2020 offense vs. 2019 offense

NikeHawk21

What are everyone’s expectations for the offense next year compared to what we saw this year?

Personally I expect better offensive production, okay that’s not exactly a high bar, but potentially much better offensive production.

I say this because of all the playmakers we return. Goodson with a year in the S&C program should be that much better. ISM had a monster final two games, Smith is a physical freak, Tracy working on those hands and route running. LaPorta starting to emerge. Petras is going to be put in a fairly decent situation where he isn’t asked to do too much.

As always it starts with the run game, which we absolutely need to improve, and I think we can. Offensive line might surprise some folks and I think the interior play will improve. We can’t replace Wirfs but I do think Kallenberger will be solid at RT.

What say you on next years Iowa offense?

I think if nobody declares, we have to be favored in the west, and that's saying something with a new qb.

I expect the freshmen Goodson and Laporta to be better and more productive.

Tracy could be a superstar if he can learn how to hold on to a catch consistently.

Ragaini, ISM, Brandon Smith, Sargent, Young, IKM have hit their peaks and should perform about the same.

I saw that oliver had a shoulder injury? He could see a jump in productivity next year.

Words is gone. Big loss. Other seniors on the line not such a big loss. Linderbaum should get better.

Bottom line, if Iowa runs the same schemes with same blocking style, Iowa will see no improvement. If Iowa tweaks its blocking style and offensive schemes, it could be interesting.

Iowa learned from the Holiday bowl, they need to run a lot more misdirection against aggressive defenses. Be interesting if they keep doing that in 2020.

Petras is a 4 star who beat out Mansel. I expect after some growing pains early, he should be better than Stanley.

It took me awhile to embrace the idea of Iowa varying blocking schemes, but I’m definitely there after watching Illinois, Nebraska and USC shut down stretch play with an explosive back like T Good. Those defenses stink.

I’m not saying the Hawks need to entirely abandon the zone blocking, but we need some more hat-on-hat and other run-scheme alterations. I like the jet-sweep action and would like to see more RPO integrated. This is as good as Iowa has been at skill positions in quite some time. Don’t waste it with an antiquated system.

I expect the freshmen Goodson and Laporta to be better and more productive.

Tracy could be a superstar if he can learn how to hold on to a catch consistently.

Ragaini, ISM, Brandon Smith, Sargent, Young, IKM have hit their peaks and should perform about the same.

I saw that oliver had a shoulder injury? He could see a jump in productivity next year.

Words is gone. Big loss. Other seniors on the line not such a big loss. Linderbaum should get better.

Bottom line, if Iowa runs the same schemes with same blocking style, Iowa will see no improvement. If Iowa tweaks its blocking style and offensive schemes, it could be interesting.

Iowa learned from the Holiday bowl, they need to run a lot more misdirection against aggressive defenses. Be interesting if they keep doing that in 2020.

Petras is a 4 star who beat out Mansel. I expect after some growing pains early, he should be better than Stanley.
I’m not sure some of those guys you listed are at their ceiling. Ragaini is a freshman that had some drops, at the very least he can clean that up. Brandon Smith I would argue is nowhere near his football ceiling. His physical tools are awesome but he can improve route running, catching, and run after the catch. He’s improved every year he’s been here, I wouldn’t bet against it.

My thing with Brian is that I believe he’s pretty good with schemes and formations (outside of the zone blocking running which is a Kirk thing IMO) and I think the performance this bowl game shows that. He just struggles with in game play calling and adjustments at times. Calling plays isn’t easy, so it’s possible he gets better there. I’m excited for him to add some wrinkles throughout this offseason with all the playmakers we now have.

Will come down to QB road play. 1st test is at Minn on a f'n Friday. Like to Minn HS coaches steer any players elsewhere

It took me awhile to embrace the idea of Iowa varying blocking schemes, but I’m definitely there after watching Illinois, Nebraska and USC shut down stretch play with an explosive back like T Good. Those defenses stink.

I’m not saying the Hawks need to entirely abandon the zone blocking, but we need some more hat-on-hat and other run-scheme alterations. I like the jet-sweep action and would like to see more RPO integrated. This is as good as Iowa has been at skill positions in quite some time. Don’t waste it with an antiquated system.

It isn’t all about the blocking schemes though either. I have posted in the past they need to mix it up in terms of scheme but watching the game the other night how many times did Goodson stop his feet and try to cut back. That cannot happen in the zone schemes. You need to make a cut and get up field or ride the blocks to the sidelines. Once his feet stopped he is dead in his tracks especially against athletic d lineman that pursue or shoot gaps.

If the athletic d lines are shooting the gaps and we cannot cut them down like we did in the past that is where the major problem is coming from because you cannot run zone schemes and allow gap penetration.

I don’t necessarily feel it needs a full scale change just more flexibility and unpredictability in how they run. I would like to see more pulling and more hat on hat blocking with pitches and a traditional sweep look to get outside the tackles

I want to relegate the zone blocking to a trick play type status. I want our offensive line to find someone and hit them and Goodson to pick his opening.

I want our play makers to be allowed to mke plays.

I want our offensive line coach to improve.

I want our HC to turn the offense over to the OC and let him do what he was hired to do.

I want our HC to be the CEO. I want him to glad hand the boosters and enjoy what the OC and DC do. Let them run the football side of the business. KF take care of the culture of the program that you have built.

I want KF to ease into retirement with a program that is awesome and enjoy what you have built. Be the guy that lets his subordinates take the program to new heights.

