Ahron Ulis, Josh Ogundele in Portal

I think they’re slightly nudged out because the coaching staff knows they need more production offensively from that spot. He was told where he stood, a big part of their plans but it’d be an open competition and they need points.
But typically in the last several years, they don't really. They have seemed to generate enough offensive production. It has always fell on the defense to hold teams under 75 - 80 pts. They need that quick defender on the other team's best player to neutralize said player.

Now, I suppose you are correct they need a solid 3rd option when Iowa's first two are defended. I can buy into that.

Freshman pgs that play usually either come in with their hair on fire like Joe Toussiant and just play overly aggressive all the time (come to find out that was a large part of his game) or they are a tad on the timid side afraid to make a mistake. Bowen didn't really play enough and Fran kinda bungled how to handle his mins. He shoulda been getting 10-15 every game but instead he went several games without playing at all and barely playing when he did.

I kinda agree. There are a few games where I distinctly remember Uhlis and Bowen or Perkins in at the same time where Iowa would make some runs, triggered the the defense they were playing with their quickness and smothering players.

Yeah time will tell that's the thing right there.... I guess we could nitpick over different spots where Bowen could've played more. All I know is damn near every min Ulis played that wasn't against PSU was a waste. He just brought so little to the table.

It felt like if coming into the yr that if all Bowen was going to play was what he did they should've just redshirted him. I will counter what I just said though with by not doing so it does stagger him and Nimmers who did RS and they'll be a yr difference with incoming Harding. Along with the unknown of who might they be bringing in from the portal. I assume they aren't looking for just a big or 2 I bet they go for a guard too

2 bigs and best player available. Combo guard, we need more shooters though I think that will get better with 2 Sandfort's and Dix looking to contribute more next season.

I am sure he didn't want to RS. RS are used strategically and often times has nothing to do with what a coach wants to do. I would say him not RS Bowen or trying to force that hopefully plays to the poker hand that coaches have to juggle in today's current environment where transferring takes very little work and it takes just one instance to piss a guy off..... but retention and keeping the guys you have takes a TREMENDOUS effort and a lot of good management and finesse and I am sure it's situational and I would say that the coach has very little over that ultimate decision.

2 bigs and best player available. Combo guard, we need more shooters though I think that will get better with 2 Sandfort's and Dix looking to contribute more next season.

I am sure he didn't want to RS. RS are used strategically and often times has nothing to do with what a coach wants to do. I would say him not RS Bowen or trying to force that hopefully plays to the poker hand that coaches have to juggle in today's current environment where transferring takes very little work and it takes just one instance to piss a guy off..... but retention and keeping the guys you have takes a TREMENDOUS effort and a lot of good management and finesse and I am sure it's situational and I would say that the coach has very little over that ultimate decision.

Due to the points above about the ease of transferring now, I wonder if red shirting is eventually going to go by the wayside for most players. They might hear of the plan to redshirt and not even sign on the line or if they do, than leave. I think it is going to drastically decline.

Due to the points above about the ease of transferring now, I wonder if red shirting is eventually going to go by the wayside for most players. They might hear of the plan to redshirt and not even sign on the line or if they do, than leave. I think it is going to drastically decline.
For sure, it makes sense for a guy like Nimmers, as he is a walk on and someday wants to contribute to the actual court and that's going to take a longer time, a lot of work and even then, it's not a guarantee that he will ever see the court.

But look at Mulvey. He hasn't barely seen the floor, no RS. Ya think Fran and staff asked him to RS? I would guess that they did, but they aren't ultimately making that decision for guys. They can suggest it and sell it and lay out a plan but IMO, ultimately not up to the coach.

Also, Mulvey leaving would make a lot of sense still for me. I think Fran still sees a path to the court for him but at the same time, I think the staff realizes they need to majorly upgrade the talent if they expect to compete next season, which I am sure is their #1 priority....get to the dance again. No building for the future anymore in CBB

To a large degree yes. It's circumstantial still though. They'll be big guys that need a yr (like JO and Mulvey) still. And then kids that are coming off an injury in HS that could take advantage of it. But yeah most kids that are any good not to mention the ones that just think they are all want to play and play alot right away

I enjoyed the players we had, and like every new season time to see whats ahead and who can come in play some hoops for us.........a kinda suffering group of alums and fans.

