4-Star OL Matt Farniok on Top 4: 'These Schools Have Proven to Help Linemen'

At least we can still hope for Jackson. His potential looks fantastic with only having played football for two years. I'd be just about as happy to land him as Farniok.

Yep. If people think that we are going to automatically beat Nebraska for recruits just because we are better than them, and have been for the past 15 years, be prepared to be disappointed. They have great facilities, a big and loyal fan base, and National Championships to recruit with. We will still get beat by them on occasion recruiting wise.

Plus keep in mind Matt spurred MSU as well, and they have had far greater success than either Iowa or Nebraska recently. It is rarely just about wins only for a recruit.

I agree with all of this. Except, we actually get beat by both of them, and most of the B1G for that matter in recruiting every year. We've 12th in the B1G in recruiting rankings each of the last 3 years.....obviously our on the field performance has been out-performing that ranking. But we've never been able to beat the Nebraskas, Michigan States, Ohio States, Michigans of the B1G in recruiting at least. Which is okay. But you would think after the season we just had we would be able to land some of these kids for this class.

I agree with all of this. Except, we actually get beat by both of them, and most of the B1G for that matter in recruiting every year. We've 12th in the B1G in recruiting rankings each of the last 3 years.....obviously our on the field performance has been out-performing that ranking. But we've never been able to beat the Nebraskas, Michigan States, Ohio States, Michigans of the B1G in recruiting at least. Which is okay. But you would think after the season we just had we would be able to land some of these kids for this class.

They basically had their whole class landed before this season could make a difference to them. In Matt's case he has always been a Nebraska lean, he made 8-10 visits there, it is the closest to him of the schools recruited him.

We have beaten everyone for AJ next year, we have beaten Michigan and Texas for Harris next year. We will beat Nebraska for Kallenberger. So that is 3 players already for next year we are beating big time schools out for. Our winning game this year will pay off for '17 recruiting, as our '16 class was all but finished before the winning started kicking in.

They basically had their whole class landed before this season could make a difference to them. In Matt's case he has always been a Nebraska lean, he made 8-10 visits there, it is the closest to him of the schools recruited him.

We have beaten everyone for AJ next year, we have beaten Michigan and Texas for Harris next year. We will beat Nebraska for Kallenberger. So that is 3 players already for next year we are beating big time schools out for. Our winning game this year will pay off for '17 recruiting, as our '16 class was all but finished before the winning started kicking in.

I never understood why Ferentz wanted to get the entire 2016 class filled ASAP with mostly what would be considered "back up options" for the upper tier B1G schools. If we would've been a little more patient, who knows. Oh well, moving on to 2017.

Great start to 2017 class. But even with the hot start, I would be surprised if we finish Top 6 in the B1G. It's early obviously, but thats also my point. We need to keep landing some high caliber guys and hope they have strong senior seasons.

I never understood why Ferentz wanted to get the entire 2016 class filled ASAP with mostly what would be considered "back up options" for the upper tier B1G schools. If we would've been a little more patient, who knows. Oh well, moving on to 2017.

Great start to 2017 class. But even with the hot start, I would be surprised if we finish Top 6 in the B1G. It's early obviously, but thats also my point. We need to keep landing some high caliber guys and hope they have strong senior seasons.
You talking silly. I for one like this class and think it's very deep on quality and talent. I think it was more of a case the staff identifying good talent early and getting commitments. This is a good class and I say time proves me right.

I think you are crazy off base. Nearly every player Iowa got was one of their top targets. Iowa does their won evaluations, they don't rely on Scout/Rivals/ESPN. They get kids in for camps and judge them on what they see, not highlight tapes like Scout/Rivals/ESPN.

For instance Iowa wanted the following lineman: Farnoik, Jackson, Banwart, Williams. They preferred those 4 over 4* Foster & Heinrich whom they didn't even offer. I'll trust that Iowa is getting the kids they want at OL, and not even think twice about it.

Iowa has had Stanley committed at QB forever now, Wisconsin made a hard push, and he is now a 4* according to Scout

Iowa targeted Lattimore early and he got a hard push from MSU, and is now a Scout 4* and top 300 kid according to Tom Lemming. Also in Lemmings top 300 recruits is Wade, Hockenson & Jones. This is the guy who invented the star system.

It is recruiting, and service rate kids by the offer they get, and highlight tape (LOL, but that if for another discussion). Iowa has already signed 3 of it's top target from Iowa for '17. Those kids have been rated at 5.5 3* kids by Rivals (Wirfs, Kirkpatrick, Coons). They will never move from that ranking, as likely other teams won't offer, as they won't camp anywhere else and are done with their recruiting. Harris dropped from a 4* to a 3* because of his "highlight" film (LOL again). Kid has early offers from Michigan and Texas, but Rivals drops his ranking because of his "highlight" film.

It is all just so gimmicky the recruiting game, and I follow it closely. Honestly I think that most 5* and 4* kids are evaluated pretty well, because those are the kids that all the big programs want, so Rivals/Scout/ESPN see this and rate them appropriately. I don't think Rivals has any clue how to evaluate a Wirfs, Kirkpatrick, Coons, and Harris. First they rate by highlight film which is funny anyway, but now they see them playing against small school Iowa football and they have no clue what to do with these kids ratings wise, so that is why you almost always see them be 2* or get the 5.5 lowest rated 3* ranking. I'll take the Iowa kids that Reese Morgan wants over some opinion of some Rivals guy any day.

