2020 offense vs. 2019 offense

We will have four of the OL who started the bowl game back next year with a huge number of young players who saw time (Banwart / Britt / Ince). That gives you 7 guys with experience back. Wirfs is gone. He's a first rounder and he has to go. We have WRs that are proven and all will be bigger, faster, and more experienced. The only question mark on offense will be at QB. If Petras is a prime time player...it's hard to argue that our offense won't be much better. I'm hoping he is more consistently accurate.

Remember, the two losses, Michigan and Penn State were in succession, and we couldn't block people. Jackson was just back after missing three games with an injury and we were dealing with other injuries too on the OL. The OL was a mess and had no cohesion. They will be much better if we don't get hit with injuries.

I don't think Golston or Stone go pro. Losing Welsh and AJE are big losses, but I don't know why you wouldn't put a few pounds on Nieman and let him play the middle in our Cash defense. That dude can play. You have a lot of guys vying for the DE position...and Devonte Craig is going to press for some time as a freshman.

If we don't lose any critical players to injury...we are a tough out no matter where we are playing.

Yeah, if Taylor sees a gap he attacks it but if there is no hole to start with he is very patient hiding behind his linemen until he sees it and goes, like Shaquon Barkley
Yes, he is top notch...however Iowa struggles to limit his carries because the Iowa's run game has been a no-show. Iowa bleeds out, exhausted on defense. Stanley has to carry the team with his arm, which he struggle to do because of the same running production, or lack thereof. Kirk has his best man working on this...himself. I think he will figure it out...acknowledging a "problem" is the toughest step for him.

I havent seen Petras run with the ball and if can move even close to Clemson's qb or Fields I say put in some RPO. But if the qb is not mobile dont do much RPO at all
Don’t hold your breathe in Petras running. Watch any spring game or roll out while he was in, no threat there. IF he beats out Mansell the only threat of a QB run is a two QB system which is low. Petras is a guarantee of three more average seasons. Mansell at least brings some Banks-like excitement.

Don’t hold your breathe in Petras running. Watch any spring game or roll out while he was in, no threat there. IF he beats out Mansell the only threat of a QB run is a two QB system which is low. Petras is a guarantee of three more average seasons. Mansell at least brings some Banks-like excitement.

Yes, I was somewhat joking there because most of what I have seen when Petras runs is about a 5.0 flat 50.

Anyone on here remember when Dan McQuire was here as a qb in the late 1980's. He could throw the ball 80 yards at about 6' 7" but his dropback was glacial and he got clobbered more than once coming back from under center. He was made for a shotgun formation.

Yes, I was somewhat joking there because most of what I have seen when Petras runs is about a 5.0 flat 50.

Anyone on here remember when Dan McQuire was here as a qb in the late 1980's. He could throw the ball 80 yards at about 6' 7" but his dropback was glacial and he got clobbered more than once coming back from under center. He was made for a shotgun formation.
That’s a perfect comparison. I’ve watched 2 years of warmups and Mansell throws a prettier ball. Maybe not as far but much quicker release and tighter. If you look at play in limited time, this competition should be good.

Watching a some power-run teams that are hard to stop in the NFL right now. It has me wondering about the zone scheme and modern defenses.

Back when most defenses followed the Parcells philosophy of "bigger is better", zone scheme could take advantage of DL/MLB lack of mobility as they forced them to run sideline to sideline with athletic OL coming at them.

Now that defenses are primarily built from speed to combat spread offenses, it is probably time to admit that Wisconsin knows best. Bulk those uglies up, lean on the undersized D, and move downhill.

I expect the freshmen Goodson and Laporta to be better and more productive.

Tracy could be a superstar if he can learn how to hold on to a catch consistently.

Ragaini, ISM, Brandon Smith, Sargent, Young, IKM have hit their peaks and should perform about the same.

I saw that oliver had a shoulder injury? He could see a jump in productivity next year.

Words is gone. Big loss. Other seniors on the line not such a big loss. Linderbaum should get better.

Bottom line, if Iowa runs the same schemes with same blocking style, Iowa will see no improvement. If Iowa tweaks its blocking style and offensive schemes, it could be interesting.

Iowa learned from the Holiday bowl, they need to run a lot more misdirection against aggressive defenses. Be interesting if they keep doing that in 2020.

Petras is a 4 star who beat out Mansel. I expect after some growing pains early, he should be better than Stanley.

I also predict by November petras will be better than Stanley. I loved Nate, but from what I hear petras is a much more boisterous, outgoing personality and is loved by teammates. Hopefully that translates into a little less apprehension about turnovers and a second more progression through his reads before throwing it away.

Regardless of the Stone decision and assuming AJE goes, I still think Iowa will have another top 20 level defense. With that said the schedule is tough.

The offense needs to win us a couple games next year. I think they have the potential to do it. Any offense this year against Michigan or Penn State and we could have flipped one or both of those games. The offense in my opinion won us the bowl game the other night, so that was nice to see for a change.

love stone, but he’s very replaceable. Phil churns out stone levels DBs at least one a year.

What are everyone’s expectations for the offense next year compared to what we saw this year?

Personally I expect better offensive production, okay that’s not exactly a high bar, but potentially much better offensive production.

I say this because of all the playmakers we return. Goodson with a year in the S&C program should be that much better. ISM had a monster final two games, Smith is a physical freak, Tracy working on those hands and route running. LaPorta starting to emerge. Petras is going to be put in a fairly decent situation where he isn’t asked to do too much.

As always it starts with the run game, which we absolutely need to improve, and I think we can. Offensive line might surprise some folks and I think the interior play will improve. We can’t replace Wirfs but I do think Kallenberger will be solid at RT.

What say you on next years Iowa offense?

Well last year the offense showed up for about 7 quarters. I'm afraid to get my hopes up. I've seen Iowa offense suck for so long that I barely have it in me to expect otherwise.