Angry Iowa Gets Auburn in Big Dance

If they play anything but motivated Thursday, I'd say they should have been left out of the field.

I would expect nothing less than pissed-off, angry, etc coming from a McCaffrey ;)

The "anger" / "chip on the shoulder" angle is the most overplayed in sports. Cute headline, drama-clicks, zero-impact when the ball goes up.

Honestly, don't give 2 shits how anyone in the Hawkeye lockerroom feels. Just make sure you put the damn ball in the basket starting at 5:50pm central time this Thursday and keep doing it until around 8pm on Saturday. If Iowa makes their shots and gets the games in the mid-80's or above, they WILL make the sweet 16.

I like this matchup for the Hawks -- a heckuva lot better than getting Memphis! I don't know what it takes to get this Iowa team to play defense, and I don't think Fran knows either -- a potential double-bye wasn't incentive enough; a BTen tourney game wasn't incentive enough. But if the Hawks play defense like they were motivated to do vs Iowa State earlier this year -- and don't turn the ball over -- they'll beat Auburn.

Not supposed to be angry or play angry. Not a good thing. Hopefully Fran can not get angry and keep his head in the game. Sometime I think his too slow adjustments can be caused by him focusing and getting mad at ref stuff. Stay focused, recognize quickly, make the right subs and decisions. TO's manged and used well.

I would expect nothing less than pissed-off, angry, etc coming from a McCaffrey ;)

The "anger" / "chip on the shoulder" angle is the most overplayed in sports. Cute headline, drama-clicks, zero-impact when the ball goes up.

Honestly, don't give 2 shits how anyone in the Hawkeye lockerroom feels. Just make sure you put the damn ball in the basket starting at 5:50pm central time this Thursday and keep doing it until around 8pm on Saturday. If Iowa makes their shots and gets the games in the mid-80's or above, they WILL make the sweet 16.
Fran is like eighty games over .500 when they give up low 60's in points. They lost 7 of the games this year giving up 80 or more. Miracle against MSU almost another one. Mid-80's or more will not get them to a sweet 16. That is Oregon scoring 95 on us. Auburn is 10-2 scoring 78 or more with the losses being both 5 points vs. Bama and Texas A&M. Let's just start with keeping Auburn around 70. Iowa 75-70. :)

Last edited:
Fran is like eighty games over .500 when they give up low 60's in points. 83-3 or 83-4.
To be honest wouldn't that pretty much be any coach, not just Fran? I mean, what college coach wouldn't have won almost every game holding an opponent in the low 60s?

To be honest wouldn't that pretty much be any coach, not just Fran? I mean, what college coach wouldn't have won almost every game holding an opponent in the low 60s?
I can think of one that normally lost by double digits if his opponents scored low 60s.

I refer you to Richmond. Just saying that they are better off lower than higher as was mention mid 80's and higher. Heck go way back to Elite 8 UNLV. Better than we kept running and that game was in the 80's or should we have slowed down and gave them less shot attempts to hold on to a 22 point lead.

Not supposed to be angry or play angry. Not a good thing. Hopefully Fran can not get angry and keep his head in the game. Sometime I think his too slow adjustments can be caused by him focusing and getting mad at ref stuff. Stay focused, recognize quickly, make the right subs and decisions. TO's manged and used well.

Fran is like eighty games over .500 when they give up low 60's in points. They lost 7 of the games this year giving up 80 or more. Miracle against MSU almost another one. Mid-80's or more will not get them to a sweet 16. That is Oregon scoring 95 on us. Auburn is 10-2 scoring 78 or more with the losses being both 5 points vs. Bama and Texas A&M. Let's just start with keeping Auburn around 70. Iowa 75-70. :)
Fran is like 80 over 500 at Iowa. Actually what he did this year in the conference and out is typical Fran. 19 and 13 Fran. Not as good as ole 8-3 Earl.

Most coaches are going to have a really good record keeping opponents in the 60s...except Lick.

Latest posts