A former "white" player (Jack Kallenberger) speaks up......it's not good

Status
Not open for further replies.
The types of comments that were made to him are not okay. He is a kid with a learning disability/chemical imbalance that requires medication. You don't think he struggles with that, and might be quite self conscious because of it? Then to be called dumb, stupid, and nicknamed simple Jack by a coach, is simply unacceptable. Would you like your son to be treated in that manner?
None of it is nice. I surely wouldn't. I also don't want him playing for the Hawks. Its ok to say that. I hope he does well in life. All things considered, he wasn't fit to play big time college football. NO ONE is handing out cookies at the horseshoe or big house between plays. Think marines, suppose the enemy cares about feelings? If you want to win, we need guys that can compete. If you want guys who are ok with their feelings move to Ames.

But that's just it, the vast majority of the things I've seen & read are not beyond a reasonable doubt racist remarks. Everyone is making assumptions and framing them as such. Sorry, but telling someone they can't afford a set of golf clubs is hardly racist. Suggesting somebody was gang banging in the offseason isn't necessarily racist either. How do we know Doyle wasn't referring to the other kind gang banging which is entirely plausible? Again, we have no context and are making assumptions.

The only thing I've seen that is 100% without a doubt a racist remark is what Terrance Pryor is claiming Doyle said to him.

While I get what you're saying but it doesn't need to be beyond a reasonable doubt to be considered as a racist comment. So you are right that it may not have been meant as a racist comment, but with that said can you think of any situation in which a coach (educator/mentor) would/should use the phrase gang banging, regardless of context when interacting with a player. Once again even it it wasn't meant to be a racist comment, there is absolutely no place for it in terms of a player/coach relationship. It's offensive and should be offensive in whichever context it's used and there's no place for it.

Have you ever seen anything on the decade of the 60s in the USA?

Would silence have helped get blacks civil rights?

I would like to jump in here if you would be so kind.

In my experience as a 35 year old white male from my earliest memory, racial discrimination has been taught to me as abhorrent. As a youth I was proud of the Civil War and saw it as good conquering evil. I looked up to MLK as a proud American with meaningful and impactful words. I took to heart the principle that no person should be judged by the color of their skin. That individuals should be considered as individuals and judged based off of their individual character. This principle served well throughout my life to separate my angers or frustrations with an individual from manifesting into negative thoughts about generalizations based on race. Which I always considered to be the foundation of racism.

Now to address what I believe others have attempted to if not perhaps less eloquently.

I can't mark the exact time, but in the past decade at some point there became this outspoken notion that to have white skin implied an individual racist nature. That every thought or judgement of an individual was inherently racist if they were of any other race. Almost akin to the religious belief that humans are born in sin. That a white person is born in racism. While I and everyone that I know of every race rejects this notion. I do believe that the idea permeates through media and culture. I believe it exists in its largest form in the media and less so in actual culture, but as it is known the more something is said and propagated the more it will become a belief. Some beliefs are helpful and some are harmful. I believe that the idea of assigning a credo to an individual based off the color of their skin has been proven to be morally wrong. To me the idea is just a mirrored back form of bigotry and racial discrimination on white people. When I see a white person freak out about this I try to determine if it is because this person is in fact racist or simply acting out of fear, confusion or anger. Of course both sides exist. However I believe it to be incredibly logical that some individuals will react negatively and emotionally to any form of implied or applied racial discrimination. I think the more that someone feels under attack the more erratic and potentially dangerous their thoughts and actions can become. So I do see merit in the idea or argument that an impetuous rush to assign racism to the words or actions of an individual with no other defining reason than skin color could be a divisive and dangerous action. I believe this was the nature of the comment from the other poster.

As for Doyle. I believe that his individual character is now rightly in question. The door is wide open to analyze and judge. However to make a fair and accurate judgment I believe skin color should be left out of it. It's just the way that I was taught.

My personal opinions are that finding a racial bias in the actions or words of Doyle might prove too challenging given that the man is known and touted as being a mean cuss. In the mold of a drill instructor. I think it is most likely that this methodology under scrutiny will be determined to be too insensitive. Especially with the undertones of racial insensitivity. I wager that this will be a judgment that the University wishes to distance itself from and Doyle will be let go.

A part of me hopes that no direct racial discrimination is found in the investigations simply to spare my own feelings of shame. As I personally have held Doyle as a man in high regard. That said if discrimination or racial bias are found I will feel yucky for a day or 2. Condemn the man for his thoughts and actions. Applaud the UofI for it's investigation and removal. Then move on. This pretty much goes for any individual within the program.

