AJ is tied for sacks in the Big 10

So far we're 1st in total defense, 1st in sacks, 3rd in rush defense, and have two DE's in the top 10 in sacks in the B1G and some people want to change things up...

Jeebus.
There is clearly room for improvement. Why aren't we first in rush defense? Why don't we have at least 4 DL who are in the top 4 in sacks in COUNTRY (not just the B1G). Why do fans like you settle for mediocrity?

There is clearly room for improvement. Why aren't we first in rush defense? Why don't we have at least 4 DL who are in the top 4 in sacks in COUNTRY (not just the B1G). Why do fans like you settle for mediocrity?
Lolz, coming from the fair weather guy who isn't even a Hawkeye fan. I thought we had your Vico problem worked out?

Total defense and wins are what counts when we're talking about the whole team. The other stats are a supporting cast of total defense. If they start getting burned by running a rotation then by all means change it, but when winning games and keeping other teams under 200 YPG and 3.4 per play, changing what you're doing would be stupid.

But regardless, I'll cut you a little slack. My best friend had a bad pill problem a few years ago too and I know you guys struggle a little bit getting full thoughts out, and that not taking into consideration all the self-hatred the morning after. Get better, man.

Lolz, coming from the fair weather guy who isn't even a Hawkeye fan. I thought we had your Vico problem worked out?

Total defense and wins are what counts when we're talking about the whole team. The other stats are a supporting cast of total defense. If they start getting burned by running a rotation then by all means change it, but when winning games and keeping other teams under 200 YPG and 3.4 per play, changing what you're doing would be stupid.

But regardless, I'll cut you a little slack. My best friend had a bad pill problem a few years ago too and I know you guys struggle a little bit getting full thoughts out, and that not taking into consideration all the self-hatred the morning after. Get better, man.
Wow, not surprising you can't manage a substantive response and have to harp on one post I made when I had 10 days of vicos after knee surgery. Just admit it, the defense can and must get better. ISU waltzed right down on the field in that first drive. That is unacceptable.

Who would you bench?

This. I've been one to criticize Kirk for going with the upperclassmen to a fault at times. This is an exception. The DL starters are all killing it, we're in a unique position that we have that many great players at DE.

This is an example where "starting" is a bit misleading. I would like to see AJ get more reps though

This is an example where "starting" is a bit misleading. I would like to see AJ get more reps though
Completely agree.

If you're going to consider "starting" to be significant it has to mean that that's the guy who's going to be in the game 95% of the snaps.

Just being named the guy who's on the field for the 1st snap of the game is meaningless when two or three other guys are going to get just as many reps.

Like our situation at running back, I hate when Iowa lists the two deeps because so many people (and media) make a huge deal out of who the "starter" is. How many times have we seen in the last 10 years where 3 running backs play significant minutes in a season and each guy has a few games where he goes off? Look at 2016 where Daniels and Wadley had almost identical seasons and 10 TDs each. Is it significant which guy we call the starter? Same thing at DE this year. They're a 3, sometimes 4 man crew...call it as such and let it be.

Wow, not surprising you can't manage a substantive response and have to harp on one post I made when I had 10 days of vicos after knee surgery. Just admit it, the defense can and must get better. ISU waltzed right down on the field in that first drive. That is unacceptable.
One drive??

How about allowing .8 YPC, 19 yards total, 4-14 3D, and 0-1 4D for the whole game instead of cherry picking bullshit to make your (weak) point?

You'd bench Hesse or Nelson because you think we'd have .6 YPC and 15 yards total? Am I hearing that right? If you want to talk Hawkeyes you need to watch the games. I'm fine with you being a wannabe Alabama bandwagoner, but don't spout junk about games you don't even follow. It just confuses people.

One drive??

How about allowing .8 YPC, 19 yards total, 4-14 3D, and 0-1 4D for the whole game instead of cherry picking bullshit to make your (weak) point?

You'd bench Hesse or Nelson because you think we'd have .6 YPC and 15 yards total? Am I hearing that right? If you want to talk Hawkeyes you need to watch the games. I'm fine with you being a wannabe Alabama bandwagoner, but don't spout junk about games you don't even follow. It just confuses people.
Look, bud, I live in the Deep South now. Got two playoff teams from last year within 100 miles from my place and Bama is only a few hours away as well. Guys like you who are complacent about getting better are exactly why teams like Michigan State and Ohio State get shitrolled in the playoffs. They don't have a championship mindset. Yeah, I know OSU beat Bama once in the playoffs, but that was the result of Kirby being a moron (which is why he now coaches Georgia) and Nick not having any film on Cardale. In OSU's last appearance against a southern team in the playoffs, they lost 31-0, in no small because homers like you aren't looking for ways to get better.

So yeah, Iowa could do better. 19 yards is too many. Why wasn't it 10?

Look, bud, I live in the Deep South now. Got two playoff teams from last year within 100 miles from my place and Bama is only a few hours away as well. Guys like you who are complacent about getting better are exactly why teams like Michigan State and Ohio State get shitrolled in the playoffs. They don't have a championship mindset. Yeah, I know OSU beat Bama once in the playoffs, but that was the result of Kirby being a moron (which is why he now coaches Georgia) and Nick not having any film on Cardale. In OSU's last appearance against a southern team in the playoffs, they lost 31-0, in no small because homers like you aren't looking for ways to get better.

