An Idea for the Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobHowe

Administrator
I think I'm going to start a few catch-all threads on Monday for the political/social issue/health issues/etc that are overlapping with sports, particularly Hawkeye athletics. In those, we'll contain the conversation on that and like topics.

I was thinking a COVID-19 thread for updates from Iowa on cases and general discussion on how it's impacting sports.

I was thinking a national anthem thread which can also contain social media posts from Iowa players and coaches on social issues.

I know we have these threads on here, but I'm going to lock them and start again with hopefully less inflammatory takes. We're going to eliminate flaming posts inciting unrest, politically and socially, unless there's a connection to Hawkeye sports. I know it won't be easy, but that's what I am going to do.

So, you have through Sunday to continue flaming each other. Monday morning we will turn the page to more productive discussion. That's my hope, anyway.

I do not want an off-topic forum but am open to other suggestions on how to proceed here.

Thanks,

The Management

What's the purpose of the "National Anthem" thread? Nobody is protesting the anthem. They're protesting police brutality, and using an opportune moment where cameras are always on to do so. I agree with the idea of this type of thread, but calling it a national anthem thread is misleading in my opinion.

Just my $0.02.

What's the purpose of the "National Anthem" thread? Nobody is protesting the anthem. They're protesting police brutality, and using an opportune moment where cameras are always on to do so. I agree with the idea of this type of thread, but calling it a national anthem thread is misleading in my opinion.

Just my $0.02.

Semantics I think. It's a discussion about Iowa players kneeling for the anthem. There are fans opposed to it and fans you are not. It's going to remain a story. I'm not saying minds will be changed either way, but it's going to be discussed on the board.

Semantics I think. It's a discussion about Iowa players kneeling for the anthem. There are fans opposed to it and fans you are not. It's going to remain a story. I'm not saying minds will be changed either way, but it's going to be discussed on the board.

Like I said, I agree with the premise, but naming the thread National Anthem makes it seem like it's about the anthem, when it's not. Why not "silent protest", "take a knee", etc...

Like I said, I agree with the premise, but naming the thread National Anthem makes it seem like it's about the anthem, when it's not. Why not "silent protest", "take a knee", etc...

I don't think we disagree. I wasn't planning on the thread title "The National Anthem" but the silent protest, taking a knee is happening during the anthem for a reason, so I would have it as part of the thread title.

Just my $0.02.

Most blacks will never support the anthem due to other verses and the author. That was the reason for kneeling.

THe problem is that some posts cross the line on racism and many appear to be covert or just ignorant.

Another board I visit has a specific area for Religion, Sex, Politics.

That is the ONLY place you can discuss that stuff.

Maybe an area called Politics and Social issues. You may want to get a volunteer to monitor it with specific guidlines to moderate it.

And while you moderate the rest of the board, any time these things pop up you immediately lock it.

Now this can look heavy handed and arbitrary, but if you make things clear from the start, there is no reason not to understand what goes where.

Most blacks will never support the anthem due to other verses and the author. That was the reason for kneeling.
It has nothing to do with the anthem itself. Read CK's statements. It's about oppression. It's about police brutality. It's about racism in America. Most people aren't even aware of "other verses" by the author.

I don’t agree with kneeling during the anthem, but since this is so polarizing, do players and coaches even need to be on the field during it? Just come out afterwards?

It has nothing to do with the anthem itself. Read CK's statements. It's about oppression. It's about police brutality. It's about racism in America. Most people aren't even aware of "other verses" by the author.

Then why don't they pick another time slot to protest? Just curious on what your response will be.

Little late to try to put the genie back in the lamp. Battle lines have been drawn on this board and being Hawkeye fans is not enough to keep this board together. Too much off-topic hostile conversations have already been allowed with no oversight. When you start a fire it doesn't always burn they way you want. I do like the ideal of keeping sport and social content separate.

Another board I visit has a specific area for Religion, Sex, Politics.

That is the ONLY place you can discuss that stuff.

Maybe an area called Politics and Social issues. You may want to get a volunteer to monitor it with specific guidlines to moderate it.

And while you moderate the rest of the board, any time these things pop up you immediately lock it.

Now this can look heavy handed and arbitrary, but if you make things clear from the start, there is no reason not to understand what goes where.

That's been tried already and it ended up guys trolling each other and stirring the pot. It got to the point where Jon had no choice but to shut that shit down.

That's been tried already and it ended up guys trolling each other and stirring the pot. It got to the point where Jon had no choice but to shut that shit down.

Yes. Jon told me about that.

The landscape of sports and the country, and Iowa football for that matter, has changed a lot during the last month. It's naive to think sports conversation will stick to just sport.

Yeah, I could have just shut down anything not related to sports the last month, but I felt it better that we discuss uncomfortable topics on here especially when Iowa football and social unrest in the country were colliding. I understand people did like that approach, but I still believe it was the right one.

The aiming to corral it and reel it in next week, but I just don't see eliminating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts