A dose of reality for Iowa football

Whar RedHawk? I thrown down the actual stats, and he gone.

1000 Viesels says he's searching for proof of his claim, and will likely come back with a Bleacher Report article written by some guy named Herb.

Whar RedHawk? I thrown down the actual stats, and he gone.

1000 Viesels says he's searching for proof of his claim, and will likely come back with a Bleacher Report article written by some guy named Herb.

You keep working at it, and someday you'll get an article on the Bleacher Report too!

The love that most people have for Iowa football does go beyond just the games themselves. The tailgating, the atmosphere etc. etc, have a lot to do with it.

I mean, we sucked hard this year and I still would have loved to have been at every game. I can't say the same for basketball (and I like basketball more than football)

Also it friggen frezzing out during basketball season here. So no tailgating

6-6 next year is very likely, with blowout losses again to Mich and Ohio State. wonder how restless the fanbase will get then.

also, great give and give there with Herby guys. proud of ya for laying down the law.

Good post and spot on. Iowa has a long way to go to get back to where it used to be. Watching all of these games today highlighted the fact of how far we have fallen. So many other teams are simply flat out fun to watch. Aggressive play calling, mobile quarterbacks, incredible speed on both sides of the ball. Of course, we will all remain Hawkeye fans. Fans will (for the most part) continue to fill the stadium. But, I know I am foregoing my season tickets next year. I simply can't justify the time and money to see a poor product. I will be watching the Hawks every Saturday ... just not at Kinnick.

I may not know it all as you claim. I an just being realistic
by beating those 4 teams put Iowa at 8-4 and in a bowl
winning or losing is such a small margin for error
We didn't have a chance at winning those games because of the way KF coached them. He played it to keep the game as close as possible. We never were going to win them. You conveniently forget how easily we could have been blown out of alot of those games. The other teams made numerous mistakes that allowed the score to be much closer. Our inept offense could muster nothing against some of the worst defenses in the country.

6-6 next year is very likely, with blowout losses again to Mich and Ohio State. wonder how restless the fanbase will get then.

also, great give and give there with Herby guys. proud of ya for laying down the law.
6 wins is the ceiling next year.

Also, I know Herby is pretty frustrating, but he did survive a stroke, which obviously affects him some.

I was at the game Friday, as many who vent their frustrations were, and everything about the offense was frustrating to watch particularly the last time Iowa had the ball and the wind. Neb D had a safety deep watching KD and a corner up watching H Krieger-koble. We had run this same play about 2 plays earlier for a 4 yd gain and the pass was almost picked off were it not for a great grab. So, we ran the same play and of course the Neb defender knew it was coming and simply stepped in front of it, BTW a skinny post down the middle by Davis would have resulted in a TD as Neb completely vacated the middle deep. Frustrating is the best I can say about the offensive scheme...more like HEINOUS is the proper word. GD might be the worst OC I've seen since KOK. And statistics would prove HawkeyeNation correct. I'm not totally sold on Parker either but because of the wind he probably keeps his job next year.

Also, a couple times JVB checked into those bad running plays folks. You'll also note we didn't run any 2 minute or hurry up or hang huddle whatever you want to call it to keep Nebraska from substituting nickel packages. While many Hawkeye fans have won about 0 games coaching we know stupid when we see stupid.

also under TATE in 2004 Iowa's offense was rated 83rd with 2 other teams
with Stanzi in 2009 OB winning seasons the Offense was rated 83rd
Iowa has never been a strong point on offense, KF teams win with Defense

I agree that our offense has sucked the entire time under ferentz. Every game is played close to the vest in the hope we win by 3 points. Most times, we don't win. Offense wins games, period. Maybe 1 or 2 teams a year have a defense capable of holding the other team consistently under 21 points a game. Hell, indiana scored 49 on ohio state! Alabama scored 49 points yesterday. Northwestern scored in the 50's! Either get a coach who will open up the offense or find a new coach. The past isn't coming back, and you either move forward or become a TAPE DECK/VHS/DODO BIRD!

That conservative approach is also going to hurt Iowa in recruiting and already has

Amen to this. H.S. kids want to play in fun, uptempo offensive schemes that score points! WRs, Qb's, RB's want to play for teams like OREGON, TX A&M, Ok. State, and even Northwestern & Ia State. Teams that actually Score points on Offense. Teams that can score 30 points in a game and do so on a regular basis. Kids do not want to come play for a boring, bland, vanilla offensive scheme unless you are ALABAMA.

Alabama can get away with a basic offense because of all the NFL talent. They can impose their will. Teams that do not have the talent of Alabama, have to be CREATIVE and INVENTIVE and do things on Offense to make the other teams Defense have to work hard to prepare for you and to adjust to what you are doing.

Right now, Northwestern and IA State are much more appealing places to play if you are a H.S. WR, RB, QB or even TE.

Sad situation right now, but as tough as this is to admit, NW and IA State are better football programs than IA right now.

Great post, was just discussing those same points with my dad as we discussed renewing our Iowa season tickets. I love the Hawks, but its hard to justify spending the money we spend on medicore football. There are many other more viable options it seems these days.

#iowafootballisitworththe$$$

also under TATE in 2004 Iowa's offense was rated 83rd with 2 other teams
with Stanzi in 2009 OB winning seasons the Offense was rated 83rd
Iowa has never been a strong point on offense, KF teams win with Defense

As long as you're reaching back that far in the history books, let's just be clear about one thing. Iowa won the Capital One bowl game DESPITE Kirk Ferentz's coaching, not BECAUSE of it. With the clock winding down with 9 seconds left to play, Iowa could have, and probably should have, called a timeout to try to run two plays, if necessary. Instead, Tate lined up under center, took the snap, a defender slipped on coverage, and, well, you know the rest.

Yes, Iowa won. But as much as anything, it was a result of luck, not grand game management by the Iowa coaching staff.

We've seen that over and over with Ferentz. Some times it works, as it did in that game. Many moar times it does not.

Just wanted to say this was an excellent post by the OP. I haven't read the entire thread yet but looks like great discussion has been engaged.

Latest posts