2020 offense vs. 2019 offense

Don't count anyone in or out until after the 17th. I read that. Even with him back, there's still 2 starting guards and probably Wirfs gone. Iowa has Iowa State, Minnesota early on schedule. Not a lot of time for the line to gel. Throw in a new quarterback. Coaches going to be earning their money.

Go Hawks
And ISU has to basically replace their offensive line and the game will be in Kinnick. Iowa defense will be very solid and this ain't the Big 12 where all offensive stats are inflated..

And ISU has to basically replace their offensive line and the game will be in Kinnick. Iowa defense will be very solid and this ain't the Big 12 where all offensive stats are inflated..

Oh but if you go read their post season autopsy on CyFan, the players stepping up have more talent if you can get that twisted logic. That somehow they played with players less talented than what was on the bench this year. That is from one of their writers, not some dude like CyTwins.

Will come down to QB road play. 1st test is at Minn on a f'n Friday. Like to Minn HS coaches steer any players elsewhere

Petras is not a shy nervous boy.

Best comment from Stanley about Petras was that in his mind Petras can make all the throws. Gotta have that confidence.

As I researched before last year's draft, these mocks aren't that accurate. That's why AJE told me earlier this month that he was leaning on his evaluation from the league, which is not foolproof.

We're going to see a lot of these mocks from now until the draft.

Here's one with AJE and TW in the Top 10:

LINK

Really wish the NFL and NCAA would allow the equivalent of stop limits during the draft, where a player could declare for draft and state ahead of time if I am not drafted by pick X then I am out and going back to school. That way everyone knows ahead of the draft and teams could all know and plan accordingly.

What are everyone’s expectations for the offense next year compared to what we saw this year?

Personally I expect better offensive production, okay that’s not exactly a high bar, but potentially much better offensive production.

I say this because of all the playmakers we return. Goodson with a year in the S&C program should be that much better. ISM had a monster final two games, Smith is a physical freak, Tracy working on those hands and route running. LaPorta starting to emerge. Petras is going to be put in a fairly decent situation where he isn’t asked to do too much.

As always it starts with the run game, which we absolutely need to improve, and I think we can. Offensive line might surprise some folks and I think the interior play will improve. We can’t replace Wirfs but I do think Kallenberger will be solid at RT.

What say you on next years Iowa offense?

our offensive production could have been a lot better if our OC had been more consistent and if our qb had not missed so many open throws. if petras is simply more consistently accurate and our OC figures more things out and we play to score points and not manage the clock, i think by default we should have much better offensive production. gotta keep in mind that stanley missed many...not several, but many, open rcvrs that would have been clear td's.

Great point. Hope you’re right. To clarify, I agree that regardless of anyone’s expectations and any recruiting (star rating) analysis, Iowa continually churns out NFL DBs. I have no reason to believe that will change next year and that Matt Hankins and Julius Brents are “next”.

The D line comparison is tough because last year we lost all of our “returning starters”, but brought back AJE - who we all basically thought was a preseason all American (talent level). Looking at next year, I sure hope Gholston takes the next step in his senior year. I’m excited about Nixon, and other young talent on the DL like Logan Lee and Waggoner. But I think the DL 2 deep looks a little thin. Maybe that’s a natural (uneducated) thought at this stage, with a lot new guys set to be stepping in next year.
To be quite honest I’ve been a little disappointed in the DB recruiting. I really thought we could capitalize on King, Jackson, and Hooker better than we have, similar to what we are doing right now with TEs. I guess Brents, DJ Johnson, and Craddieth were fairly highly regarded but all in the same class. Since that class though it’s been mostly under the radar guys with Iowa beating out G5 schools. I understand Phil is good at identifying under the radar DBs but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t pursue higher rated guys if we think we have a chance. Think we’ve lose some momentum on that front.

