Alford joins the sleeze...

Really that is the first i have heard about that....maybe it is just another mith that some people like to throw out there to make SA...seriously people just need to grow up and let it go...

Read the post just a few above yours. A good point that I'd not thought of before. SA is a national figure now, and therefore is not exempt from the same sort of bashing that DickRod, Calipari, etc. are subject to. It's a little more fun to bash him because he's a former coach, but that doesn't really change anything.

Really that is the first i have heard about that....maybe it is just another mith that some people like to throw out there to make SA...seriously people just need to grow up and let it go...

Iowa bb players did fine academically during the SA years...Henderson and Hansen had issues but came back and graduated,I believe.
Haluska was academic all-american,Bru and Horner graduated.
Reggie did not,but that happens everywhere.
Lick had Tucker fail right outta the box also.
Anyone know how Jermain Davis and Archie did in school?
SA took more risks academically,because he wanted talent.
Lick still took some risks,but not as talented.
If you recruit mainly Iowa HS preps, you can probably do fine academically,but lose games like Lick did.

No suprise there. I think the honeymoon is over. Stevie got his first tourney victory over an absolutely horrible team - and still struggled. Then got smoked in the second game. My prediction is it will be the first and last tourney victory for them under Alford - they'll never get that high of ranking again and so will never face that low of competition again in the tourney. I'll bet a couple years down the road alot of NM fans will be thinking, "You know those Iowa folks might have been on to something."

Sadly, I like your thinking here.

All I said is that Alford joined the sleeze and pulled a kids scholarship because he over recruited. What Alford did here in Albuquerque has been talked about at length and although want to believe in Alford, many are scratching their heads about what has happened and many do not like what has happened and hope it does not happen again.

I think if an Iowa coach had done this, many Iowa fans would not like it. And there is a difference between a first year coach asking kids from the previous coach to leave, although it isn't nice (Raveling did it) and a 4th year coach taking a scholarship away because he oversigned players. First year coaches commonly bring in their own players and ask players to leave because they don't fit the new coaches playing style. Big difference.

This player had been in a little trouble but had returned to Alford's good graces last year and played in 34 of 35 games so the media didn't understand what "training rules" were broken and Alford or UNM would not talk about it when the player was released. The training rules came up AFTER Negedu was signed...

Last edited:
This is not the first of Alfs own recruits he has run off. I think there where two last year as well.

Latest posts