2020 offense vs. 2019 offense

Regardless of the Stone decision and assuming AJE goes, I still think Iowa will have another top 20 level defense. With that said the schedule is tough.

The offense needs to win us a couple games next year. I think they have the potential to do it. Any offense this year against Michigan or Penn State and we could have flipped one or both of those games. The offense in my opinion won us the bowl game the other night, so that was nice to see for a change.

As I researched before last year's draft, these mocks aren't that accurate. That's why AJE told me earlier this month that he was leaning on his evaluation from the league, which is not foolproof.

We're going to see a lot of these mocks from now until the draft.

Here's one with AJE and TW in the Top 10:

LINK

To answer the original question, next year brings a lot of promise. Let's assume Wirfs goes pro. I love Wirfs, but it's not like we were able to run the ball effectively this year, and with Kallenberger getting a lot of reps he has shown to atleast be effective in pass protection. So this is one position that even if we have a lesser player at, I am not sure we see much of a drop off from what we had this year.

Of course we lose Stanley, and while he was a very good player at times and I am a big fan of his, I am not sure that anyone can make a case that he ever went out and won games for us. He did make some elite throws, and we needed them to beat ISU and Nebraska this year, but at the end of the day he is replaceable. The question is, will the backup be as good? Will he be better? Our entire season hinges on this, because I firmly believe an elite quarterback could make this team very very special, like big ten championship and cfp special. An average quarterback will lose 4 games, atleast. A drop off in production from Stanley, with someone who cant use his legs and doesn't have the arm talent, may go 6-6.

Otherwise, this offense is loaded:

OL: Jackson, Banwart, Linderbaum, Schott, Kallenberger. Behind them, Britt, Ince, Miller, Endres, Jenkins, Fenske. Could see Britt be a starter. Should be a really good offensive line with lots of depth.

TE's: LaPorta I think will be a big time player, another Hockenson and Kittle type. Beyer is a good blocker. Lots of depth here with Lachey, Lee, Miamen, etc. We should have the best tight end group in the big ten.

Receivers: ISM, Tracy, Smith, Ragaini, all proven talents. We have size, speed and experience. Throw a healthy Martin in there. Lots of speed on the bench too, but doubt any of them see the field.

RB's: obviously Goodson #1, then I think Sargent and Young and Byrd will get a look. I see IKM transferring. We lose Ross but he was not an impactful fullback.

Then the quarterback. Then the offensive line blocking scheme. Then the play calling. And will there be any true freshmen impact players? For the first time in a while there is no glaring weakness I see where a freshman would play a little before they are ready. Maybe Deuce gets a look at qb?

With the fact that our defense should be nearly as good if not as good as this past year even with losses of AJ and Welch, next season even with the daunting schedule could be a great one.

The offensive line is the key. Iowa should be solid at center, however, the rest of the line may be new. Iowa has had one 100 yard running game in two years? That needs to change. The best friend for a new quarterback is a good running game. Get the running game going and the receiving corps will become a real threat.

The offensive line is the key. Iowa should be solid at center, however, the rest of the line may be new. Iowa has had one 100 yard running game in two years? That needs to change. The best friend for a new quarterback is a good running game. Get the running game going and the receiving corps will become a real threat.
You still haven’t figured out that Alaric Jackson was quoted in saying that his injury slowed him down and that he isn’t considering the NFL. He said he needs to come back and work on his technique.

They will have a lot of weapons next year. The offense will be noticeably better. The WRs will be very good next year, they're all returning. The TE position was coming back as a threat at the end of the year, with LaPorta stepping up, and that should continue. Goodson will go for 1000 yards next year. I also like the 2 RB look, I hope we see more of that. The starting QB doesn't have to be great, just competent; we'll take great, but just don't throw a lot of drive killing interceptions.

Only 251 days til kickoff 2020.

I think if nobody declares, we have to be favored in the west, and that's saying something with a new qb.

Do you include Jonathan Taylor in "nobody"? For the sake of the exercise, if he comes back to Wisconsin, I think they're still favored. But if everyone comes back to Iowa... I like our odds.

You still haven’t figured out that Alaric Jackson was quoted in saying that his injury slowed him down and that he isn’t considering the NFL. He said he needs to come back and work on his technique.

Don't count anyone in or out until after the 17th. I read that. Even with him back, there's still 2 starting guards and probably Wirfs gone. Iowa has Iowa State, Minnesota early on schedule. Not a lot of time for the line to gel. Throw in a new quarterback. Coaches going to be earning their money.

Go Hawks

Do you include Jonathan Taylor in "nobody"? For the sake of the exercise, if he comes back to Wisconsin, I think they're still favored. But if everyone comes back to Iowa... I like our odds.

Yes I do because they will have some new starters on their ol I do believe.

I love the 49ers offense. Great fullback, great TE, and pretty speedy receivers. They run a lot of inside and outside zone concepts as well. Whoever said we should go visit SF is spot on. I’d love to copy their route concepts because their receivers are constantly open.

Regardless of the Stone decision and assuming AJE goes, I still think Iowa will have another top 20 level defense. With that said the schedule is tough.

The offense needs to win us a couple games next year. I think they have the potential to do it. Any offense this year against Michigan or Penn State and we could have flipped one or both of those games. The offense in my opinion won us the bowl game the other night, so that was nice to see for a change.

I like the optimism and I think we share the belief in Parker’s ability to develop a strong team defense, year after year. But without Geno, I don’t think it’s a top 20 defense. I see a lot of talent on the defensive backfield, with guys like Merriweather, Belton, Castro, Jacobs all trying to elevate their games and earn a starting place (somewhere in the D lineup...). But Geno is a rock. Upperclassmen, fearless, tone setter - it’s not just plug and play replacing a guy like him.

I like the optimism and I think we share the belief in Parker’s ability to develop a strong team defense, year after year. But without Geno, I don’t think it’s a top 20 defense. I see a lot of talent on the defensive backfield, with guys like Merriweather, Belton, Castro, Jacobs all trying to elevate their games and earn a starting place (somewhere in the D lineup...). But Geno is a rock. Upperclassmen, fearless, tone setter - it’s not just plug and play replacing a guy like him.
People said the same things last year when we lost Nelson, Hooker, and the entire front four. Until proven otherwise I’m going to go ahead and assume Iowa will be a top 20 defense year in and year out. Plenty of talent and experience there. Look for the staff to toy around in the grad transfer market maybe on the Dline.

You really can't compare zone run schemes in the NFL and college football -- if you watch the LBs in the NFL they line up a at least 1-2 yards further behind the LOS than where LBs playing against Iowa line up -- because in the NFL across the LOS is a QB who can pick your ass apart. Makes a huge difference in a team's ability to crowd the LOS like Illinois did vs Iowa this year to stop the run. Speaking of Illinois' defense stuffing Iowa's run game, did anyone notice how Cal's O-line just fired straight off the ball, ran with a 230 lb RB all over the place, then threw the heck out of the ball? They gave every BTen team the blueprint for how to beat Illinois by 20+ points (at least they were ahead that much when I turned it off.) If you don't turn the ball over, Illinois is not that tough to beat.

Re next year? Lots of returning playmakers should result in a solid year for the offense, altho Stanley's departure will be missed more than most folks realize. With a new QB, the Ferentz's will play it cautious and rely even more than usual on what will be another solid defensive team. The O-Guards who got repeatedly beat this year may be the starters next year, so don't expect any offensive explosions -- and there is perhaps reason to believe just the opposite. Remember, vs a very weak USC defense Iowa's offense with an experienced QB generated a grand total of 328 yards. Perspective, folks. An 8 win season given the schedule and a new QB would be nothing to sneeze at.

You really can't compare zone run schemes in the NFL and college football -- if you watch the LBs in the NFL they line up a at least 1-2 yards further behind the LOS than where LBs playing against Iowa line up -- because in the NFL across the LOS is a QB who can pick your ass apart. Makes a huge difference in a team's ability to crowd the LOS like Illinois did vs Iowa this year to stop the run. Speaking of Illinois' defense stuffing Iowa's run game, did anyone notice how Cal's O-line just fired straight off the ball, ran with a 230 lb RB all over the place, then threw the heck out of the ball? They gave every BTen team the blueprint for how to beat Illinois by 20+ points (at least they were ahead that much when I turned it off.) If you don't turn the ball over, Illinois is not that tough to beat.