In my experience as a 35 year old white male from my earliest memory, racial discrimination has been taught to me as abhorrent. As a youth I was proud of the Civil War and saw it as good conquering evil. I looked up to MLK as a proud American with meaningful and impactful words. I took to heart the principle that no person should be judged by the color of their skin. That individuals should be considered as individuals and judged based off of their individual character. This principle served well throughout my life to separate my angers or frustrations with an individual from manifesting into negative thoughts about generalizations based on race. Which I always considered to be the foundation of racism.

Now to address what I believe others have attempted to if not perhaps less eloquently.

I can't mark the exact time, but in the past decade at some point there became this outspoken notion that to have white skin implied an individual racist nature. That every thought or judgement of an individual was inherently racist if they were of any other race. Almost akin to the religious belief that humans are born in sin. That a white person is born in racism. While I and everyone that I know of every race rejects this notion. I do believe that the idea permeates through media and culture. I believe it exists in its largest form in the media and less so in actual culture, but as it is known the more something is said and propagated the more it will become a belief. Some beliefs are helpful and some are harmful. I believe that the idea of assigning a credo to an individual based off the color of their skin has been proven to be morally wrong. To me the idea is just a mirrored back form of bigotry and racial discrimination on white people. When I see a white person freak out about this I try to determine if it is because this person is in fact racist or simply acting out of fear, confusion or anger. Of course both sides exist. However I believe it to be incredibly logical that some individuals will react negatively and emotionally to any form of implied or applied racial discrimination. I think the more that someone feels under attack the more erratic and potentially dangerous their thoughts and actions can become. So I do see merit in the idea or argument that an impetuous rush to assign racism to the words or actions of an individual with no other defining reason than skin color could be a divisive and dangerous action. I believe this was the nature of the comment from the other poster.

As for Doyle. I believe that his individual character is now rightly in question. The door is wide open to analyze and judge. However to make a fair and accurate judgment I believe skin color should be left out of it. It's just the way that I was taught.

My personal opinions are that finding a racial bias in the actions or words of Doyle might prove too challenging given that the man is known and touted as being a mean cuss. In the mold of a drill instructor. I think it is most likely that this methodology under scrutiny will be determined to be too insensitive. Especially with the undertones of racial insensitivity. I wager that this will be a judgment that the University wishes to distance itself from and Doyle will be let go.

A part of me hopes that no direct racial discrimination is found in the investigations simply to spare my own feelings of shame. As I personally have held Doyle as a man in high regard. That said if discrimination or racial bias are found I will feel yucky for a day or 2. Condemn the man for his thoughts and actions. Applaud the UofI for it's investigation and removal. Then move on. This pretty much goes for any individual within the program.
Very well said. I live by the same code of ethics. It's very frustrating to grow up thinking racist people are douchebags your whole life, and always treating black people with respect, then suddenly a big movement hits and you're called a racist because you have slightly different opinions (opinions that are shared by many black people). I agree with someone earlier who said treating someone like that has a better chance of making someone racist than it does converting them to be more woke.

I like your post. But you are missing the point. This isnt about you and me not being racist. This is about a country that systematically holds down a race. All of them? No. But a large portion.

Do you think they would be raising this much of a stink if they were satisfied with their position in our society?
Or do you think they are radical trying to take away your comfortable life?

The black community has more people in jail than any other race, they have more poverty, they have less 2 parent homes. Is this your fault? No. Is this the fault of our society? Yes.

This isnt an individual is racist issue, this is a larger problem than that, this is a societal issue.

When me and you can go out and make a difference. Then things change. When we say how accepting amd not racist we are on a message board, it is just words.

You know, everyone in this country has a choice to either be a victim and blame everyone and everything else for where they are in life or you take do something about it and make the life that you want. Everyone of us in this country was dealt a different hand, some better than others. And as great as this country is and as great as life is, there are no guarantees and it all comes down to what you make of it.

So if you are the type of person that wants things given to you and not having to earn it, there is no way that anyone can ever give you enough. It's a disease really, a poison, to expect things to be handed to you because once that gets embedded in you and you justify that by how wronged you are, it is really hard to let that go.

You mentioned before about black people not having very good schools, which then makes them learn at a slower rate, making them get behind and not able to go to college and then not being able to get a good paying job, so they live a life of poverty. Do you really believe that? There are so many programs to help the under privileged children (my wife is a social worker) academically and financially, but they have to want it. That is the key, they have to want it.

I like many of your posts. But your statement that “they have to want it” is so wrong that on that topic, you are in another universe from reality. Please tell me that you do not believe that is the answer to the issue of racism in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts