After Attending the Game on Sunday, Here's Some Thoughts and Observations

You can be loud without standing up the whole game. Standing up ruins the game for old people and kids. Sitting down doesn't ruin the game for anybody. Everybody is cheering for the same team be courteous to the people behind you.

Do us a favor and watch the game at home!

We attended the game Sunday against the Gooophers. CHA was very quiet in the first half, and then reasonably loud the second half as Iowa played better and better.

Near the end of the first half, I started yelling at the people around me to stand up and support the team. A real donut bag sitting next to me said this: "Well, I won't cheer until they give us something to cheer about."

Sad to say, this is the attitude of many of the Iowa basketball fans. They just don't get it. The crowd is supposed to pick up the team, not vice versa.

And to think we have such great crowds at Kinnick. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The Kinnick reputation is a fallacy. It's quiet as CHA on first and second downs, with the crowd promptly going quiet again after a short 3rd down conversion. It's as if people don't realize pumping up the team and disrupting the opponent on 1st and 2nd will improve our odds of getting off the field on 3rd. Sitting in CHA can be frustrating because the crowd just doesn't understand home court advantage.

COPYING LITTLE BROTHER: This was before the game started, and this was by far the most disappointing aspect of my experience at CHA this time around, but the Iowa Band played, I kid you not, “Sweet Caroline.†The rumors are true. How this can happen, I do not know. But somebody with some kind of connections, please enlighten the Band Leader, and politely inform them that that song, that eardrum-stabbing song, is an Iowa State song. Hell, it’s THE Iowa State song. It’s theirs. For the love of Herkey, and all things black and gold, let them have it. There is no reason why that song should EVER be played at a home Hawkeye game, basketball or otherwise.

Maybe you should tell the Boston Red Sox. Every home game in the "8th inning stretch" they play Sweet Caroline. They have for years.

LOW CEILING ATMOSPHERE: When compared to “Hilton Magicâ€, it’s easy to see why CHA’s atmosphere can seem like a library sometimes. That is, a library who’s patrons are mostly crickets reading books about tumbleweeds (which was definitely not the case on Sunday). First, the overall structure of CHA does not help.

You also can't ignore the past 6-8 years. The teams were bad before Fran came here. The crowds showed up accordingly, plus there was less to cheer about. Less fans + less exciting plays = less noise.

But I agree... GO HAWKS!

MSU students try too hard to be like Duke jumping up and down in place. They should stick to their "YES, YES, YES, YES" chant. You can never go wrong with a pro wrestling rip off.

MSU students try too hard to be like Duke jumping up and down in place. They should stick to their "YES, YES, YES, YES" chant. You can never go wrong with a pro wrestling rip off.

Better than nothing. I don't care if our students made noises by putting their hands in their armpits, just do something!

Better than nothing. I don't care if our students made noises by putting their hands in their armpits, just do something!

3 things.

Yes, just be loud.

Whoever made the decision to play Sweet Caroline needs to be fired on the spot. Hopefully blackballed so they can never work again and have to live in a dumpster.

If you have a problem with people standing up and cheering, you have no business being at the game, you need to stay home and let real fans actually cheer on the team. You get a better view from the tv, if you're not gonna stand up yelling and screaming while cheering on the team you are stupid person for spending the money on tickets. Not only that, but you are hurting the team by not giving us a homecourt advantage. If you have a problem with people standing up, you aren't a Hawkeye fan, and I don't care for you as a person.

3 things.

Yes, just be loud.

Whoever made the decision to play Sweet Caroline needs to be fired on the spot. Hopefully blackballed so they can never work again and have to live in a dumpster.

If you have a problem with people standing up and cheering, you have no business being at the game, you need to stay home and let real fans actually cheer on the team. You get a better view from the tv, if you're not gonna stand up yelling and screaming while cheering on the team you are stupid person for spending the money on tickets. Not only that, but you are hurting the team by not giving us a homecourt advantage. If you have a problem with people standing up, you aren't a Hawkeye fan, and I don't care for you as a person.

Those seats are pretty comfortable, right? Maybe they need to replace them with wooden benches, so it's actually more comfortable to stand the whole time than to sit down. You gotta put the incentives in place, you know?

3 things.

Yes, just be loud.

I agree with everything except the Sweet Caroline song choice, not a personal favorite of mine but many at the game seemed to enjoy it. At the game it was the loudest the crowd got during a timeout.

I think you are replying to the wrong person on the standing thing.

Yeah, I get a kick out of all these people who wear North Face like they have climbed the North Face in the Himalayas.

Anyone know the original North Face clothing story? Was it a small startup based on outfitting adventurers in cold, brutal climates? Which has now taken over suburbia.

The North Face refers to one of the climbing routes on Mt. Everest.

The preponderance of TNF clothing is reminiscent of the rappers donning Timberlands and Doc Martens a decade and a half ago...