8 Players Sue for $20 Million

It started like 7 or 8 years ago. There was some point where the kids just hadn't seen it. I have no idea how that is possible. When you're running a project and you say "You screw up this much (pinches fingers together) and you'll be flying cargo planes full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong" and the kids look at you like you're insane, it's easier to just have them watch Top Gun than trying to explain it.

LOL. I totally agree that there are movies that everyone has to watch at least once with absolutely no excuses. Our education system is failing in more ways than one.

A Free college education and the adoration of hundreds of thousands of fans

Is not enough

Shameless Greed rules the day

Anyone who is recruited by the Hawkeyes knows what to expect

Hard-nosed, military-style discipline and conditioning

And for many underrated folk a legitimate path to the NFL

Their attorney looks a bit shifty

Not unlike a used car salesman

4e726eceeab8ea8c44000031

Things might be a bit too PC

:cool:

LOL. I totally agree that there are movies that everyone has to watch at least once with absolutely no excuses. Our education system is failing in more ways than one.

Back in the '80's and '90's we had a lot more common culture and intergenerational cross pollination of pop culture. Everyone knew the theme to the Twilight Zone. Everyone knew Cheers. Everyone had some semblance of a frame of reference to the major shit the Boomers grew up with. Not everything, of course, but the big shit. Like I'm not gonna expect someone born in '93 to know who ALF or Sergeant Frank Poncherello was, but Goose and Mav? John Rambo? Rocky? Come on, man!

We had a new person start a few weeks ago. As is my ritual, I had her watch Top Gun because I like to liberally quote it in work situations. She said "I don't think I would want Maverick as my wing man. He can't be trusted. I think Iceman is the good guy in the movie." I was, and frankly still am, flabbergasted. Maverick is probably the best pilot in the history of the Navy. But her point is if you can't count on Maverick to be where you expect him to be when you expect him to be there, you're better off flying with the inferior Iceman. Not a take I agree with, but I get the logic.

I think guys in the heat of the moment can't understand this. A guy might be a step faster and have a better juke move than the guy ahead of him and immediately wonder why he isn't starting, when he's just blind to the fact that he can't pick up blocks or read the blitz to make the call to peel off and wait for a pass in the flat. The playbook is huge and there are a ton of variables in it and if you don't have the permutations down pat and the guy ahead of you does, but is otherwise not as good as you, you ain't playing.

This is a good point.

I think too often fans see a player make some kind of athletic move, and, solely based upon an observation or two, wonder why that player is sitting behind one of Kirk's walk-on developmental lunch-pail projects that has worked his way onto the field.

It's frustrating for all of us, but we have to remember that there's more to playing WR or RB than just what you can do with the ball in your hands. NFL scouts and GMs look at all of the nuances.

Wadley is actually a very good example. Yes, he had that wiggle and burst, but it took him years before he could be trusted with pass-protection or to run proper routes, and, of course, we all know the issues he had with ball-control early on. Even towards the end of his career, his pass-pro was marginal at best (and that's being kind). I actually posted at the time that I thought his poor pass-pro would limit his NFL chances.

It started like 7 or 8 years ago. There was some point where the kids just hadn't seen it. I have no idea how that is possible. When you're running a project and you say "You screw up this much (pinches fingers together) and you'll be flying cargo planes full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong" and the kids look at you like you're insane, it's easier to just have them watch Top Gun than trying to explain it.

I did. Her comeback was that had Mav not left Coug solo that he would have never been radar locked and had his anxiety episode, then Coug would have went to Top Gun, Mav would have been in a later class where he wasn't trying to one up Ice and Goose wouldn't have died. She also noted that the taxpayers would have one more F-14 in its arsenal under that scenario. She's in her 20's so maybe the education system has really knocked any sense of individuality out of most kids and replaced it with superficial shit like "show your individuality by getting a neck tattoo and dying your hair purple" or some shit. I don't know, man.