For next year I think DT depth will be fine, I’m super high on Logan Lee and I think Nixon will be borderline dominant next year in there. Shulte and Shannon provide depth and I wouldn’t sleep on Logan Jones being ready to get reps. Defensive end is where it gets a tad questionable as VanValkenburg didn’t show much this year.

I think the answer to that question is we just need to be able to effectively run the ball. The promising part here is that listening to that Kirk interview with Leistikow, this is squarely on Kirk's radar and he said he is going to address it this off season. With respect to everything else that Kirk has devoted to, I have no doubt this will get done. I think back to a time when we couldn't get a pass rush. We ended up bringing in guys, came up with a new package, started strategically blitzing, and since our pass rush has been feared. I remember when our secondary was not very good and it seemed we couldn't get talented corners. We have them in spades now. I know it took a while, but we finally went to a different sub package against running quarterbacks and slot receivers, and developed the cash. And I remember our wide receiver situation, which has always been sporadic at best, was so dire that we were forced to play a couple true freshmen because there was literally nobody else, and now we have a 4 star on the bench.

It will get done. I dont think our program has ever been in a better place, or atleast in a very long time, and so the coaches have the luxury of fine tuning more now than in recent years trying to fix gaping holes.
This... so much this. I think Iowa had kind of a down recruiting period if you will for awhile. I think Kirk was a little stubborn and thought he could just develop all of his players. The influx of younger more relatable coaches on our staff with Brian, Kelvin Bell, Tyler Barnes, Derrick Foster, Kelton Copeland, Levar Woods etc has really helped us on the recruiting trail recently. We’ve done a lot more stuff with wearing different jerseys, social media etc. (yes this stuff really matters). The staff has done a much better job marketing our program recently and it’s paid huge dividends in recruiting.

As you have stated the program is in a very good state and if we can get the offense, particularly the run game on track we should be looking at some very good teams. The staff and players will have to keep working though because as we’ve seen it can go the other way fairly quickly if you’re not careful.

Anyone worried about next year's QB play should just chill cuz everyone knows that all QB's under Ferentz are best their first year, then regress.

(That was sarcasm in case you can't tell)

As long as Brian is in charge I would expect the offense to be about the same year after year after year. He will pull out a good game against an awful defense like he did against USC, everyone goes crazy and thinks our offense has finally turned the corner, and then back to the same old same old. New qb, who will be a step up from Nate, but he has no experience thanks to the brain trust that is KF and BF. Wirfs will be a huge loss, Goodson is still our only quality back, unless IKM emerges. Same receivers, who even though are the best we have had in a while, are still mediocre compared to other conference schools. ISM is atop the list there, but he disappears for long stretches and can be inconsistent. It sure would help to have a mobile qb like every other team seems to have, but it doesn't sound like Petras is all that mobile either. One good thing is the defense will always be good.

I think the answer to that question is we just need to be able to effectively run the ball. The promising part here is that listening to that Kirk interview with Leistikow, this is squarely on Kirk's radar and he said he is going to address it this off season. With respect to everything else that Kirk has devoted to, I have no doubt this will get done. I think back to a time when we couldn't get a pass rush. We ended up bringing in guys, came up with a new package, started strategically blitzing, and since our pass rush has been feared. I remember when our secondary was not very good and it seemed we couldn't get talented corners. We have them in spades now. I know it took a while, but we finally went to a different sub package against running quarterbacks and slot receivers, and developed the cash. And I remember our wide receiver situation, which has always been sporadic at best, was so dire that we were forced to play a couple true freshmen because there was literally nobody else, and now we have a 4 star on the bench.

It will get done. I dont think our program has ever been in a better place, or atleast in a very long time, and so the coaches have the luxury of fine tuning more now than in recent years trying to fix gaping holes.
A running game makes for the best of QBs...

I love the 49ers offense. Great fullback, great TE, and pretty speedy receivers. They run a lot of inside and outside zone concepts as well. Whoever said we should go visit SF is spot on. I’d love to copy their route concepts because their receivers are constantly open.

