A bit disappointed with no PG addition

hawkIhoops

Have to admit I am disappointed that no PG (it would appear) will be added for the upcoming season. Regardless of the new players and improvements by existing players, the team depends on Cartwright to make things happen. If he goes down for an extended period of time, we are hosed. Our margin for error to have any shot at an NIT bid is very small, so losing 2 or 3 due to Cartwright being injured, in foul trouble, the flu, cramps, alien abduction, etc., could cost us dearly.

Have to trust McCaffrey on this one, but it is puzzling.

I'm a little disappointed but if u look at our roster, we have great depth at the 2 and 3 positions and all those guys are versatile athletes. I would be concerned if we ran a half court offense but with Marble, Hubbard, White, Gatens, May, Ogelsby, we have a collection of ball handlers that can initiate the break.

Hubbard and Marble can play the point, but it's not good if they are. Their strengths are off the ball. I'm still confused on why we pulled Glover's offer. It seemed like there was a good shot of him coming here. I don't know why we wouldn't want him for 2 seasons.

Hubbard and Marble can play the point, but it's not good if they are. Their strengths are off the ball. I'm still confused on why we pulled Glover's offer. It seemed like there was a good shot of him coming here. I don't know why we wouldn't want him for 2 seasons.

He would have been here for 3 seasons and I think he is also more of a wing and he and Hubbard would be more of the same position

What makes you think he could handle any better than Hubbard?

Tough to say there's no commit. Fran's such a gamer that it wouldn't surprise me to see him ink a very serviceable point guard in July or even as late as August. He's got such an ability to identify under-the-radar talent.

He was a walk on last year who never saw action even after Payne got hurt. I don't know if he has earned a spot yet. I heard that he was trying to get back to the University and it appears he was successful at that being that he is associated with Iowa on the website.

Just remember that when Bryce went down against Purdue, Iowa actually closed the margin with Marble at the helm. Also, remember when Fran benched the starters against Wisconsin after the horrible start and Marble was at the point when Iowa began to steady themselves and come back? Is Marble's future at PG, who knows, but one thing I do know is he is aggressive and seems to have put in a lot of work on his shot, which was the worst part of his game last year, so I don't feel too bad that there is no other PG coming in. Marble knows the system and has a year of experience under his belt.

Just remember that when Bryce went down against Purdue, Iowa actually closed the margin with Marble at the helm. Also, remember when Fran benched the starters against Wisconsin after the horrible start and Marble was at the point when Iowa began to steady themselves and come back? Is Marble's future at PG, who knows, but one thing I do know is he is aggressive and seems to have put in a lot of work on his shot, which was the worst part of his game last year, so I don't feel too bad that there is no other PG coming in. Marble knows the system and has a year of experience under his belt.

Exactly, Marble is more than serviceable to run the point for 10 minutes a game.

And Ricky Williams can take a few snaps in the wildcat to cover for an injured Pennington, but that doesn't make Ricky a QB. I get that we have other guys that are capable of stepping in for a few minutes here and there, but my post was about Cartwright being out for multiple games, not multiple minutes.

As far as citing 1-2 games where we were getting blown out with Cartwright on the floor then closed the gap with someone else at the point, that is not apples to apples. We closed the gap against Purdue from what 25 to 15 with DArch and Stoermer on the floor, but I am not counting on them for major minutes for the upcoming season.

I share your concern. We are thin at pg and center,and thick everywhere else.
We must all pray for Bryce's health...I know he sprained an ankle at PTL the other nite...he cannot have any injuries during the season or we are in big trouble.

Fran is still trying to clear Lick's players. After this year only May will be left. There are five open rides, with only one taken. Pretty clear two need to go to guys that are more than serviceable PGs. 2 need to go to bigs. And it would be great to find an athletic rim hawk.

Don't be so concerned about this year. Fran has cobbled together a team. They will be able to compete to an extent. But this isn't yet a team built with guys who can really be successful in this system. Now, if Fran can't add these pieces in November, then you can worry.

Fran is still trying to clear Lick's players. After this year only May will be left. There are five open rides, with only one taken. Pretty clear two need to go to guys that are more than serviceable PGs. 2 need to go to bigs. And it would be great to find an athletic rim hawk.

Don't be so concerned about this year. Fran has cobbled together a team. They will be able to compete to an extent. But this isn't yet a team built with guys who can really be successful in this system. Now, if Fran can't add these pieces in November, then you can worry.

Interesting observation on only May being left. I didn't really think about that.

I also agree, if Fran doesn't add two PGs this summer/fall, then fans can start worrying.

Do you basketball recruiting "gurus" think that Gesell (sp?) and Woodbury are going to pull the trigger sooner than later, or are they going to wait and see what Fran is going to do in year 2?