4-Star OL Matt Farniok on Top 4: 'These Schools Have Proven to Help Linemen'

Kid might want to re-think the new Neb. staff's record of sending OL to the pros. I don't think it's very good.

Last edited:
I know why, but it still amazes me that Iowa doesn't get more 4/5 star OL out of high school. Track record of development is outstanding.

Good point. If we can land Farniok, this 2017 class could be outstanding with possibly four 4 stars. We already have a verbal from 4* DT Juan Harris. We have a couple more waiting in the wings within 30 minutes of Iowa City with OT Tristan Wirfs who is a 4* OT out of Mt. Vernon .... and a very high 3* ATH Jacob Coons out of Solon. Coons stock continues to rise and he could very easily end up being a 4* by the end of his junior year.

A Juan Harris verbal isn't worth much. I think Iowa has a half dozen of those. Along with a couple other schools.

One of the Sioux Falls radio stations had Farniok on last Wednesday, 12/2. Said he would be taking his NE visit on 12/5 weekend and planned to visit IA, MSU, and FSU in Jan. with a decision forthcoming in mid to late Jan.

I would handicap the race as Nebraska in the lead with Iowa close behind and Michigan State in the picture. Things can change quite a big on officials, however.

I'm surprised he hasn't already picked Nebraska based on how good of a program they were back before he was born.

Love the way he is controlling his own destiny. You can tell this isn't the family's first rodeo. He could end up being the best of the bunch.

I would handicap the race as Nebraska in the lead with Iowa close behind and Michigan State in the picture. Things can change quite a big on officials, however.
I hope when he visits he notices all the trophy cases full.. I'm surprised Nebraska is in the picture. They aren't that good. That new staff just can't sell anything but their history that they had nothing to do with. Maybe they are a little better then their record but you still are what it says you are. MSU I could see making it interesting. But unless it's purely just him wanting to stay close to home I don't see why Neb is even in the picture. I think he'll be a Hawk after he visits.

I hope when he visits he notices all the trophy cases full.. I'm surprised Nebraska is in the picture. They aren't that good. That new staff just can't sell anything but their history that they had nothing to do with. Maybe they are a little better then their record but you still are what it says you are. MSU I could see making it interesting. But unless it's purely just him wanting to stay close to home I don't see why Neb is even in the picture. I think he'll be a Hawk after he visits.

Better chance at early playing time.

The good - the date...... reportedly we're his last visit, normally a good position to be in.

The bad - the date......weather in SD / IA in mid to later Jan?

P.S. NE still has plenty to offer, don't kid yourself.

The good - the date...... reportedly we're his last visit, normally a good position to be in.

The bad - the date......weather in SD / IA in mid to later Jan?

P.S. NE still has plenty to offer, don't kid yourself.
As the previous poster mentioned. PT is about all I can think of.... That new staff can show you how to not defend hail merrys I guess... And have qb throw for a bunch of interceptions... I dunno they did look good against UCLA but I'm just not sold that Mike Riley is a good fit there. I think he's an underachiever of a coach and won't get that program even close to what their fans would be happy with. If this kid is smart he'll narrow it down to MSU or Iowa and hopefully become a Hawk.

MSU extended a new offer to another OL on Sunday night after the Farniok visit. Looking more like Iowa vs. Nebraska for this young man.

As the previous poster mentioned. PT is about all I can think of.... That new staff can show you how to not defend hail merrys I guess... And have qb throw for a bunch of interceptions... I dunno they did look good against UCLA but I'm just not sold that Mike Riley is a good fit there. I think he's an underachiever of a coach and won't get that program even close to what their fans would be happy with. If this kid is smart he'll narrow it down to MSU or Iowa and hopefully become a Hawk.

Believe it or not, recruits unfortunately don't always choose schools based on how that team did in one season. I don't think Farniok cares that Nebraska went 6-7 or that Iowa went 12-2 because he had nothing to do with either. Fact of the matter is, Nebraska could come right back and win the West next year and perceptions of each program will change again.

Farniok has really been emphasizing importance on the "family feel" and how he interacts with the coaching staffs and players. Farniok has been to Nebraska more than any other school and it isn't close (I think I heard it was around 8 or 9 times now). That is kind of telling I would say.

NOT SAYING WE DONT HAVE A CHANCE! But, we really need to make an impression on his visit.

My point is that this past season has little to zero effect on most recruits' decisions. ESPECIALLY with what Farniok is holding importance to.

MSU extended a new offer to another OL on Sunday night after the Farniok visit. Looking more like Iowa vs. Nebraska for this young man.

Agreed. Good that we have the final visit. Just the fact that he's been to Nebraska like 8 or 9 times now is a little concerning.

I'm sorry. I hope you're right. But I don't think Farniok will give two ***** about our Cy-Hawk and Floyd of Rosedale's. The "trophies" that actually matter are Rose Bowls and B1G Championships, and Crystal Balls. None of which we have to show. I don't think a trophy case of our rivalry games from 2015 is going to appeal to Matt all that much to be honest.

Recruits don't put all their stock in how "good" teams performed for one year. Farniok had absolutely zero impact on either team's season. He has stated multiple times he is looking for a family environment where he bonds with the players and coaches. He isn't all in on facilities or game-atmosphere.

Frankly, I find that kind of refreshing compared to what most recruits are into.

Believe it or not, recruits unfortunately don't always choose schools based on how that team did in one season. I don't think Farniok cares that Nebraska went 6-7 or that Iowa went 12-2 because he had nothing to do with either. Fact of the matter is, Nebraska could come right back and win the West next year and perceptions of each program will change again.

Farniok has really been emphasizing importance on the "family feel" and how he interacts with the coaching staffs and players. Farniok has been to Nebraska more than any other school and it isn't close (I think I heard it was around 8 or 9 times now). That is kind of telling I would say.

NOT SAYING WE DONT HAVE A CHANCE! But, we really need to make an impression on his visit.

My point is that this past season has little to zero effect on most recruits' decisions. ESPECIALLY with what Farniok is holding importance to.

You could also say it is telling that he has been to Nebraska like 8 or 9 times and HASN'T pulled the trigger yet. I mean that would concern me as an Iowa fan if a kid had been here 8 or 9 times and was still hadn't committed to us.

Latest posts