39,500 applied for 22,000 tickets

Many were predicting that the Rose was a decent possibility as early as October. At that time, you and everyone else could have bought tickets for face on ticketmaster. I know many people who did this.

Now, the people who missed that opportunity, and who also apparently haven't donated enough, are now complaining that those who did are somehow unfairly advantaged in this process. My goodness.
No, "many" weren't predicting a Rose Bowl in early October. Yes, there were some who bought tickets on speculation....there are always people who do this.

I realize it's all about money. I just don't think it is right that those with the deepest pockets are able to get the majority of the tickets to big events, solely to profit by it, forcing prices up for those not blessed with an abundance of excess cash. Apparently that is fine with you....and you have the right to that opinion.

But the "just pony up the extra money" or "you should have thought of this months ago" arguments are just silly.

I realize it's all about money. I just don't think it is right that those with the deepest pockets are able to get the majority of the tickets to big events, solely to profit by it, forcing prices up for those not blessed with an abundance of excess cash. Apparently that is fine with you....and you have the right to that opinion.

If you're talking about the third party brokers who are selling the ~48,000 tickets that aren't allotted to either school then I agree. I feel like more tickets should be offered to both fan bases before they are ever opened to third parties for resale.

However, earlier you said:
Only big money donors are entitled to those. You are going to have to "pay up" if you want to go. The big money folks need to make a profit when they resell their tickets......don't be so greedy.

I disagree with this sentiment. I think the school was very reasonable in their limits on the number of ticket requests season ticket holders can make on the Iowa ticket allotment and those who continue to donate and buy season tickets should have the first opportunity to buy any additional tickets that are available to the school in the post-season. Sure I expect some of the season ticket holders to resell their Rose Bowl tickets but those who continue to buy season tickets are clearly people who support the football team and will mostly want to go to the Rose Bowl rather than resell. The absolute maximum any season ticket holder could request was 8 and that was only for the highest level of donors. The ticket limit then drops to 6 and 4 for the next few tiers down and the majority could only request 2. While 8 is a lot of tickets, you must donate at least $10,000 annually, to qualify. They would barely/wouldn't even break even on their season tickets if they resold all of them.

Again, I think at least offering more tickets to the participating schools would be nice for all of the bowls and would help reduce the average price paid by the fans at the expense of the ticket brokers. Thankfully the Rose Bowl already has one of the highest ticket allotments per school compared to the other bowls or else the prices on the secondary market would probably be even worse.

However, earlier you said:

I disagree with this sentiment. I think the school was very reasonable in their limits on the number of ticket requests season ticket holders can make on the Iowa ticket allotment and those who continue to donate and buy season tickets should have the first opportunity to buy any additional tickets that are available to the school in the post-season. Sure I expect some of the season ticket holders to resell their Rose Bowl tickets but those who continue to buy season tickets are clearly people who support the football team and will mostly want to go to the Rose Bowl rather than resell. The absolute maximum any season ticket holder could request was 8 and that was only for the highest level of donors. The ticket limit then drops to 6 and 4 for the next few tiers down and the majority could only request 2. While 8 is a lot of tickets, you must donate at least $10,000 annually, to qualify. They would barely/wouldn't even break even on their season tickets if they resold all of them.

Again, I think at least offering more tickets to the participating schools would be nice for all of the bowls and would help reduce the average price paid by the fans at the expense of the ticket brokers. Thankfully the Rose Bowl already has one of the highest ticket allotments per school compared to the other bowls or else the prices on the secondary market would probably be even worse.
I was being facetious about big donors should be allowed to buy all the tickets so they can resell them.

It is frustrating to think I'm an alum, been a season ticket holder and donor for 13 years, but still won't be able to get a ticket to the Rose Bowl from the university.

I was being facetious about big donors should be allowed to buy all the tickets so they can resell them.

It is frustrating to think I'm an alum, been a season ticket holder and donor for 13 years, but still won't be able to get a ticket to the Rose Bowl from the university.

Sorry, didn't catch that. I'm with you on the frustration, I know the athletic department is always looking for more ways to bring in revenue but it would be nice to see more priority points for years being a season ticket holder. Also, a multiplier for consecutive years would be a good way to reward loyalty (and a constant revenue stream).

And all the people in front of you on the Priority point list would be bummed if people all of a sudden jumped them even though they were lower on the priority point list.

