Aca'Cedric Ware

So my question is not... why do we keep coming in second on these top recruits. It's...Why do so many of these kids have IOWA in their top 2-5, but not pick us?

If we're that close...

My take, as a life long sales professional.... for all his admirable traits... KFz is not a closer. Just like on the field. No killer instinct.

He is not a closer. He can't close a recruit and he can't close out close games or games in which we are favored by more than 10.

Ray Hamilton, CJF, Tyler Weigers, Faith, Garmon, Jaleel Johnson, Ryan Ward, Jordan Walsh, Coker, Derby and Donnal are all out of state prospects ranked 4 stars by Rivals. These are going back to the class that would be RS seniors this year.

Wasn't Derby from IC?

This guy Ware would have been a huge fish based on his offer list.

And the guy we are getting on Thursday has just as an impressive one, I do believe.

When is the last time iowa landed a big time out of state recruit?

Probably Dan McGwire (California) or Willie Guy (Memphis). If you want one who actually panned out as a decent college player in an Iowa uniform, you probably need to go back to Alex Karras about 60 years ago. He was from Indiana. Before him, you probably have to look at Nile Kinnick, who technically graduated from an Omaha high school (making him an out of stater, but he was from Adel). I guess we could include Calvin Jones as well if we're digging back several decades.

When is the last time iowa landed a big time out of state recruit?

Maybe I am wrong but Wasn't this kid a three star recruit? If so I am not sure that qualifies as a big time recruit. Also some of the few so called big time recruits haven't done so well. Jake C was impressive at QB wasn't he. Then there was the stud four star running back that didn't do squat and ended up leaving the team, can't even remember his name he was so impressive. Didn't he end up on the girls team over in Ames?

Last edited:
Probably Dan McGwire (California) or Willie Guy (Memphis). If you want one who actually panned out as a decent college player in an Iowa uniform, you probably need to go back to Alex Karras about 60 years ago. He was from Indiana. Before him, you probably have to look at Nile Kinnick, who technically graduated from an Omaha high school (making him an out of stater, but he was from Adel). I guess we could include Calvin Jones as well if we're digging back several decades.

Moeaki & Clayborn.

Maybe I am wrong but Wasn't this kid a three star recruit? If so I am not sure that qualifies as a big time recruit. Also some of the few so called big time recruits haven't done so well. Jake C was impressive at QB wasn't he. Then there was the stud four star running back that didn't do squat and ended up leaving the team, can't even remember his me he was so impressive. Didn't he end up on the girls team over in Ames?

who do you trust more - rivals rating scale or this list of schools (not inclusive of his entire list of offers)

Notre Dame
OSU
USC
Florida
Oklahoma
and, don't forget iowa......

many, many more offers on this kids list.

big time recruit? i think so.

who do you trust more - rivals rating scale or this list of schools (not inclusive of his entire list of offers)

Notre Dame
OSU
USC
Florida
Oklahoma
and, don't forget iowa......

many, many more offers on this kids list.

big time recruit? i think so.

That is an impressive list to be sure, so he had something going for him. Since Mr. corruption left USC that program hasn't been quite the same. I would rate some of his other choices as better options.

I believe we landed some big time out of state recruits in 2005. If you're talking about them panning out that's another story.

I don't know if Lazard announced on tv but he definitely took his visits.

plenty of guys commit and then take a visit. it's happened to iowa guys (verbal commits to iowa) before - i know it's nothing new.

BUT....

name the last guy to do the whole TV announcement thing, and top it off with a 'hat selection' and then say they are taking official visits in the fall.

That is my challenge to you.

NW lost their only two 4 star commits today....Dowell twins de-committed from NW and look to be headed to Vandy.

It happens to everyone. We still might land him, but with Markel Smith likely arriving next fall, we will survive.

NW lost their only two 4 star commits today....Dowell twins de-committed from NW and look to be headed to Vandy.

It happens to everyone. We still might land him, but with Markel Smith likely arriving next fall, we will survive.

i'd take it easy on the likely. if the kid can't make the grades in high school, it's no sure bet that it will happen.

of course iowa will survive, but it would have been nice to get a back that all the blue bloods wanted. and nothing against markel smith, but that was not his recruitment.

plenty of guys commit and then take a visit. it's happened to iowa guys (verbal commits to iowa) before - i know it's nothing new.

BUT....

name the last guy to do the whole TV announcement thing, and top it off with a 'hat selection' and then say they are taking official visits in the fall.

That is my challenge to you.

I've seen guys do it when they are actually signing their letter of intent. I have not seen it with verbal commitments.

Latest posts