25 Years Ago Today.....

Dolph is a great announcer, but it is hard to top Zabel for his pure excitement and love of the game.

My memory of that game focuses around the fact that we had to leave the house as Iowa was driving down the field to go to watch my sister's district volleyball game (they won). Had to listen to the last part of the drive and the field goal on WHO. That was awesome!

I listened to Jim Zabel do Iowa football and basketball from the time I was 10 years old until he was forced off the air several years ago by the fine folks at Learfield Sports and the U of Iowa. That means I listened to Zabel for over 40 years, half of which Iowa never won more football games than they lost. But you'd never know it listening to Z. No, he wasn't perfect. What broadcaster is? But for my money, Zabel was fabulous. I really, really miss his style. He made boring blowouts intriguing and he made great games even greater.

No offense to anyone, but I can't say that about his successors. In fact, to me at least, Zabel's successor is somewhat the opposite -- regularly deflating the most exciting moments of fabulous games and making bad games even worse. But maybe that's just me.

The point is, Zabel was a tough act to follow, and although it was a shame the way he was forced out, I will always be glad I was able to listen to him for more than four decades.

I totally agree with you. I loved listening to Zabel on the radio. He made every game exciting with his "hug &I kiss those radio's folks" and "I love it, I love it, I love it" I was sad when he quit and I still enjoy listening to him on Sound Off!

Watched that game in some podunk bar in Pennsylvania. Dating some coal miner's daughter. Thought to myself "self, you'll live in that crazy place one day." Been here in IC 15 years now. Every year is a complete joy. Let us replicate that on the 'morrow!! Without the dramma, obviously.

I was living in L.A. then. I watched the game on the tube then went down to Hollywood and hit the bars. Those were the days.

HAWKEYES WIN!!! HAWKEYES WIN!! HAWKEYES WIN!!
GOT TO LOVE ZABLE!
You could have heard me screaming all the way from Mesa Az. to Iowa City.
I had that game on Beta tape for years until my VCR broke and could buy Beta any more.

Let's just hope we don't have to rely on our kicking game for a last second win. I'll seriously have a heart attack if we do.

Latest posts