It sucks, everyone wants a ticket, but the university has to have a way to award the few tickets they get. It only makes sense that they use a weighted system that rewards those who donate the most $$$. Why would the university give a ticket to someone who donated $500 a year for 13 years over a guy who donated 5K for 3 years? Of course there is going to be a PP value to giving more money, and not just be about the amount of years that donations occurred.

Looks like Iowa ticket office has updated their website. I have 43 points and requested two $185 tickets. It is showing I received two $150 tickets.

Looks like Iowa ticket office has updated their website. I have 43 points and requested two $185 tickets. It is showing I received two $150 tickets.

That's interesting. Thought the cutoff was 150 points. You must donate quite a bit? Or did the university get more tickets I wonder..

That's interesting. Thought the cutoff was 150 points. You must donate quite a bit? Or did the university get more tickets I wonder..

I have 30 points, and it is showing I am being charged $300 for 2 tickets, plus a bowl game fee and football fee. I'm thinking they did some major restructuring to make sure all season ticketholders had a chance.

They said the cutoff was 31 points,e-mails went out today.Had to give to I Club and be a season ticket holder also.

I have 30 points, and it is showing I am being charged $300 for 2 tickets, plus a bowl game fee and football fee. I'm thinking they did some major restructuring to make sure all season ticketholders had a chance.

I don't think Iowa re structured anything. I'm hearing that Stanford sent Iowa nearly 12,000 of their allotment.

I don't think Iowa re structured anything. I'm hearing that Stanford sent Iowa nearly 12,000 of their allotment.

Where did you hear that? I saw an alleged email on one of the Stanford websites stating: "Thanks for buying out our allotment."

Not being confrontational, just wondering about source of that info. I myself was wondering if we got extra tix based on the fact that so many Hawk fans got their orders filled despite minimal priority points.

Here's the press release from Stanford stating they sold all 28,000 of their tickets, plus another 2000 student tix:http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=210586999.

If the article is correct and Stanford was able to obtain 30,000 tickets from the Rose Bowl then I imagine Iowa was able to do the same. However, I am skeptical because the widely published number was a 22,000 allotment. If Iowa did indeed receive 30,000 tickets, then it seems completely reasonable that they were able to fill most of the season ticket holders' requests since I think only about half of the total requests were from season ticket holders.

Here's the press release from Stanford stating they sold all 28,000 of their tickets, plus another 2000 student tix:http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=210586999.

If the article is correct and Stanford was able to obtain 30,000 tickets from the Rose Bowl then I imagine Iowa was able to do the same. However, I am skeptical because the widely published number was a 22,000 allotment. If Iowa did indeed receive 30,000 tickets, then it seems completely reasonable that they were able to fill most of the season ticket holders' requests since I think only about half of the total requests were from season ticket holders.

This could be my bad, maybe he just meant Iowa got an additional allotment of tickets. Guy I got if from usually is in the know about this type of stuff. I think like Medicalmiller said, Iowa obviously got more tickets, as no way so many get fulfilled if Iowa didn't get more tixs.

Your statement is baffling. If you're an alum, you get 10 priority points. 3 points/ season of purchasing season tickets; 3 x 13 years = 39 points. 10 + 39 =49 points not even counting your donations. Cut off for order fulfillment was 30 or 31 points. Either the University doesn't have accurate records of your account or perhaps your recollection is amiss.

Your statement is baffling. If you're an alum, you get 10 priority points. 3 points/ season of purchasing season tickets; 3 x 13 years = 39 points. 10 + 39 =49 points not even counting your donations. Cut off for order fulfillment was 30 or 31 points. Either the University doesn't have accurate records of your account or perhaps your recollection is amiss.

Or he isn't a current season ticket holder or I-Club member.

83Hawk's original post was from before the announcement was made yesterday. I think it was reasonable for him/her to assume 49 points wouldn't be enough points given that people needed more than 100 for B1G CCG tickets and there were many more requests for the Rose Bowl.

83Hawk's original post was from before the announcement was made yesterday. I think it was reasonable for him/her to assume 49 points wouldn't be enough points given that people needed more than 100 for B1G CCG tickets and there were many more requests for the Rose Bowl.

Sounds like a good explanation. Hawkeye ticket office did say a week ago they'd do their best to reward folks who bought tickets this year.

Latest posts