39,500 applied for 22,000 tickets

I would...........if it were the playoffs. Not for this

Exactly....CFP games are way more than merely entertainment at some mystical place most can't find on a map.

Not anti-Rose at all. Am very much anti-bend over Iowa fans if you want to go.

My wife of 42yrs. And I had kids at a young age and struggled raising them while we both worked.We knew someday it would pay off and we'd be able to do things that we only dreamed about before.I realize if you broke it down by how many days you're there the cost is ridiculous.We can afford it now so we're going,never been to LA or Rose Bowl.For those that can't go now hang in there you're day will come.Go Hawks

Enjoy the trip.

It's not that I can't it's that I'm not going to get bent over by these absurd costs. I Love the Hawks and have attended most all Bowl games. We have had season Tickets for 28 years and I will continue to enjoy that. No sour grapes but I'm willing to bet going to have lots and lots of Fans attending the Rose that normally wouldn't even think about going to game. Unless we get tickets it might be that my bowl game trip was Indianapolis this year and I'm fine with that..

Go Hawks!!

Iowa brought 35K fans...did their part. Ga Tech, no so much.
exactly - at the tailgating we outnumbered GT fans 20:1 until 2 hours before game time. I was there 8 hours before the game started at there were already 15K fans there. Even then, their showing was pathetic.

thus far, according to the Iowa ticket office. Absolutely incredible. I'm laughing pretty hard now at some of the folks on this board who were saying that the Rose Bowl "isn't a big deal anymore" or who said that "it is a generational thing." WRONG

Nobody said it wasn't a big deal anymore. It's a great bowl destination. The debate was that the game itself didn't have the meaning it did in the past on a football level. Comparing the meaning of the game purely on football is different than comparing it with a bowl experience. Yes, we ALL GET that it is a terrific bowl to attend with the parade, etc. I don't think you understood the debate some time ago.

I put in for 2 $185 tickets with the University. I assume if those are all taken but there are still $150 tickets, I'll get those instead?

I put in for 2 $185 tickets with the University. I assume if those are all taken but there are still $150 tickets, I'll get those instead?

Correct, this is what the ticket office replied when I asked them exactly that.

I briefly considered going but there is no way I would pay these sums. Not important enough to me. Instead we are going to the Peach Bowl and sitting with my crew from UH games. While I would certainly rather be at the RB we will have a good time anyway. UH has student and young alumni fan buses where for 250 you leave the night of 29th get into Atlanta sometime the 30th spend two nights in a hotel go to the game and come back. Think I am a little old for that. Definitely student friendly. The guy who just came to work for me wants to go on this bus. No vacation time yet but I told him to take off as UH hasn't been to a major bowl in 30 years. Memories are priceless. As I told him come January 1 be prepared to work lots of OT.

I dont think it would be what we are seeing for this Rose Bowl. If Iowa were playing in Dallas, I could see 50K at tops, which would be fantastic. Orange, probaby 35-40K, still elite. But this Rose Bowl is probably going to wind up having the biggest demand from Iowa fans of any bowl/playoff game I am likely to see in my lifetime. Because if they ever do get to the national title game, are people going to pay for two trips, two weeks apart, that vacation time, etc? I am dubious of that

I think he meant imagine what it would be like if the Rose Bowl were a semifinal this year. First time back in 25 years, 13-0 (since that's what we'd have to be in order to play in a semi) and playing for a trip to the ship? Take this and dial it up to 11.

What is the cut off point? 200 points?

The cutoff was at 150 points. I have 200 and feel reasonably safe about getting a ticket. If not, I have a reservation for the package through Alumni/Winnebrenner and would get a ticket there, but lose whatever priority I have through Iowa as a Silver Hawk.

That being said, I feel really badly that the cost of these trips to major bowls has gone through the roof. How in the world can the every day joe and mary afford to see a bowl game? I will drop about $4,000 for a four day trip. I can stay in a beautiful log cabin in the woods near the White River in the Ozarks for TWO MONTHS for what I will pay to see Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Or, I can go to northern Ontario for a month and catch a ton of walleyes for somewhat less than the Rose Bowl trip.

Back in the day, there is no way I could afford to go to the Rose when Hayden was around. I am blessed to be able to afford this trip, although it will mean some real sacrifice in regard to some other things I would love to do next spring and summer. Keep it up, and the moderate income retired folks like me will be out of the picture. And, this is happening in the face of a massive increase in TV revenue for the BT schools. As the movie title from a while ago says, this is "No Country for Old Men." And, certainly not for young couples.

Jon, say what you will about the "market." How is that treating middle America? Just sayin'...

Interesting information on the tickets, currently 42,000 requests but 24,500 are from season ticket and I Club members so the other 18,400 are from alumni or non season ticket holders so they are basically out of luck getting a ticket from Iowa.

I think he meant imagine what it would be like if the Rose Bowl were a semifinal this year. First time back in 25 years, 13-0 (since that's what we'd have to be in order to play in a semi) and playing for a trip to the ship? Take this and dial it up to 11.

not exactly, because you'd have fans have to choose between going to that or going to a potential title game. Where Iowa is now, there is no chance of a second game.

The cutoff was at 150 points. I have 200 and feel reasonably safe about getting a ticket. If not, I have a reservation for the package through Alumni/Winnebrenner and would get a ticket there, but lose whatever priority I have through Iowa as a Silver Hawk.

That being said, I feel really badly that the cost of these trips to major bowls has gone through the roof. How in the world can the every day joe and mary afford to see a bowl game? I will drop about $4,000 for a four day trip. I can stay in a beautiful log cabin in the woods near the White River in the Ozarks for TWO MONTHS for what I will pay to see Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Or, I can go to northern Ontario for a month and catch a ton of walleyes for somewhat less than the Rose Bowl trip.

Back in the day, there is no way I could afford to go to the Rose when Hayden was around. I am blessed to be able to afford this trip, although it will mean some real sacrifice in regard to some other things I would love to do next spring and summer. Keep it up, and the moderate income retired folks like me will be out of the picture. And, this is happening in the face of a massive increase in TV revenue for the BT schools. As the movie title from a while ago says, this is "No Country for Old Men." And, certainly not for young couples.

Jon, say what you will about the "market." How is that treating middle America? Just sayin'...

I think there is a downward trend on the ticket prices,

24 tickets available on "Ticket City" for $490.00. May continue if people wait & do not panic.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the ticket office distributes their 22,000 tickets. I wonder if we may see people without tickets start cancelling flights & hotels, which may cause those prices to drop a little, or at least increase the supply for people still looking for travel options.

I just hope those who are getting tickets at face value through Iowa are actually attending the game and not just getting tickets to flip on the secondary market for a profit.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the ticket office distributes their 22,000 tickets. I wonder if we may see people without tickets start cancelling flights & hotels, which may cause those prices to drop a little, or at least increase the supply for people still looking for travel options.

I just hope those who are getting tickets at face value through Iowa are actually attending the game and not just getting tickets to flip on the secondary market for a profit.

After the 44,000 are given out (Iowa and Stanfords allotment) we will see a ton of tickets hit the market. Any season ticket holder from either fan base is smart to bye their allotment and then re sell them for big profit.

Latest posts