So yeah, Iowa could do better. 19 yards is too many. Why wasn't it 10?
You can type all the hot garbage justifications you want but you're still a team-hopping bandwagon fan with no stones and no pride in himself. You guys are the worst of the worst sports fans. People like you are the reason that Super Bowl and World Series jerseys flood the mall afterwards, because there are millions of gullible suckers trying to latch on to a free ride of real fans' happiness. I mean, don't you ever feel a little bit embarrassed about yourself when you buy your gear, talk about your coach like you're on a first name basis (good ole "Nick"), and say "we" when referring to a team you've only followed for three years? Kids do that in elementary school, not 50 year old guys.

You're the sports version of a Dane Cook or Nickelback fan, "bud." I'd say stop embarrassing yourself but then you'd have to take your earring out, sell your convertible, and stop tucking your t'shirts in. I know it's easier to get at your cell phone holster that way, and the convertible gets you all those widows, but guys your age shouldn't be wearing cubic zirconia studs from Hot Topic anymore. Don't be that sports fan.

You can type all the hot garbage justifications you want but you're still a team-hopping bandwagon fan with no stones and no pride in himself. You guys are the worst of the worst sports fans. People like you are the reason that Super Bowl and World Series jerseys flood the mall afterwards, because there are millions of gullible suckers trying to latch on to a free ride of real fans' happiness. I mean, don't you ever feel a little bit embarrassed about yourself when you buy your gear, talk about your coach like you're on a first name basis (good ole "Nick"), and say "we" when referring to a team you've only followed for three years? Kids do that in elementary school, not 50 year old guys.

You're the sports version of a Dane Cook or Nickelback fan, "bud." I'd say stop embarrassing yourself but then you'd have to take your earring out, sell your convertible, and stop tucking your t'shirts in. I know it's easier to get at your cell phone holster that way, and the convertible gets you all those widows, but guys your age shouldn't be wearing cubic zirconia studs from Hot Topic anymore. Don't be that sports fan.
I often refer to our coach as Mr. Saban as well. I also don't wear jerseys.

What about your licensed Nick Saban model straw hat that you got with your Douche Canoe Starter Kit when you moved down there?
The only Bama stuff I bought when I moved down here was a Bama Yeti cooler (Tundra 65) and a chrome license plate for my front plate (bince we don't need a front state plate down here).

Anyone think Parker Hesse could mess around and slide into a 7th round draft pick, NFL free agent type kid?
Love the kid, but nope.

He's even smaller than Mitch King and not as good, and we know how that one turned out. DE is one spot where you're just not going to make it in the NFL without size. Nelson and Epenesa have it though, and they'll probably play Sundays.

Love the kid, but nope.

He's even smaller than Mitch King and not as good, and we know how that one turned out. DE is one spot where you're just not going to make it in the NFL without size. Nelson and Epenesa have it though, and they'll probably play Sundays.

Kinda what I think too. Hopeful for him. He’s turning out to be a heckuva player.

Love the kid, but nope.

You are comparing a DE to a DT, not a good comparison. Mitch was a sub-290 lbs DT and was at best 6' 2". Parker is 6' 3" and around 260 lbs. That is taller and only about 5 lbs less than a DE that caused some havoc in the NFL. Dwight Freeney ring a bell? Just because he isn't the size of JJ Watt or Jadaveon Clowney doesn't mean he can't make it due to size. AJ and Nelson definitely have the size you would expect but to write Hesse off already is asinine.

You are comparing a DE to a DT, not a good comparison. Mitch was a sub-290 lbs DT and was at best 6' 2". Parker is 6' 3" and around 260 lbs. That is taller and only about 5 lbs less than a DE that caused some havoc in the NFL. Dwight Freeney ring a bell? Just because he isn't the size of JJ Watt or Jadaveon Clowney doesn't mean he can't make it due to size. AJ and Nelson definitely have the size you would expect but to write Hesse off already is asinine.
I compared him to Mitch King because King was undersized for his position and that's the main reason he never made it. Everyone and their brother thought he was getting drafted early (not saying that's the case with Hesse).

You comparing Hesse to Dwight Freeney is what's asinine. The guy was a unanimous all American and was all conference twice. He ran a 4.4-40 which was the fastest ever at the time for a defensive lineman. Yeah he got drafted, the guy was a beast. I'm sorry, but Hesse isn't even in the same zip code as him.

4-3 DEs in the NFL average 6'5" and close to 300 lbs. The typical starter on a 3-4 squad is even bigger than that. For someone way smaller than average to get a spot he's got to be a physical freak which Hesse isn't.

I compared him to Mitch King because King was undersized for his position and that's the main reason he never made it. Everyone and their brother thought he was getting drafted early (not saying that's the case with Hesse).

You comparing Hesse to Dwight Freeney is what's asinine. The guy was a unanimous all American and was all conference twice. He ran a 4.4-40 which was the fastest ever at the time for a defensive lineman. Yeah he got drafted, the guy was a beast. I'm sorry, but Hesse isn't even in the same zip code as him.

4-3 DEs in the NFL average 6'5" and close to 300 lbs. The typical starter on a 3-4 squad is even bigger than that. For someone way smaller than average to get a spot he's got to be a physical freak which Hesse isn't.

I simply did what you did and compared their size. If you go back to the original post you replied to, they mentioned 7th round or UFA, which is definitely believable. Nothing was mentioned about being a high draft pick. So talent was not my point of comparison. There have been Hawkeyes who were not as good as Hesse that were signed as an UFA. And with size, there are countless exceptions to the rule. Mike Singletary and London Fletcher were "too small." So was Drew Brees when he came out.

Fun fact: In the Ferentz era when Iowa has 30 or more sacks, we have won at least 10 games. At this point in time (after 2 games) we have 9 sacks.