Last edited:
Never understood why top recruits want to go to schools who aren't very good and won't be anytime soon with coaches who are clueless as they come...

I think you are crazy off base. Nearly every player Iowa got was one of their top targets. Iowa does their won evaluations, they don't rely on Scout/Rivals/ESPN. They get kids in for camps and judge them on what they see, not highlight tapes like Scout/Rivals/ESPN.

For instance Iowa wanted the following lineman: Farnoik, Jackson, Banwart, Williams. They preferred those 4 over 4* Foster & Heinrich whom they didn't even offer. I'll trust that Iowa is getting the kids they want at OL, and not even think twice about it.

Iowa has had Stanley committed at QB forever now, Wisconsin made a hard push, and he is now a 4* according to Scout

Iowa targeted Lattimore early and he got a hard push from MSU, and is now a Scout 4* and top 300 kid according to Tom Lemming. Also in Lemmings top 300 recruits is Wade, Hockenson & Jones. This is the guy who invented the star system.

It is recruiting, and service rate kids by the offer they get, and highlight tape (LOL, but that if for another discussion). Iowa has already signed 3 of it's top target from Iowa for '17. Those kids have been rated at 5.5 3* kids by Rivals (Wirfs, Kirkpatrick, Coons). They will never move from that ranking, as likely other teams won't offer, as they won't camp anywhere else and are done with their recruiting. Harris dropped from a 4* to a 3* because of his "highlight" film (LOL again). Kid has early offers from Michigan and Texas, but Rivals drops his ranking because of his "highlight" film.

It is all just so gimmicky the recruiting game, and I follow it closely. Honestly I think that most 5* and 4* kids are evaluated pretty well, because those are the kids that all the big programs want, so Rivals/Scout/ESPN see this and rate them appropriately. I don't think Rivals has any clue how to evaluate a Wirfs, Kirkpatrick, Coons, and Harris. First they rate by highlight film which is funny anyway, but now they see them playing against small school Iowa football and they have no clue what to do with these kids ratings wise, so that is why you almost always see them be 2* or get the 5.5 lowest rated 3* ranking. I'll take the Iowa kids that Reese Morgan wants over some opinion of some Rivals guy any day.

There should be a rule that you have to read this post before you comment in the recruiting forum.

At least we can still hope for Jackson. His potential looks fantastic with only having played football for two years. I'd be just about as happy to land him as Farniok.
Exactly right. If I had to pick between Farniok and Jackson I would go with Jackson because of the huge upside potential with him. Like you said, he has only been playing football for 2 years but has tremendous athletic ability and could be a beast on either side of the ball in a couple years.

Don't get me wrong, I love this class. But after the season we had, I just expected it to be a little bit better. Maybe that will show in 2017, who knows? But your first sentence is kind of my point.....The staff reels in nearly all of it's top targets because Iowa is usually their only respectable offer. With the exception of a few, most are the usual MAC-level offer list recruits. WHICH ISNT BAD. Because that's how we've operated for years in recruiting. I just would like to see Ferentz and co. get a little bit more aggressive and maybe patient on the recruiting trail to get guys that are hot commodities NATIONALLY. I would really like to see us go outside the B1G footprint. Wisconsin's recruiting class has commits from 15 different states. Nebraska's from 14 different states. If we could get some guys from Florida, GA, Texas more often I think that would be a good start.

Don't get me wrong, I love this class. But after the season we had, I just expected it to be a little bit better. Maybe that will show in 2017, who knows? But your first sentence is kind of my point.....The staff reels in nearly all of it's top targets because Iowa is usually their only respectable offer. With the exception of a few, most are the usual MAC-level offer list recruits. WHICH ISNT BAD. Because that's how we've operated for years in recruiting. I just would like to see Ferentz and co. get a little bit more aggressive and maybe patient on the recruiting trail to get guys that are hot commodities NATIONALLY. I would really like to see us go outside the B1G footprint. Wisconsin's recruiting class has commits from 15 different states. Nebraska's from 14 different states. If we could get some guys from Florida, GA, Texas more often I think that would be a good start.

This is the first year they haven't been more patient.

If you consider the guys they wanted this year to be "2nd choice" behind guys that are highly ranked, then what can happen is they end up with 3rd choice guys because most of the higher rated kids end up saying no and you have to settle for fallback kids to the guys you could have gotten earlier. There are also kids you get early and they ended up with higher rankings like the QB and DE. As long as you trust your evaluation ability, you should be more concerned with getting the guys you want instead of the guys rivals say you should want.

WOW. I actually got my hopes up. If this was a couple weeks ago I wouldn't have been surprised at all. I thought our visit might have sealed the deal for him. Good luck to him. Wish he was a Hawk. Seems like a class act so I can't be too mad.

Only thing I will say is it's getting kind of old missing out on 4-star talent. I know our 2017 class is doing well so far but we need to build off of that.

it's getting old missing out on 4-star talent? only since about 1900. Give it time, it won't be old anymore.

your tip toeing on the edge. It all seems....familiar.

Not sure if serious...Jackson is still out there, and I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw a scholarship at Foster if we miss on Jackson as well.

OMG - please please please let this happen so we can see the most epic meltdown on CryFan ever!

Not sure if serious...Jackson is still out there, and I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw a scholarship at Foster if we miss on Jackson as well.

They are not going to offer Foster at all they have had all kinds of chances do and from the sounds of it they don't think he is going to be what they are looking for.

Latest posts