Re next year? Lots of returning playmakers should result in a solid year for the offense, altho Stanley's departure will be missed more than most folks realize. With a new QB, the Ferentz's will play it cautious and rely even more than usual on what will be another solid defensive team. The O-Guards who got repeatedly beat this year may be the starters next year, so don't expect any offensive explosions -- and there is perhaps reason to believe just the opposite. Remember, vs a very weak USC defense Iowa's offense with an experienced QB generated a grand total of 328 yards. Perspective, folks. An 8 win season given the schedule and a new QB would be nothing to sneeze at.

I agree, Stanley will be missed. However, the interior of the offensive line will be better, barring injury. The guards that repeatedly got beat were the Paulsen twins more than any other, and that was right after Banwart and Schott got hurt. They both come back next year. Kallenberger is solid, no matter at the tackle or guard spot. Britt and Ince got time and looked good when they were in there. I have a lot of confidence in the offensive line next year.

As far as Iowa generating only 328 yards against USC, remember we had a kickoff for a touchdown as well as a pick six. We also pretty much turned the ball over on the onside kick as well even though it didn't count as one. We didn't punt until the very end of the 3rd quarter and kicked no field goals. I think that is pretty good.

We can all see what happens when they actually scheme for an opponent. I still have to wonder if Brian isn't being reigned in by Dad on a regular basis? I realize it still comes down to dropped passes, fumbles and plain old execution mistakes holding Iowa back from even sniffing the next level. But it still amazes me that the offense is not allowed to evolve.

With AJ next year the defensive line would be among the best in the country. Without him they will probably be just adequate. Though I expect Nixon to take a step up. He's had a year of playing time and over a year with Doyle. Chauncy Golston his numbers may drop with AJ gone.
At this point though Iowa could lose both AJ and Chauncy.

Linebackers losing Welch is going to hurt but he was gone most of the season. But there is experience at linebacker. Defensive backs are going to hurt without Stone. But again there is experience there.

Overall the defense will be solid, but not spectacular.

We can all see what happens when they actually scheme for an opponent. I still have to wonder if Brian isn't being reigned in by Dad on a regular basis? I realize it still comes down to dropped passes, fumbles and plain old execution mistakes holding Iowa back from even sniffing the next level. But it still amazes me that the offense is not allowed to evolve.

I think the two Ferentz's balance out one another. Kirk knows more about football than anyone on the coaching staff. On the other hand he doesn't like taking too many chances. But since Brian has been here we have seen more willingness to try things from Kirk.

People said the same things last year when we lost Nelson, Hooker, and the entire front four. Until proven otherwise I’m going to go ahead and assume Iowa will be a top 20 defense year in and year out. Plenty of talent and experience there. Look for the staff to toy around in the grad transfer market maybe on the Dline.

Great point. Hope you’re right. To clarify, I agree that regardless of anyone’s expectations and any recruiting (star rating) analysis, Iowa continually churns out NFL DBs. I have no reason to believe that will change next year and that Matt Hankins and Julius Brents are “next”.

The D line comparison is tough because last year we lost all of our “returning starters”, but brought back AJE - who we all basically thought was a preseason all American (talent level). Looking at next year, I sure hope Gholston takes the next step in his senior year. I’m excited about Nixon, and other young talent on the DL like Logan Lee and Waggoner. But I think the DL 2 deep looks a little thin. Maybe that’s a natural (uneducated) thought at this stage, with a lot new guys set to be stepping in next year.

Iowa needs to figure out an offense that can beat Wisconsin, everything else will fall in place if that happens.

I think the answer to that question is we just need to be able to effectively run the ball. The promising part here is that listening to that Kirk interview with Leistikow, this is squarely on Kirk's radar and he said he is going to address it this off season. With respect to everything else that Kirk has devoted to, I have no doubt this will get done. I think back to a time when we couldn't get a pass rush. We ended up bringing in guys, came up with a new package, started strategically blitzing, and since our pass rush has been feared. I remember when our secondary was not very good and it seemed we couldn't get talented corners. We have them in spades now. I know it took a while, but we finally went to a different sub package against running quarterbacks and slot receivers, and developed the cash. And I remember our wide receiver situation, which has always been sporadic at best, was so dire that we were forced to play a couple true freshmen because there was literally nobody else, and now we have a 4 star on the bench.

It will get done. I dont think our program has ever been in a better place, or atleast in a very long time, and so the coaches have the luxury of fine tuning more now than in recent years trying to fix gaping holes.

Latest posts