4-Star OL Matt Farniok on Top 4: 'These Schools Have Proven to Help Linemen'

You could also say it is telling that he has been to Nebraska like 8 or 9 times and HASN'T pulled the trigger yet. I mean that would concern me as an Iowa fan if a kid had been here 8 or 9 times and was still hadn't committed to us.

I agree in a way. But why would you go somewhere 9 times if you weren't interested? Especially when you're paying your own way on the visit for most of them. Also, from interviews I've watched of him, his interest is pretty real. Neb is clear favorites. Our job to change that on his visit. FWIW, Farniok has been planning to drag the process out to NSD for awhile now. He is taking all of his visits.

Last edited:
I agree in a way. But why would you go somewhere 9 times if you weren't interested? Especially when you're paying your own way on the visit for most of them. Also, from interviews I've watched of him, his interest is pretty real. Neb is clear favorites. Our job to change that on his visit. FWIW, Farniok has been planning to drag the process out to NSD for awhile now. He is taking all of his visits.

Actually he is only taking 3 of his visits I believe. Nebraska, MSU and Iowa.

I'm not too worried about him, if he comes great, if he doesn't I'm sure the staff has a plan B & C.

His Mom is reported to be in the NE camp but beyond that it is highly up in the air. He has visits at his home by all three programs (MSU, NE, IA) this week. Dantonio stopped by his home immediately after his vist to MSU this weekend. It's a dogfight for him with these three programs. NE a clear favorite....no. He's not taking a 5-6 hr trip to IC in Jan. just for some fun on the beach.

Being reported by NE media that the Huskers have already scheduled another in-home after the Iowa official this weekend. They stated they believe the entire offensive staff may visit him. All three programs still fighting for Alaric Jackson as well. MSU offered another OL this weekend and NE is reportedly looking for 2 OL recruit openings. Will be interesting to see where the scholarship/s go for IA if we get neither.

Actually he is only taking 3 of his visits I believe. Nebraska, MSU and Iowa.

I'm not too worried about him, if he comes great, if he doesn't I'm sure the staff has a plan B & C.

Me too. Just would be nice to land one of those high caliber recruits for this class, something we're lacking. Alaric Jackson is another option but his final 3 are the same as Farniok's (Nebraska, Iowa, MSU). I'm not sure if one committing to a school affects the other's decision or not.

His Mom is reported to be in the NE camp but beyond that it is highly up in the air. He has visits at his home by all three programs (MSU, NE, IA) this week. Dantonio stopped by his home immediately after his vist to MSU this weekend. It's a dogfight for him with these three programs. NE a clear favorite....no. He's not taking a 5-6 hr trip to IC in Jan. just for some fun on the beach.

Being reported by NE media that the Huskers have already scheduled another in-home after the Iowa official this weekend. They stated they believe the entire offensive staff may visit him. All three programs still fighting for Alaric Jackson as well. MSU offered another OL this weekend and NE is reportedly looking for 2 OL recruit openings. Will be interesting to see where the scholarship/s go for IA if we get neither.

Agreed! It would really be a bad situation if we lose out on both Farniok and Jackson. I've also seen Nebraska is willing to take 2, even 3 offensive tackles in this class. So they would be willing to take both if they each decided to commit.

I also saw somewhere MSU offered Jackson the ability to play on the defensive side. I'm not sure if that is his preference or not. Could change things for him though, we'll see.

Interesting that both of these guys, same position, have the exact same finalists.

WOW. I actually got my hopes up. If this was a couple weeks ago I wouldn't have been surprised at all. I thought our visit might have sealed the deal for him. Good luck to him. Wish he was a Hawk. Seems like a class act so I can't be too mad.

Only thing I will say is it's getting kind of old missing out on 4-star talent. I know our 2017 class is doing well so far but we need to build off of that.

It was a joke man. It is better that he turn us down now, I'm sure the staff has contingency plans.

I wasn't heated towards you man. But I agree. Alaric Jackson is still out there, I think he's ours. Lots of connections with him. I wanted Farniok more but Jackson is a solid alternative.

Jackson has only been playing football for 2 years so he's not even close to his ceiling. He's gunna be a stud. Unless of course he doesn't come here, then he'll suck.

Most recruits don't commit to a school solely based on their last year's record (in which they didn't even play) That's not how I would choose where I spend the next 4 or 5 years. A lot more goes into a recruit's decision than that.

Most recruits don't commit to a school solely based on their last year's record (in which they didn't even play) That's not how I would choose where I spend the next 4 or 5 years. A lot more goes into a recruit's decision than that.

Yep. If people think that we are going to automatically beat Nebraska for recruits just because we are better than them, and have been for the past 15 years, be prepared to be disappointed. They have great facilities, a big and loyal fan base, and National Championships to recruit with. We will still get beat by them on occasion recruiting wise.

Plus keep in mind Matt spurred MSU as well, and they have had far greater success than either Iowa or Nebraska recently. It is rarely just about wins only for a recruit.

It's a lot closer to home for Farniok so that's probably the biggest reason. It surely isn't on the field success or future potential. Nebraska looked bad their first season under Riley. I would also guess Iowa's depth at o-line had to be concerning to him regarding future playing time.

Latest posts