Speaking of the failing education system, how is it that kids get out of school without watching seminal documentaries like Top Gun and Rocky? What the hell are they teaching nowadays?
I don’t buy it. The board of inquiry found that Captain Pete Mitchell did not cause the flat spin and once he was in it there was no way he could have recovered goddammit. I heard it with my own ears.

The reason Goose is dead is because of that faulty canopy that didn’t get out of the way by the time the seat came up. Maverick got that plane just stable enough that it lowered the G’s to the point that they could reach the ejection handle. Iceman would have soiled his drawers and gone down in a ball of fire.

Back in the '80's and '90's we had a lot more common culture and intergenerational cross pollination of pop culture. Everyone knew the theme to the Twilight Zone. Everyone knew Cheers. Everyone had some semblance of a frame of reference to the major shit the Boomers grew up with. Not everything, of course, but the big shit. Like I'm not gonna expect someone born in '93 to know who ALF or Sergeant Frank Poncherello was, but Goose and Mav? John Rambo? Rocky? Come on, man!

You do realize all you mention was non black but huggy bear.

I don’t buy it. The board of inquiry found that Captain Pete Mitchell did not cause the flat spin and once he was in it there was no way he could have recovered goddammit. I heard it with my own ears.

The reason Goose is dead is because of that faulty canopy that didn’t get out of the way by the time the seat came up. Maverick got that plane just stable enough, and lowered the G’s just enough that they could reach the ejection handle. Iceman would have soiled his drawers and gone down in a ball of fire.
This and the fact that Kazansky didn't come off high right!

This and the fact that Kazansky didn't come off high right!
The whole situation would’ve never gotten to that point if there was no hard deck.

There ain’t a goddamn hard deck when you’re chasing a bunch of Russians out of missile range of US aircraft carriers.

A Free college education and the adoration of hundreds of thousands of fans

Is not enough

Shameless Greed rules the day

Anyone who is recruited by the Hawkeyes knows what to expect

Hard-nosed, military-style discipline and conditioning

And for many underrated folk a legitimate path to the NFL

Their attorney looks a bit shifty

Not unlike a used car salesman

4e726eceeab8ea8c44000031

Things might be a bit too PC

:cool:
Did they get Saul Goodman?

This is a good point.

I think too often fans see a player make some kind of athletic move, and, solely based upon an observation or two, wonder why that player is sitting behind one of Kirk's walk-on developmental lunch-pail projects that has worked his way onto the field.

It's frustrating for all of us, but we have to remember that there's more to playing WR or RB than just what you can do with the ball in your hands. NFL scouts and GMs look at all of the nuances.

Wadley is actually a very good example. Yes, he had that wiggle and burst, but it took him years before he could be trusted with pass-protection or to run proper routes, and, of course, we all know the issues he had with ball-control early on. Even towards the end of his career, his pass-pro was marginal at best (and that's being kind). I actually posted at the time that I thought his poor pass-pro would limit his NFL chances.

Classic risk/reward scenario. Should be an exercise in an MBA track.

This is the type of lawsuit that you cannot under any circumstances settle or else you'll get sued at least a hundred more times. It's like Monsanto/Bayer with those Roundup suits. The moment you settle one you will get inundated with more suits.

Yeah, that is easy to say but doctors settle malpractice suits quite often when they did not commit malpractice because it is just better to not be dragged into court, into the public view, etc. Granted different circumstances and I do not know the law well enough to say that one settlement would preclude others from them suing.

Its a bunch of kids who didn't succeed, probably due in large part to harder working kids. Applies to Wadley and better talent in the NFL but still blaming KF. He got a shot, he got cut. He sure got a lot of PT, yards and tds at Iowa for being discriminated against. KMM the same. Was there some inappropriate language used that was racially themed..it sounds like it. Ok. Thats wrong but.....lets get real. Im not buying into a victim mentality here once again. Racism on any level is wrong. I dont see that as the case here. Racially insensitive language to be certain. Disgruntled kids that hopped on the metoo train.