A bit disappointed with no PG addition

Do you basketball recruiting "gurus" think that Gesell (sp?) and Woodbury are going to pull the trigger sooner than later, or are they going to wait and see what Fran is going to do in year 2?
I'm not a recruiting guru, but I would be floored if Woodbury doesn't decide before the summer. Gesell shouldn't be far behind on his choice either.

I still think Iowa gets both. Something I've maintain since their recruitment started. Doesn't mean I am right, just my thoughts.

I completely trust Fran (not that it matters to anyone). Not sure if Marble is a starter but we will want to get him minutes whether @ the 1,2,3. Also, we want to get Ogelsby on the court. Fran changes defense enough that we don't necessarily have to worry as much about some of these off guards defending PGs.

I think we get both Mike Gesell and Adam Woodbury but Woodbury is blowing up right now. It's going to be anxious times until they commit.

I too am very concerned about the backup point position. I think Marble can fill in for, you put in the number of minutes a game, maybe 10-12, but if Cartwright goes down, I think we struggle, a lot. I know coach tried to bring in some guys but just didn't get the players he wanted. I will be very surprised if Cartwright lasts all season without some down time. I hate to waste this coming year but we might have to suffer another sub 500 season so that we get some of the players coach really wants for the next 3-4 years. Patience is difficult but probably what is needed.

I'm not worried about it. With Hub and Marble on the squad, we should be able to cover the PG position even if Bryce went down for a period of time. Hub has good quicks and good handles. He can run the point.

For the upcoming yet I am not worried about the backup pg spot, but it would help if we could bring someone in so they would have experience for the next year. I don't really want to have a true freshman. Marble or hubbard as a full time pg in 2012.

As for the time table for woodbury and gesellto give their commitments, it sounds like woodbury is waiting til late summer or the full before committing. Now for gesell I have no idea but it would surprise me if he waits till late winter to sign.

As far as citing 1-2 games where we were getting blown out with Cartwright on the floor then closed the gap with someone else at the point, that is not apples to apples. We closed the gap against Purdue from what 25 to 15 with DArch and Stoermer on the floor, but I am not counting on them for major minutes for the upcoming season.

The two games that were cited were an Iowa win against Purdue when Iowa held their own with Cartwright playing just over 20 minutes. The other was the Wisconsin game that Iowa lost in OT, not exactly blowout games. The most important shot in the Wisconsin game was hit by Stoermer, but that isn't significant either.
If Cartwright is out for say 5 games or more, then it is a big deal, no matter who the backup PG is. Don't forget the evolution of Bryce from a turnover waiting to happen to the PG that led the Big Ten in assists during conference games. Had he had a better non-conference, he would have been no worse than 2nd team ABT. It isn't easy to replace a guy that good no matter how many other PG's are on your roster.
That said, I am far less worried about the PG situation at the start of this year than last year. Marble can handle the ball, he struggled a bit with physical defenders, but all indications are he has been putting in the time to get stronger. Also, if Hubbard has half the ball skills people say, then he won't be a bad third option as well.
Does that put Marble/Hubbard in their best position, no, but Iowa has depth and better shooting overall than last year, so a move for a period of time will not cripple them in any way.

Have to admit I am disappointed that no PG (it would appear) will be added for the upcoming season. Regardless of the new players and improvements by existing players, the team depends on Cartwright to make things happen. If he goes down for an extended period of time, we are hosed. Our margin for error to have any shot at an NIT bid is very small, so losing 2 or 3 due to Cartwright being injured, in foul trouble, the flu, cramps, alien abduction, etc., could cost us dearly.

Have to trust McCaffrey on this one, but it is puzzling.

If Fran felt he needed another PG for the 2011 season, Fran would have another PG for the 2011 season. Or maybe he already has (see Hubbard)?

One of the main qualities, if not The main quality, that coach looks for in a player is ball handling skills. Everyone of our players can either dribble and/or pass well. All of the players or recruits are known for that. Being able to run the floor is the other "must have" quality, with being a shooter coming in a close 3rd.
Being able to run the floor and handle the ball, by all of the players, greatly diminishes the need for a true PG. The offense calls for all players to be able to move. To be able to create and find other players to score.
That said, BC will not lead the B1G in assists this coming season. Marble & May will have higher averages in assists, contributing more, which will lower BC's assist totals. I would bet on it. Add Hubbard to the mix and BC's assists will definitely drop further. That is a good thing for Hawkeye basketball. From the small amount of info received from PTL, you can already tell that Hubbard knows how to share the ball well, and that Marble & May have improved. That is a very good thing for Hawkeye basketball.

In Fran we trust....

Last edited:
FWIW, I believe both Gesell & Woodbury have said they'd like to make their college decisions by the end of the summer in order to just relax and focus on their senoir seasons.

Fran is still trying to clear Lick's players. After this year only May will be left. There are five open rides, with only one taken. Pretty clear two need to go to guys that are more than serviceable PGs. 2 need to go to bigs. And it would be great to find an athletic rim hawk.

Don't be so concerned about this year. Fran has cobbled together a team. They will be able to compete to an extent. But this isn't yet a team built with guys who can really be successful in this system. Now, if Fran can't add these pieces in November, then you can worry.

You forgot Marble & McCabe. Lick's last two recruits.

You forgot Marble & McCabe. Lick's last two recruits.

Both of these guys could have bolted like Brust and Larson. Also, Fran could have encouraged them to go elsewhere. Accordingly, I count these guys as Fran's guys.

Any new hire coach that keeps incoming recruits he doesn't really want Is a fool.