not far.

It is more of a commitment to come from Des Moines, Waterloo and other further away areas to watch games.

I don't know where most of the fans come from who fill up Carver, but I think people will start coming from further away if a good product is put on the floor.

I watched Illinois play Penn St last night some and that game was so absolutely boring it was pretty much unwatchable. I chose to watch Kentucky vs. Florida. Illinois won, so I am sure the fans were happy and the arena looked to be jam packed. I will however note it did not have the same energy that it would for a big game.

Wins matter, style does not. People notice style when wins are not taking place.

A very similar system seems to be working fine in Wisconsin and at Ohio State. Once all the pieces are in place, an Iowa team will produce scores in the 70's without any problems. It won't be boring when it works! Within two years, Iowa basketball will be fun again!
The systems at Wisconsin and Ohio State are NOT vey similar. Please watch some of their games sometime. Ohio State played ZONE the entire first half last night. How often has Iowa played zone in the last 3 years? Not enough minutes to make a half, I'm sure.

Last night had to be a record for the least number of people watching an Iowa game in Carver-Hawkeye if you combine the number of people there and those watching on tv (none). It was close to 4000 actually there, I think.

The systems at Wisconsin and Ohio State are NOT vey similar. Please watch some of their games sometime. Ohio State played ZONE the entire first half last night. How often has Iowa played zone in the last 3 years? Not enough minutes to make a half, I'm sure.

Last night had to be a record for the least number of people watching an Iowa game in Carver-Hawkeye if you combine the number of people there and those watching on tv (none). It was close to 4000 actually there, I think.

FOREVERHAWK will not listen to you he would just rather post false information. He obvioulsy does not watch anyother college basketball. The funny thing is there are very few systems that really stand out. Princeton offense being one of them, most teams run similar stuff when it is all said and done. Forever fails to realize OSU spends most of it's energy on dribble drive, finish at the rim or get the ball to Lauderdale on the block. They are not a perimeter dependent as Iowa currently is.

I'm not arguing with you and call them what you like but if they don't like the product what are they supposed to do?

It is a two edged sword, if everybody shows up the AD and University takes that to mean the fans are happy as clams because everybody is filling the arena and paying what the university wants to fill the arena. That means the university has no reason to do anything because they assume everyone is happy with the status quo when that might not be true.

The players are the pawns between the fans, the coach and the university and that is the unfortunate part of this entire mess. The fans only way to show a university that they are unhappy is with money and attendance.

Alford wasn't doing all that badly but people justified not attending games for a number of different reasons. Did that make them bad fans? Depends on whose ox was getting gored. If a fan just cannot stand watching Lickliter's style of ball regardless of whether they are winning or losing, they probably are not going to watch or attend the games and many have already voted by their attendance.

Does that make them terrible fans? Again it depends on whose ox is getting gored. In their minds no because they would like to see Lickliter replaced. Me for instance, I didn't like Lickliter from the day he was hired and the first time I saw "Butler BB." And he has done absolutely nothing to change my mind and in fact, has done everything to enhance wanting me to want him fired as soon as possible.

I like some of the players and think they could thrive under new leadership. I don't have to worry about attending games because I live 1,100 miles away. Would I attend games if I still lived in IC. Probably not and I used to have season tickets for many years. And I have been listening to and watching Iowa BB for more than 50 years...I love Iowa BB. But agains, I can't wait until the day Lickliter is gone. But that is just me.

Would I go if Iowa starts winning? I'm not sure because I just do not like Lickliter and his style of ball...probablyy not. But that is just me. But I watch every game.

But with Lickliter, I really don't think we will have to worry about it because I believe he will fail miserably because he is just in so far over his head.

You nailed it, parquet. We are so far behind the Ohio State and Wisky programs, it's not even funny.

Latest posts