Angry Iowa Gets Auburn in Big Dance

I love how some are insinuating that the Iowa players and Fran did not care enough or were not mad enough, or otherwise just weren't in the right head space in losing to Nebbie and then OSU. Can we also give some credit to the two opponents, who both played good games and at the end of both games a few shots/breaks went against Iowa and we lost. When you are not an overwhelmingly talented team, which Iowa is not, and you rely heavily on perimeter shooting, you are going to lose some games and it has nothing to do with your emotional make-up before the game. And, this is the same team that went into Bloomington and beat a ranked Indiana team like a red headed step-child two weeks ago. Was Indiana not emotional enough that day? Come on. Its sports, and someone is gonna lose. Let's not pretend the players and coaches are not fully motivated to win. That's dumb. Really dumb.

Shots may or not fall, thats the game, but hustle and defense can overcome that. Thats the Fran team I expect or should I say hope for on Thursday. Lets get the W kids.

Get to the rim....yes that's what you do when the shots don't fall.

Iowa has handicaps.

From a shooting perspective, like it or not some teams sag 1, 2, and sometimes 3 defenders back to keep Iowa away from the rim.

Like it or not, most teams are never going to take CM seriously from the arc...or even closer.

Flip is never going to be a threat from the arc.

PM can be but he's never moving left to shoot or get to the hoop. To the right he is pretty good. He's never shooting over someone one going up with him and neither is CM cause they were never taught. Just doesn't happen.

These are the keys to Iowas shooting issues. So it's really not about bad team shooting , its about one person not named them missing and guards, Murray or Sandfort having road blocks to the rim as defenders don't take that seriously.

Bruce Pearle will know this . The game will be a scrum.

Fran is like 80 over 500 at Iowa. Actually what he did this year in the conference and out is typical Fran. 19 and 13 Fran. Not as good as ole 8-3 Earl.

Most coaches are going to have a really good record keeping opponents in the 60s...except Lick.

Actually, that is something that LIckliter did, is to keep games below 60. Remember the one Mich St. game Iowa won with Lick coaching, very low scoring. Lickliter did it slowing the game way down, limiting possessions by both teams and playing decent D. Brutal to watch.

It was Lickliter's first BIG 10 victory. I didn't realize that.

Last edited:
Actually, that is something that LIckliter did, is to keep games below 60. Remember the one Mich St. game Iowa won with Lick coaching, very low scoring. Lickliter did it slowing the game way down, limiting possessions by both teams and playing decent D. Brutal to watch.
Do you remember tge MSU Iowa game under Lute. Hawks had the lead and ran 4 corners in the first half trying to get Jud out of a zone?

Do you remember tge MSU Iowa game under Lute. Hawks had the lead and ran 4 corners in the first half trying to get Jud out of a zone?
If we're talking about the same game, it was Jud and MSU that slowed things down. They were severely undermanned. The halftime score was probably something in the teens.

I like this matchup for the Hawks -- a heckuva lot better than getting Memphis! I don't know what it takes to get this Iowa team to play defense, and I don't think Fran knows either -- a potential double-bye wasn't incentive enough; a BTen tourney game wasn't incentive enough. But if the Hawks play defense like they were motivated to do vs Iowa State earlier this year -- and don't turn the ball over -- they'll beat Auburn.
They play their best defense when they're scoring the 3. Mostly mental. Iowa takes alot of 3's and if they're not falling, the defense suffers, as well as the O obviously. We really live and die by the 3 more than I can ever remember this year.

LOL. I was actually at that game in the old fieldhouse.

MSU held the ball as well because they knew they couldn't run with the Hawks.

"Judd Sucks" resonated from every corner.

MSU finally played "normal ball" and Iowa blistered them.

What was the halftime score?

Also was Judd behind and Iowa would come out of the zone?
LOL. I was actually at that game in the old fieldhouse.

MSU held the ball as well because they knew they couldn't run with the Hawks.

"Judd Sucks" resonated from every corner.

MSU finally played "normal ball" and Iowa blistered them.

If we're talking about the same game, it was Jud and MSU that slowed things down. They were severely undermanned. The halftime score was probably something in the teens.

That would have been brutal and boring prior to a shot clock.

My sister had a coach who attempted to do that in her 6 on 6 HS game against a team with a stud offensive player. 6 on 6 with no shot clock and a stalling team. Two dribbles...............pass.................two dribbles.............pass. So brutal to witness, but an interesting strategy.

Here it is. Lickliter's first BIG victory which I forgot.

That was an advertisement for the shot clock if ever there was one. 12-8 at the half or something like that (and that's not a misprint).

MSU got down 4-0 and immediately took the air out of the ball, two guys playing catch out near mid court. Iowa, who was just as shorthanded as Michigan State without Lester and several others, was content to let them kill much of the half.

I remember Iowa won in OT. And didn't make a single substitution the entire game.

I also remember another stall at Indiana just before the shot clock. The game was nationally televised on NBC and Knight didn't like media timeouts (which were still relatively new back them). Holding a slim five or six point second half lead, Indiana ran their halfcourt offense for eleven minutes without shooting or turning it over. NBC had to stick their media timeouts up their you know where.

I think Scott Skiles came after the Lute era, didn't he? The first Hawkeyes I remember playing were Steve Carfino, Bobby Hanson, etc.. That class. I think Skiles came years after that, but I could be wrong.
Skiles was more during the Raveling era, and picked a good time (for the rest of the league) to graduate. He would have turned the three point rule on its ear, even more than Alford did.

That was an advertisement for the shot clock if ever there was one. 12-8 at the half or something like that (and that's not a misprint).

MSU got down 4-0 and immediately took the air out of the ball, two guys playing catch out near mid court. Iowa, who was just as shorthanded as Michigan State without Lester and several others, was content to let them kill much of the half.

I remember Iowa won in OT. And didn't make a single substitution the entire game.

I also remember another stall at Indiana just before the shot clock. The game was nationally televised on NBC and Knight didn't like media timeouts (which were still relatively new back them). Holding a slim five or six point second half lead, Indiana ran their halfcourt offense for eleven minutes without shooting or turning it over. NBC had to stick their media timeouts up their you know where.
I thought it was 8-6 but not sure at half. And ended like 36 to 32.

Latest posts