For sure, it makes sense for a guy like Nimmers, as he is a walk on and someday wants to contribute to the actual court and that's going to take a longer time, a lot of work and even then, it's not a guarantee that he will ever see the court.

But look at Mulvey. He hasn't barely seen the floor, no RS. Ya think Fran and staff asked him to RS? I would guess that they did, but they aren't ultimately making that decision for guys. They can suggest it and sell it and lay out a plan but IMO, ultimately not up to the coach.
Mulvey should have redshirted his freshman year, IMO. He came in having reclassified a year earlier than he would have otherwise graduated HS. That situation, combined with his physique not being ready, screamed for a RS year. I would have thought he would've wanted it but I agree with you, he is most likely the one who nixed the idea.

My memory might be escaping me, but come to think of it, under Fran, I don't think we have had a really effective point guard. In the past it's been more of a "by committee" point guard. We've seen Touissant, CMc, JBo, Uhlis, Perkins, and even Bowen.

Is it the offense or the philosophy? We seem to have an abundance of 2's and 3's. Just not that pure point guard that seems to mesh with Fran's style. Not sure if that is a Fran thing or a miss with recruiting.

I'd say equal on offense and Joe T was a better defender.
We were better with a Jordan Bohannon at the 1 then with either of these guys though IMO. Think about that. I mean, it's debatable...but the knock on Fran is he hasn't been able to get athletic 1's. Then he went and got 2 quick ones that could defend and get in the lane just like everyone wanted. Neither worked out and left with eligibility. I'd rather have a guy who can score vs. an athletic PG that can only defend and can't score and I think that's probably where Fran is too

My memory might be escaping me, but come to think of it, under Fran, I don't think we have had a really effective point guard. In the past it's been more of a "by committee" point guard. We've seen Touissant, CMc, JBo, Uhlis, Perkins, and even Bowen.

Is it the offense or the philosophy? We seem to have an abundance of 2's and 3's. Just not that pure point guard that seems to mesh with Fran's style. Not sure if that is a Fran thing or a miss with recruiting.
Jbo was pretty effective at least offensively -

Mike Gessell or Anthony Clemmons were both better than JT or AU imo

We were better with a Jordan Bohannon at the 1 then with either of these guys though IMO. Think about that. I mean, it's debatable...but the knock on Fran is he hasn't been able to get athletic 1's. Then he went and got 2 quick ones that could defend and get in the lane just like everyone wanted. Neither worked out and left with eligibility. I'd rather have a guy who can score vs. an athletic PG that can only defend and can't score and I think that's probably where Fran is too
100% Fran agreed when he put JBo back in the starting lineup over him too. I think Fran was hoping JT would develop and fit the uptempto style he'd like to play well and be better at the defensive end. But his lack of shooting outside and poor decision making on O overall made him not as dependable. Even when JBo was cold he still was pretty good about not turning it over and passing well. His threat at shooting held value even when he wasn't hitting. Neither were perfect but I think we'd all have made same decisions Fran did regarding them

Jbo was pretty effective at least offensively -

Mike Gessell or Anthony Clemmons were both better than JT or AU imo
1000% yes. Woulda rather had either of them then AU this yr.... Be it their JR or Sr yrs version of themselves. Clemmons I believe is still playing pro ball over seas. He was sneaky good and athletic on O and a solid defender. Great teammate that played within himself and his role. I'd take a guy like him on every team to start or come off the bench.

Mulvey should have redshirted his freshman year, IMO. He came in having reclassified a year earlier than he would have otherwise graduated HS. That situation, combined with his physique not being ready, screamed for a RS year. I would have thought he would've wanted it but I agree with you, he is most likely the one who nixed the idea.
In hindsight, yeah. Red shirt. But: what if Filip gets hurt?

Yet, last year when it was money time it was Perk at the point and JBo running off screens at the 2.

Yet, last year when it was money time it was Perk at the point and JBo running off screens at the 2.
They tinkered with that for stretches games. But it wasn't like for games at a time that's what they did. Jbo pretty much always ended up with the ball more often then not.