Akeel Lynch in Iowa City?

People who are trying to say PSU didn't get what they deserve are out of their minds, if anything they didn't get a harsh enough punishment.

PSU could've easily gotten a multi-year death penalty. Their current coach still doesn't get it.

From ESPN

"It's time to punch back." All due respect coach, but are you out of your mind? The penalties fall and the punishments drop -- none of them even a week old -- and already the language rings defiant, as if there's been a persecution, an injustice done against Penn State football. Who are the real victims here? And who are the martyrs?
"We took a lot of punches. Penn State has taken a lot of punches over the last six months," Bill O'Brien said at Big Ten media day, "and it's time to punch back."
[+] Enlarge

Against what? Against whom? Against the monster this program harbored for so long? Or do you mean to punch back against the critics and those who said maybe football was less important than atonement?
Where's the effort at reconciliation? The restoration of trust in your own community? Where's the contrition? Financial compensation, no matter how lavish, is not by itself restitution. Money alone heals no one.

Penn State missed the chance to voluntarily suspend football operations until it knew where it stood. Until it knew what happened and for how long and to whom. Instead it rushes into another season without knowing where the next accusation is coming from, or where the next investigation might lead. In the weeks and months and years ahead, how many more names will be read out in how many more courtrooms?
But no one need miss a single down of football.
It's been suggested that Penn State convene a Truth and Reconciliation Commission like the one made famous in South Africa. Trade amnesties for bitter truths. I second this, but note without surprise that the idea has no traction anywhere. Instead, elaborate arrangements are being made for financial settlements. Payoffs.

Re: Lynch

Lynch's interest in Iowa is not surprising but Iowa reciprocating is indeed puzzling. During recruiting season, we wanted Garmon the most, but hedged with Lynch. This is borne out by Lynch's public Iowa love and sudden commit to PSU-- it points to Iowa wanting to slow things down waiting it out for Garmon.

Yet, now a few months later, both parties apparently want to boogie? Nah. We could use more help in the trenches, at LB, and WR. So if there is mutual interest, it is more likely at one of those spots, Lynch imo is a red herring. Lynch will end up at one of the other B1Gs if he leaves psu.

Lynch's interest in Iowa is not surprising but Iowa reciprocating is indeed puzzling. During recruiting season, we wanted Garmon the most, but hedged with Lynch. This is borne out by Lynch's public Iowa love and sudden commit to PSU-- it points to Iowa wanting to slow things down waiting it out for Garmon.

Since then, #1 Canzieri has torn an ACL. Then Deandre happened.

Yet, now a few months later, both parties apparently want to boogie? Nah. We could use more help in the trenches, at LB, and WR. So if there is mutual interest, it is more likely at one of those spots, Lynch imo is a red herring. Lynch will end up at one of the other B1Gs if he leaves psu.

Also, I don't think the scholarship counts against our 85 for 2012 (that's the way I originally heard it), but it would for 2013+. So, really, how does he compare against the guys we're recruiting for 2013? The answer is: very well...especially since none have committed yet.

Also, I don't think the scholarship counts against our 85 for 2012 (that's the way I originally heard it), but it would for 2013+. So, really, how does he compare against the guys we're recruiting for 2013? The answer is: very well...especially since none have committed yet.

This, no doubt we take him if he's interested.

Since then, #1 Canzieri has torn an ACL. Then Deandre happened.

I realize Canzieri's acl happened but it's precisely to offset such events that we recruited more than 1 guy -- garmon, bullock, hill, dawson, meier, malloy all scholarship guys are still available. What I mean is that Canzieri is already "priced in".

Deandre on the other hand just happened yesterday...not sure he has any bearing on Lynch.

That said, my biased opinion stems from hating Iowa weakness in the trenches...KF has shown he can win with messrs. sam, brown, and lee when he has maulers on the lines. So I would rather he stock up there and use walkons at RB rather than the other way around. :)

I realize Canzieri's acl happened but it's precisely to offset such events that we recruited more than 1 guy -- garmon, bullock, hill, dawson, meier, malloy all scholarship guys are still available. What I mean is that Canzieri is already "priced in".

Deandre on the other hand just happened yesterday...not sure he has any bearing on Lynch.

That said, my biased opinion stems from hating Iowa weakness in the trenches...KF has shown he can win with messrs. sam, brown, and lee when he has maulers on the lines. So I would rather he stock up there and use walkons at RB rather than the other way around. :)

It's not either/or. We can take Lynch, not have him count against our limit, and still be able to take players at other positions.

There is no reason to not take Lynch. It is adding depth for free.

neither Dawson or Malloy are on scholarship.

It's not either/or. We can take Lynch, not have him count against our limit, and still be able to take players at other positions.

There is no reason to not take Lynch. It is adding depth for free.

It's not exactly free. Iowa has to reduce next years' 'ships by 1 if they take him. So, he would basically count toward 2013 class.

I don't think that Iowa will forced to use walkons at OL just because they take one transfer RB.

Dawson and Malloy are walk ons. Bullock spent most of last year at WR was 2nd string to Canzeri, and it seems like Kirk still thinks he is a better receiver than running back. Johnson can't even beat out a guy who spent most of the year at WR and he has been in the program longer. Meier won't be a RB.

It's not exactly free. Iowa has to reduce next years' 'ships by 1 if they take him. So, he would basically count toward 2013 class.

Good point, but I'd take him over a typical Iowa recruit for that class. IMO hes better than most players we could/would get so it would be a great pickup. Also, I think for people to say that Iowa isnt thin at RB is ridiculous, they need more depth badly. He would help

RB is still a thin position. You are crazy if you think Lynch wouldn't be an asset to the depth chart.

neither Dawson or Malloy are on scholarship.

My bad -- I should've typed "scholarship caliber". Dawson and Malloy both received Iowa offers at one time and are not typical walkons. Imo, given the choice between adding a OL/DL/LB and a non-5* RB, take the former.

The other argument on taking Lynch simply to substitute for a 2013 RB is interesting but still leaves too many guys bunched up together at one spot. Except for Meier, none of the other guys seem like they project well to other spots. Bullock won't be a pure WR as much as a RB with good hands.

And just last year, we saw non-scholly and marginal-scholly types on the lines. The poor results are a direct reflection of that.

Last edited:

Good point, but I'd take him over a typical Iowa recruit for that class. IMO hes better than most players we could/would get so it would be a great pickup. Also, I think for people to say that Iowa isnt thin at RB is ridiculous, they need more depth badly. He would help

I would say "unproven" before thin. They actually have a decent number of RB's. Well, had, I guess before DeAndre happened.

Latest posts