After Attending the Game on Sunday, Here's Some Thoughts and Observations

Barta had the chance to make things right a few years ago when they remodeled Carver. He could have moved the students around the court like Michigan/MSU etc.... But instead he sold out to the big wigs for a few extra bucks. Worst move he's made as AD IMO.

Not really.

Talked to a buddy of mine today who went to the Minnesota game Saturday. He did not have tickets, so had to hit up the scalpers. He said he walked around Carver and there were exactly 7 tickets available for sale. Got pretty good seats, but had to pay $125/ ticket. Pricey, but glad to see the Hawkeye basketball is a hot ticket again

Talked to a buddy of mine today who went to the Minnesota game Saturday. He did not have tickets, so had to hit up the scalpers. He said he walked around Carver and there were exactly 7 tickets available for sale. Got pretty good seats, but had to pay $125/ ticket. Pricey, but glad to see the Hawkeye basketball is a hot ticket again

Yep, I seen 3 guys who were trying to buy/sell tickets before the Minnesota game. The first time I have seen scalpers at Carver in quite a while. I know a few season ticket holders who practically paid their entire season by selling their tickets on stubhub.

But next home game against MSU is still reasonable, the last time I looked Stubhub had them for as low as $45. I am sure a lot has to do with the fact the game is played during the week.

Barta had the chance to make things right a few years ago when they remodeled Carver. He could have moved the students around the court like Michigan/MSU etc.... But instead he sold out to the big wigs for a few extra bucks. Worst move he's made as AD IMO.

You do realize Barta hired Lickliter, right?

I like Barta and think he has done some great things, especially in regards to fundraising and renovations but that was a terrible hire.

Don't suppose it's in the plans to tear down Carver ( keeping in mind that the connected basketball facility would be kept) and rebuilding a louder more conducive facility for b-ball games...eh?

Also, I hear you on the North Face Comment. There not just there...there freaking everywhere! No originality....The mob follows what the rest of the mob does. That's why I won't buy a NF jacket anytime soon.

Thats a ridonkulous amount of coin to shell out to go sit in an empty Carver Hawkeye Arena. You should have told your buddy Iowa played on Sunday.

A reseat would be nice but they need to redesign those pull out bleachers to stretch all the way to the edge of the court. Build them out of the loudest aluminum they can find. You can get a way with having the student behind the baskets but just get them closer to the action. There is no reason to have that much walking room around the court.

Someone posted this picture in another thread:

th

Now THAT is how you design a good student section. Notice how little walking room there is around the court.

Yes this is a great example. That is my point, when remodeling Carver that was prime time to restructure some things. I would think we could take out a row of seats or two behind the students also somehow so fans behind them can see. We still could have had a very nice midcourt section somehow for the big donors. With all that space behind the baskets, I wonder if it is possible to have almost a "mosh pit" type area that is just for students who want to stand right down by the court in that area? Yeah if a tall kid is in front of you the view might not be great but many students wouldn't care.

You do realize Barta hired Lickliter, right?

I like Barta and think he has done some great things, especially in regards to fundraising and renovations but that was a terrible hire.

Ha ha, yeah I should have clarified... worst move regarding the fan aspects of games, coaching/personnel decisions aside.

Love the Hawks, but I would have turned around and gone home.

It's ironic that in football we have the proper stadium with the seating being right on top of the field. In basketball not so much. Like Iowa States problem but reverse.

I say implode Carver and build a noise making arena... let's get the pitch forks and torches out.. Whose with me!!!

Don't suppose it's in the plans to tear down Carver ( keeping in mind that the connected basketball facility would be kept) and rebuilding a louder more conducive facility for b-ball games...eh?

I doubt this will happen anytime soon. Besides these problems we are mentioning are all fixable with the current facilities. Walls could be built around the top behind the last row of seats and the metal bleachers could be redesigned to bring the students in closer.

I think it's the fact that there are a million other songs to pick from is what bothers me about it. It just seems lazy and uninformed to use that song.

Should we stop selling hotdogs because we can sell other stuff and the clone sell them?? Beethoven would be a nice touch, but it's hard to sing to

Yes this is a great example. That is my point, when remodeling Carver that was prime time to restructure some things. I would think we could take out a row of seats or two behind the students also somehow so fans behind them can see. We still could have had a very nice midcourt section somehow for the big donors. With all that space behind the baskets, I wonder if it is possible to have almost a "mosh pit" type area that is just for students who want to stand right down by the court in that area? Yeah if a tall kid is in front of you the view might not be great but many students wouldn't care.

Pretty sure that is illegal due to soccer stadium disasters caused by those kind of sections (but I may be incorrect).

Yeah, but Im sure theyre being yelled at

CVw8bzC.gif

You can be loud without standing up the whole game. Standing up ruins the game for old people and kids. Sitting down doesn't ruin the game for anybody. Everybody is cheering for the same team be courteous to the people behind you.

CVw8bzC.gif

You can be loud without standing up the whole game. Standing up ruins the game for old people and kids. Sitting down doesn't ruin the game for anybody. Everybody is cheering for the same team be courteous to the people behind you.

Can you see a blue hair putting a tennie up your buns:)

We attended the game Sunday against the Gooophers. CHA was very quiet in the first half, and then reasonably loud the second half as Iowa played better and better.

Near the end of the first half, I started yelling at the people around me to stand up and support the team. A real donut bag sitting next to me said this: "Well, I won't cheer until they give us something to cheer about."

Sad to say, this is the attitude of many of the Iowa basketball fans. They just don't get it. The crowd is supposed to pick up the team, not vice versa.

And to think we have such great crowds at Kinnick. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Also, I hear you on the North Face Comment. There not just there...there freaking everywhere! No originality....The mob follows what the rest of the mob does. That's why I won't buy a NF jacket anytime soon.

Yeah, I get a kick out of all these people who wear North Face like they have climbed the North Face in the Himalayas.

Anyone know the original North Face clothing story? Was it a small startup based on outfitting adventurers in cold, brutal climates? Which has now taken over suburbia.

Pretty sure that is illegal due to soccer stadium disasters caused by those kind of sections (but I may be incorrect).

Not sure but I know I've seen many concerts that have an area of only standing, including some state fairs up by stage.