There is so much potential here and KF needs to let it flourish. Do not let your 1950s mindset get in the way

2020 is going to be a tough year. But we have athletes and size. Let the coaches you hired do what they were hired to do.

It isn’t all about the blocking schemes though either. I have posted in the past they need to mix it up in terms of scheme but watching the game the other night how many times did Goodson stop his feet and try to cut back. That cannot happen in the zone schemes. You need to make a cut and get up field or ride the blocks to the sidelines. Once his feet stopped he is dead in his tracks especially against athletic d lineman that pursue or shoot gaps.

If the athletic d lines are shooting the gaps and we cannot cut them down like we did in the past that is where the major problem is coming from because you cannot run zone schemes and allow gap penetration.

I don’t necessarily feel it needs a full scale change just more flexibility and unpredictability in how they run. I would like to see more pulling and more hat on hat blocking with pitches and a traditional sweep look to get outside the tackles

Agreed. As I wrote, I’m not looking for complete abandonment of zone. It can be effective as it was against Minnesota with less predictability and misdirection added in. And there will be times when RBs miss read.

There were too many times during last 3 games when Goodson had no chance, though. Linebackers and safeties just saw outside zone and raced to ball carrier with a numbers advantage.

Agreed. As I wrote, I’m not looking for complete abandonment of zone. It can be effective as it was against Minnesota with less predictability and misdirection added in. And there will be times when RBs miss read.

There were too many times during last 3 games when Goodson had no chance, though. Linebackers and safeties just saw outside zone and raced to ball carrier with a numbers advantage.
I would add too many times over the last several years that linebackers shot in and blew up plays in the backfield where the ball carrier had no chance. Negative running plays are devastating to drives, it’s amazing we’ve had the success we’ve had considering how bad of a running team we’ve been, but we’ve been very good defensively.

I agree with you that we should be able to run on those defenses, however, I wonder how much of our success against those teams was a direct result of the opponent over pursuing at the line of scrimmage? I am not saying we shouldn't address the blocking scheme, but is it worth it to use the run to set up the pass? Against USC, a team I am sure our coaching staff knew we had to score points against, pretty much everything we did on the weak side of the field worked. The jet sweep, the reverse pass, and that throw.back to la porta on that last drive was beautiful. If teams decide they need to stay home on that stuff does the stretch play work?

I would add too many times over the last several years that linebackers shot in and blew up plays in the backfield where the ball carrier had no chance. Negative running plays are devastating to drives, it’s amazing we’ve had the success we’ve had considering how bad of a running team we’ve been, but we’ve been very good defensively.

Good point. Stanley has been one of the best QBs in the nation in 3rd and long over the last couple years. Look at how many times we were behind the sticks on Friday and he helped bail us out.

I agree with you that we should be able to run on those defenses, however, I wonder how much of our success against those teams was a direct result of the opponent over pursuing at the line of scrimmage? I am not saying we shouldn't address the blocking scheme, but is it worth it to use the run to set up the pass? Against USC, a team I am sure our coaching staff knew we had to score points against, pretty much everything we did on the weak side of the field worked. The jet sweep, the reverse pass, and that throw.back to la porta on that last drive was beautiful. If teams decide they need to stay home on that stuff does the stretch play work?

Well I can guarantee they didn't know what was coming, because I have been watching Iowa football for a long time and I didn't know half the time what was coming.

Yep. Time to change it up. The evidence is in.

I havent seen Petras run with the ball and if can move even close to Clemson's qb or Fields I say put in some RPO. But if the qb is not mobile dont do much RPO at all

What are everyone’s expectations for the offense next year compared to what we saw this year?

Personally I expect better offensive production, okay that’s not exactly a high bar, but potentially much better offensive production.

I say this because of all the playmakers we return. Goodson with a year in the S&C program should be that much better. ISM had a monster final two games, Smith is a physical freak, Tracy working on those hands and route running. LaPorta starting to emerge. Petras is going to be put in a fairly decent situation where he isn’t asked to do too much.

As always it starts with the run game, which we absolutely need to improve, and I think we can. Offensive line might surprise some folks and I think the interior play will improve. We can’t replace Wirfs but I do think Kallenberger will be solid at RT.

What say you on next years Iowa offense?

We'll see that young quarterback do some really good things and mistakes that will remind us of what we took for granted with Stanley.

I think Brian came to realize that there are lots of plays out there that he could run...and we'll see more variety in the future.

Bottom line the O should be better.

I havent seen Petras run with the ball and if can move even close to Clemson's qb or Fields I say put in some RPO. But if the qb is not mobile dont do much RPO at all

Phillie (NFL) was very successful running RPO with Foles in Chip Kelly's first year there. It is more important that the QB is a quick decision-maker with a quick, accurate release than that he is a dynamic runner. Don't get me wrong, being a running threat is a huge plus, but you can certainly be a Tanner Morgan type athlete and have tremendous success in an RPO offense.

Phillie (NFL) was very successful running RPO with Foles in Chip Kelly's first year there. It is more important that the QB is a quick decision-maker with a quick, accurate release than that he is a dynamic runner. Don't get me wrong, being a running threat is a huge plus, but you can certainly be a Tanner Morgan type athlete and have tremendous success in an RPO offense.

No kidding, Tanner Morgan looks like a scrub on the outside, but when asked to play within the system and only make about 3 different throws, he looked like a hero.

Tanner Morgan isn’t a great runner but he’s adept at RPO. It’s not just the threat of the QB running. It’s his decision making and deception in either handing it off to the RB or pulling it out and throwing. It could be viewed as another form of play action.

Latest posts