The really top notch passing game OC's know how to manipulate the safeties, either pushing them back or bringing them forward and then getting another receiver behind or in front of them where the open holes are. It is beautiful to watch when it is working with receivers on two or three levels.

It is like the multi-level chess game that Spock and Captain Kirk, William Shatner not our Capt Kirk, used to play on the original Star Trek series.

Iowa needs to figure out an offense that can beat Wisconsin, everything else will fall in place if that happens.

Well, if you can power block and combo block figuring out their 3-4 and run the ball better it would help against Wisky. The drive this year where Toren Young and the Oline was gouging Wisky for big chunks of yards was looking oh so promising until that fumble. Run the ball better maybe by going with more power straight at them and against a 3-4 you have to handle that nose guard. Does Wisky lose their really good nose guard?

Basically the last 2 years the hawk defense has held Wisky offense to 14-21 TRUE points. The offense needs to get to that 28 point level instead of 17 and 21 points.

If you can run and stay ahead of the chains against Wisky then play action them to move the chains.

I know , easier said than done but Iowa has done it before.

As long as Brian is in charge I would expect the offense to be about the same year after year after year. He will pull out a good game against an awful defense like he did against USC, everyone goes crazy and thinks our offense has finally turned the corner, and then back to the same old same old. New qb, who will be a step up from Nate, but he has no experience thanks to the brain trust that is KF and BF. Wirfs will be a huge loss, Goodson is still our only quality back, unless IKM emerges. Same receivers, who even though are the best we have had in a while, are still mediocre compared to other conference schools. ISM is atop the list there, but he disappears for long stretches and can be inconsistent. It sure would help to have a mobile qb like every other team seems to have, but it doesn't sound like Petras is all that mobile either. One good thing is the defense will always be good.
I think calling plays is one of the most difficult things to do in football and easily the most questioned by fans. Brian has absolutely taken his lumps so far I was extremely critical especially after the Michigan game.

With that said he’s a young play caller that can improve. One thing I do believe he knows very well are how to use schemes and formations to our advantage. I believe the Holiday Bowl performance is a good indication of that, not so much that USC is a great D, but just the uniqueness in formations and play calling.

I think this full offseason with all the playmakers we have will give him an opportunity to really do that. Now his in game play calling and adjustments need to improve and that’s still a question mark. One thing was this year the poor interior blocking severely limited what we could do in many games. If we can get the run game going, along with Brian’s creativity and the playmakers we have I do think we can see a marked improvement to our offense.

Well, if you can power block and combo block figuring out their 3-4 and run the ball better it would help against Wisky. The drive this year where Toren Young and the Oline was gouging Wisky for big chunks of yards was looking oh so promising until that fumble. Run the ball better maybe by going with more power straight at them and against a 3-4 you have to handle that nose guard. Does Wisky lose their really good nose guard?

Basically the last 2 years the hawk defense has held Wisky offense to 14-21 TRUE points. The offense needs to get to that 28 point level instead of 17 and 21 points.

If you can run and stay ahead of the chains against Wisky then play action them to move the chains.

I know , easier said than done but Iowa has done it before.
Well, I live in Wisconsin, I don't like losing to those arrogant wastes.

At least OSU crushes them to shut them up :) But I feel "dirty" celebrating any OSU wins.

That is always helpful. Wisconsin has had the key plays for too long. Iowa left wondering and wanting more and wondering why and how.

It didn't hurt that Wisconsin has had the best RBs in football for a number of years. Even when we knew Taylor was getting the ball we couldn't stop him.

It didn't hurt that Wisconsin has had the best RBs in football for a number of years. Even when we knew Taylor was getting the ball we couldn't stop him.

Yeah, if Taylor sees a gap he attacks it but if there is no hole to start with he is very patient hiding behind his linemen until he sees it and goes, like Shaquon Barkley

Latest posts