Ahron Ulis, Josh Ogundele in Portal

Ulis just not very good... he had some moment.

I get a chuckle at some posters thinking he was "fast" or "athletic"

Because he isn't really exceptionally fast or athletic.

Joe T was fast....

Ulis just not very good... he had some moment.

I get a chuckle at some posters thinking he was "fast" or "athletic"

Because he isn't really exceptionally fast or athletic.

Joe T was fast....
Ulis feels like he should be playing at a lower level of play. He's like a 32% 3 pt shooter. He's not that quick or fast. He's like 6'2 185. He's big enough but if you can't create your shot or be good/confident at taking them when open you won't last long. He was only starting/playing significant mins because of a lack of options. Bowen wasn't ready yet. Hope he will be soon or a transfer coming in will.

Yeah, this feels like a nudging in both regards, Josh was nudged out last year too but how the portal went, it was a nice little fall back for the coaching staff to lean on bringing him back.

I really liked Ahron Ulis but his departure will be as impactful as Joe T's last season.

IMO, this frees up space and for those that follow recruiting, Iowa is in on a TON of guys in the portal already.
It looks like the majority of Penn St's team hit the Portal

Freshman pgs that play usually either come in with their hair on fire like Joe Toussiant and just play overly aggressive all the time (come to find out that was a large part of his game) or they are a tad on the timid side afraid to make a mistake. Bowen didn't really play enough and Fran kinda bungled how to handle his mins. He shoulda been getting 10-15 every game but instead he went several games without playing at all and barely playing when he did.
Fran went all in on his seven man rotation and thought he could make the run this year. Based on how he used eight through eleven in the rotation, how could he not have been thinking otherwise.

He's got his work cut out for him next year. So do a bunch of players who will have to play their way out of the muck and earn his trust.

They don’t need points from the pg position. The issue with iowa basketball has never been points with this staff. It’s always been defense. They need a pg that plays lockdown defense out front
Had one...the one you mentioned. I was PISSED when Fran let him go.

If Fran wanted Joe bad enough he would have been here. Would also love to see,two point guard types on the floor at the same time, wreaking havoc.

Would love to see a three guard lineup of Perkins, Bowen and Harding at the same time, but that will never happen. I would have no problem with Dix and both Sandforts and Patrick coming off the bench.

I don't get the Perkins thing. I'm not sure why people are thinking he could leave. He played a role and got some good minutes. He'd be coming back as a veteran while Fran breaks in Harding and company.
Perkins wears his emotions on his sleeve, which is his greatest asset and greatest albatross. When juiced he turns in mind blowing minutes like last years BTT, or the Michigan State OT. When sour he disappears from games and has heated conversations with Fran on the bench

I'm sure those who love to connect dots took one look at his body language and insinuated that as a hint he was looking to leave.

Fran has conducted exit interviews by now. If someone announces portal intentions now, it won't be because Fran didn't promise him a prominent role.

Last edited:
Ulis feels like he should be playing at a lower level of play. He's like a 32% 3 pt shooter. He's not that quick or fast. He's like 6'2 185. He's big enough but if you can't create your shot or be good/confident at taking them when open you won't last long. He was only starting/playing significant mins because of a lack of options. Bowen wasn't ready yet. Hope he will be soon or a transfer coming in will.
Sandfort's early season slump didn't help either. It moved Perkins over from the point and Connor into the lineup. Even when Sandfort came around Fran never moved Tony back over or Peyton back into the lineup. And we had a seven week stretch of exhilarating games that supported Fran's decision. Just didn't work out well at the end

2 bigs and best player available. Combo guard, we need more shooters though I think that will get better with 2 Sandfort's and Dix looking to contribute more next season.

I am sure he didn't want to RS. RS are used strategically and often times has nothing to do with what a coach wants to do. I would say him not RS Bowen or trying to force that hopefully plays to the poker hand that coaches have to juggle in today's current environment where transferring takes very little work and it takes just one instance to piss a guy off..... but retention and keeping the guys you have takes a TREMENDOUS effort and a lot of good management and finesse and I am sure it's situational and I would say that the coach has very little over that ultimate decision.
If you RS a player in mid career for non medical reason today, he's gonna bail.

With today's portal best thing is to throw a player in there and see if he sinks or swims. And if he isn't a fit for the program or coach for any reason, the sooner found out the better.

In one way it's a shame because players, especially big, develop late. Redshirting for Jepsen and Lohaus and Acie Earl (in Brad's case mid career) did wonders for all three of them just to name Iowa examples.

But as Lou Reed once said...those were different tmes.

My memory might be escaping me, but come to think of it, under Fran, I don't think we have had a really effective point guard. In the past it's been more of a "by committee" point guard. We've seen Touissant, CMc, JBo, Uhlis, Perkins, and even Bowen.

Is it the offense or the philosophy? We seem to have an abundance of 2's and 3's. Just not that pure point guard that seems to mesh with Fran's style. Not sure if that is a Fran thing or a miss with recruiting.
His best may have been Bryce Cartwright. But Bryce had little talent around him until it was too late to matter much.

Negative Nancy's for years claimed that the presence of Fran's kids on the horizon scared many point guard prospects away. It was an argument for years from lazy posters.

Fran is a big fan of versatility, so his recruiting tends to focus on long swing players that can play 2-4, and even at times the 1. Whether that is a smart strategy or not plays out over games and seasons. For instance, bringing in a quick penetrator at the one may improve perimeter defense and allow for more drive and kicks on offense, but, in man defense, that smaller quicker player can get exploited as a matchup liability. When you have length, you can switch with impunity. So, it's kind of a pick your poison scenario.

That said, anyone who has watched Kansas State this season has seen the kind of mayhem a small quick PG can bring to a defense. Nowell is something like 5' 8" but is a complete beast. I'd love to see someone like that in black and gold.

Perkins wears his emotions on his sleeve, which is his greatest asset and greatest albatross. When juiced he turns in mind blowing minutes like last years BTT, or the Michigan State OT. When sour he disappears from games and has heated conversations with Fran on the bench

I'm sure those who love to connect dots took one look at his body language and insinuated that as a hint he was looking to leave.

Fran has conducted exit interviews by now. If someone announces portal intentions now, it won't be because Fran didn't promise him a prominent role.
I don't get the Perkins thing. I'm not sure why people are thinking he could leave. He played a role and got some good minutes. He'd be coming back as a veteran while Fran breaks in Harding and company.

I just shrug my shoulders because it is basically free agency. The way I understand it is that he can only get so much NIL/collective money by staying at Iowa. Translation, he can get more money from other schools, is he getting those offers I have no idea.

I think that's Harding.

Nowell is thick and muscular for his size, Harding isn’t built that way. There will be an adjustment period for Harding…I have no clue how long that adjustment period will take.

Latest posts