25 Years Ago Today.....

I was the only person in the great state of Iowa NOT at that game.

Or maybe it just seems that way. :)

I'm standing on the endline in a tan London Fog coat a few people right of the right goalpost. That was a great great moment in Hawkeye history, still #1 for me.

It was the early-to-mid-80's coat of choice for AD and band staff. I recall Les Steenlage, Jerry Strom, Jim Rosborough and Lute Olson also rocked the London Fogs.

I was 6-10 rows up, 1 yr removed from graduation, directly behind west upright standing in the stairway with my then girlfriend/future ex-wife, as we were holding ("propping") up my alcohol weary freshman brother so he could watch the kick. We were next to HawkeyeBob, sharing the remnants of a bota. Before that ball hit the stands (before nets), my Bro had found the strength to be trying to mount the goalpost.

We were hugging and high-fiving and I somehow managed to find the turf shortly after. I remember being on the field for a long time, seeing all sorts of friends and acquaintances. I think it took them awhile, but they finally got the goalposts down and a group were carrying part of it up to the top of the stadium through the vacated stands of J section. (I remember seeing that same goalpost carrying scene of our fans in the Metrodome a few years later)

When looking at the photos of the many pictures and videos, I can pick us out, but the images of the fans were never clear. (besides seeing guys in trenchcoats... which were usually used for smuggling in a bar!) ;)

Latest posts